Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glucosamine and Chondroitin

Graham Smith

I'm not a big believer in the efficacy of supplements that make broad health claims, but I've been having some joint problems this year and at my annual physical today, the Dr suggest I give Glucosamine and Chondroitin a try. To paraphrase her, "It can't hurt to give it a try for 6 months."

Now the problem is, there are dozens of different brands and concentrations with widely varying prices and none of it is regulated! One can easily end up buying sugar pills and wouldn't know the difference. So, has anyone had any experience with any brands and dosage that they could share?

My wife doesn't believe in supplements, either, but

the first time she tried a Gluc, she felt the

difference in an hour:)

I just buy whatever Sam's Club has - seems to

work pretty well - she takes only one a day, even

though the label says to take 2/day.

Good luck, hope it works as well for you as it

did for my wife.

Jack

I've tried a few of the "expensive" brands and they worked no better than the others, just cost more.

FWIW, it takes 1-2 weeks to feel any change and at least a month before the maximum benefit is derived, so don't give up on it after day one. Not going to argue Jack's wife's claim, but it is highly improbable.

There is also a liquid version that I've bought at WalMart. Supposed quicker absorption than going the pill route.

But I take three pills every day at breakfast, or drink one of the aforementioned bottles at some point during the day.

FWIW, it takes 1-2 weeks to feel any change and at least a month before the maximum benefit is derived, so don't give up on it after day one. Not going to argue Jack's wife's claim, but it is highly improbable.

For some people, belief is more powerful than the drug. Dr told me to start to look for results during the 2nd month and to go for at least 6 months.

Looks like the recommended dose is 1500mg Glucosamine and 1200mg Chondroitin per day total.

A buddy of mine talked me into takeing ostio-biflex. I'm a HUGE non-believer in snake oils but my knees hurt so bad I decided to give it a try. After a couple of months I could really feel the difference. Got off it for a while and the pain started again. I'm a believer now.

I think they work quite well. I get the Sams club variety as well.

There's also something called Joint Juice which is a drink, thaqt claims to have the same benefit. Little more expensive when they sell 6 bottles for $3 or $4 but I wanted to try it once. It's not bad, tastes a little funny, but you get used to it. It didn't make much more difference than the pills do, but I thought maybe the morning before a workout, or a match it couldn't hurt to get some liquid Glucosomine in my body, as an addition suppliment.

if you do a internet search, you will find no science based factual proof of validity that this supplement works. I wish our overpaid FDA would regulate Supplements the way they regulate cancer meds.

Might be true that you won't find the info...however...I worked at a Biotech pharmaceutical that made a protein to treat septic shock. Thousands of people die from septic shock every year. Anyway, the long and short is there were trials, and the protein worked, but the FDA regulations were SO restrictive and frankly ignorant of the methodology that the required "co-treatments" masked and even hampered the effectiveness. Millions were wasted and thousands that could be alive are now dead because of an overly regulated FDA. Made me sick, still does.

Most of the drugs we have today that WORK would not be approved under the modern FDA mandated trials. Due to the cost, the FDA has basically prevented scientific trials on these types of products. So while you are partly right, it is less than the whole story.

Edited by MarkCO

Cosamin DS is the one to get. You want the one that has manganese with it which this does. It does take a couple months as it has to build up in the system. My father has had several people using it for a while with good results. He has probibally the only pharmacist run natural health/FFL stores around lol

I'm not a big believer in the efficacy of supplements that make broad health claims, but I've been having some joint problems this year and at my annual physical today, the Dr suggest I give Glucosamine and Chondroitin a try. To paraphrase her, "It can't hurt to give it a try for 6 months."

What kind of doctor? Somebody with an actual M.D. degree from an accredited medical school in the United States?

What kind of doctor? Somebody with an actual M.D. degree from an accredited medical school in the United States?

Yup. I've been doing some reading and the results of testing are somewhat erratic, part of this is probably because the results are fairly subjective. But the interest is growing and some of the bigger names are starting to find that long term studies do show some good results. Also, it's starting to appear that the effectiveness is greater in cases moderate Osteoarthritis and less so in cases of Rheumatoid arthritis.

It works for me with my abused body and old injuries from my younger days...knee, shoulder, ankle, etc. It takes about 2 weeks for me to see results and when I run out I can feel pains and stiffness coming back in about 3 to 5 days. Its kind of expensive and I really dont know if there is a big difference in brands so I buy the one on sale if possible. If you try it give it a while to take effect then after a few months let yourself run out of it, if you are like me you will be buying more.

By golly, if Glucoasmine is good enough for the Mayo clinic, it's good enough for me...

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/glucosamine/NS_patient-glucosamine/DSECTION=evidence

Hold on now. Your post seems to indicate that Mayo Clinic administers or recommends the use of these supplements, and I don't really think that's the case. If you read the entire article from Mayo, the real message of that piece is "lack of sufficient evidence" and "more studies are needed before a firm conclusion can be made."

By golly by gosh.

Edited by Carmoney

if you do a internet search, you will find no science based factual proof of validity that this supplement works. I wish our overpaid FDA would regulate Supplements the way they regulate cancer meds.

My parents own a vitamin shop and asking the Fed govt to regulate vitamins is something they have tried before and it is a double edged sword.

While I do agree that there is a lot of "crud" out there in the vitamin and supplement world....To simplify a lot of discussion, If the FDA were to regulate them, they want to make vitamins "prescription only." Do you want to go to the doctor to get a prescription to get some vitamin C? Not me... It would also make the vitamins cost more because of the "administrative fees" necessary to test and administer the regulations.

That being said, if you read the bottle it should give you a good idea of the ingredients and the quality of it. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would rate the Sams club stuff at a good solid 7. Better than most but not as good as some.

I like the joint juice Liquid It works well better for me than the pills (and does not make me burp vitamin burps) BUT, just like guns, Everyone is different so try things and see which one works best for *you!*

Cost - this is where it gets REAL complicated. There seems to be no end to the various ways this stuff is packaged and marketed. Alone, in combination, different additives and formulations, different concentrations, different package sizes, etc.

Looking at some of the bigger drug store offerings, I have found that you have to be very careful to read the fine print regarding how many pills constitutes the recommended dosage. For example, I have found several examples that are labeled in big bold print as 1500mg only to look and see that each capsule is really just 500mg and that the daily dosage is 3. So a 150 count bottle is only 50 days. And I have found several big name store brands that have no mention at all of what the concentration is so there is no way to tell what you are getting. THIS is what I really hate about "nutritional supplements". <sigh>

By golly, if Glucoasmine is good enough for the Mayo clinic, it's good enough for me...

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/glucosamine/NS_patient-glucosamine/DSECTION=evidence

Hold on now. Your post seems to indicate that Mayo Clinic administers or recommends the use of these supplements, and I don't really think that's the case. If you read the entire article from Mayo, the real message of that piece is "lack of sufficient evidence" and "more studies are needed before a firm conclusion can be made."

By golly by gosh.

Well, the Mayo clinic indicates that there's good basis for the use of this particular supplement for osteoarthritis. (And we might assume a low/acceptable risk for the benefit.) But that's why I put the link there, so you can inform yourself.

If there was really a lot of evidence, someone would turn it into a patent, like they did with Niacin, and it'd be $100 per pill.... :D

I've been having a little problem with a knee, so after reading this I bought a small bottle of Glucosamine Chondroitin to try for a few weeks. You are absolutely right about the serving size thing. I got CVS double strength 60 tablets ( cost 20 bones!) and it says to take three tablets a day for that 1500mg level. Should have got the triple strength but wanted to try it first.