Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Migrating into USPSA...

toddje

So, I've been mostly an on-again-off-again IDPA shooter for the past year or so. Lots of time off of shooting though, due to some scheduling issues, but I think I want to try my hand at USPSA. I've been shooting mostly SSP (a S&W M&P) in IDPA. I'm thinking about dusting off the 1911 for USPSA in Single Stack. But since I'm completely unclassified in USPSA and my chances to make matches are limited, I'll probably need to only compete in one division. I'm seeking advice on what to shoot (and therefore what division to shoot) in USPSA. Your opinions are therefore very welcome here...

By the way, if you pick "Buy a new gun" above, please let me know which one and why you recommend it.

Thanks.

If you think you will only have time to shoot 1 division on occasion, then I would pick whichever one you: A) like shooting more and B)shoot better and can hit your target with.

:cheers:

I voted for SS bc I love 1911s and you cant beat a good single action 1911 trigger :)

If you think you will only have time to shoot 1 division on occasion, then I would pick whichever one you: A) like shooting more and B)shoot better and can hit your target with.

Yeah, but that's what I'm soliciting advice for. Which one do you suggest I might like more? I think your answer B, above may have a lot to do with how well I maximize A.

Production is the most restrictive division with regard to equipment. Therefore, I think it's best to start there so you can see where you are with your shooting without also comparing your equipment with everyone else's. It's also the least expensive division to actively shoot, especially in 9mm. I think that Production is the most level playing field in USPSA from a skills perspective. As for me, I don't have the money to compete in an arms race with other shooters...I'm just in the middle of the pack as it is in Production.

I voted to buy a new gun. Why? Getting a new gun is like getting a puppy for Xmas. Can't be beat. Now for the real reason. I too was an IDPA shooter for many years. A buddy of mine finally talked me into shooting a USPSA match. Haven't looked back since. I purchased an STI Eagle 40 cal with a bushing. It is legal for IDPA (ESP), Limited and Limited 10. Hard to beat.

I voted to buy a new gun as I don't think much of some of your arsenal.

Get a Glock 35. You can shoot it in Production and Limited and all you have to really do is put more rounds in the mag for limited.

I'm usually shoot limited with a 2011 so I voted for 1911 because that's my preferred platform. I'm waiting on a new limted gun so I'm shooting SSD now and having a boat load of fun. I like SSD so much I'm planning a new SS gun.

Really, shoot what you have. If you have gear for both, shoot both. Get a little time and a few matches in each division under your belt and you'll be able to decide what you like.

Either way, if you shoot both IDPA and USPSA, I highly recommend picking one gun for both. The best divisions for this are Production and Single Stack because the equipment rules are almost identical (other than being able to shoot non SS guns in CDP or ESP in IDPA). Production = SSP, Single Stack minor = ESP, Single Stack Major = CDP.

Just shoot your M&P in Production. It sounds like shooting time is limited so you should focus on a single platform.

If you get bored with it down the road, order up couple Taylor Freelance extended basepads (+5/+6) and extra power mag springs and go play in Limited.

Thanks, folks. Special nod to ErichF and jar - I like your thinking.

And sorry, but I'm not going to buy another Glock. Why would I with all the M&P models I don't own yet? :D

Anyone else with some wisdom?

Thanks, folks. Special nod to ErichF and jar - I like your thinking.

And sorry, but I'm not going to buy another Glock. Why would I with all the M&P models I don't own yet? :D

...And I like your thinking ;)

I would suggest a new gun, too...an XDm 5.25, but I'm a bit biased B)

Edited by ErichF

By the way, if you pick "Buy a new gun" above, please let me know which one and why you recommend it.

I always think it is best to run what you have in any new style (provided it is allowed) of competition. As a 20 year Glocker who has now sold off most of his Glock and has a new M&P, I'd vote to use the M&P in Production and Limited Minor at least twice each before you switch up anything. If you enjoy the fewer reloads, you are maybe primed for a M&P Pro in 40. If you like the reloads, maybe Production or SS is for you.

Going from IDPA to USPSA will be a tad different, if not uncomfortable, so sticking with the gun you are the most comfortable with is a great benefit.

I shot G35s to A class in Limited and then sold them all and shot Revolver and SS at the last USPSA match, so maybe I am just all wacko. :surprise:

I voted to buy a new gun as I don't think much of some of your arsenal.

Get a Glock 35. You can shoot it in Production and Limited and all you have to really do is put more rounds in the mag for limited.

I actually had/started IDPA with a Glock 17. It was ok, but I never did get used to the grip and I always felt more like I had to drive the gun, rather than simply "point" with it like i do with 1911's and M&P's. So I have nothing bad to say about Glocks, but they're not my preference. I might try one of those 4th gen's sometime...

I know there are some folks who dont like M&P's out here. My M&P doesn't seem to have the accuracy issues described by some here and runs like a top.

Anyway - looks like most folks think Production is the way to start. The logic makes sense to me. Focus on the rules/how-to, rather than working on equipment. I like that. And you all are right - I probably will only ever have time to participate in one division, at least until I get the kids out of the house.

My suggestion would be using the M&P 9mm in Limited, or using the M&P .45ACP in Limited 10. That way you can use either to their full magazine capacity, and for the .45 ACP you would get major scoring.

The 1911 would be a good choice also, but my first choice would be limited with the M&P Pro 9mm. That way you could focus more on shooting than reloading.

I picked buy a new gun.

If you shoot or have shot IDPA and you are looking to try USPSA, and you are asking a poll question which includes buying a new gun... then you are probably looking at changing out your rig anyway. Who doesn't like a little motivation to buy a new gun? :)

Seriously, what you use / used in IDPA will work. You may have to pick up some more mags and mag pouches possibly, but you can use what you have been shooting.

The question is, will that scratch the itch? Or to put it another way, why are you looking to shoot USPSA? That is a rhetorical question...

*If* you like shooting what you have and 8-10 round magazines is your comfort zone, but you are looking at USPSA because of some of the stage option differences such as... moving target differences, more steel, the ability to solve the stage puzzle how you want instead of following a scenario recreation - but again, you really enjoy shooting what you have with limited round mag counts - then don't change your gun. Shoot USPSA 'Production' with your M&P or USPSA 'Single Stack' with your 1911 and stick with what you know and enjoy. Then you will focus your new experience on the differences in matches between the two games. You will have a blast and be just fine in these divisions with your gear. You could of course buy a new gun like the XD5.25 or whatever suits your fancy, but no reason you cannot enjoy what you have in USPSA.

*If* the USPSA itch you are feeling includes a desire to shoot stages with higher round counts (up to 32), shooting on the move (run & gun), having more rounds at your disposal, reloading fast while moving, and exploring the tech & gear differences afforded to you in USPSA that perhaps were not available in IDPA, then you probably do NOT want to shoot Production, Single Stack or even Limited 10 USPSA divisions... if you fall into this mind set, then you are prbably looking at Limited or Open division. If so, then I would say you are probably looking at a new gun and gear to scratch the USPSA itch you are feeling. If you fall into the Limited bracket (you like hard sights), I would suggest STI EDGE or similar in .40 S&W tuned by your preferred gunsmith to your liking. If you say you want a red dot and a compensator with a 170mm big stick so you can hoze at top speed, you are in Open and you need to explore the realm of options out there, but you are probably going to land with a custom STI, SVI or Caspian based gun in 9mm or 38supercomp

In conclusion, I would let your motivation that is drawing you to USPSA guide your decision on which division to shoot. Once you know the division you are interested in, the gear and gun decisions become much easier.

Hope that helps,

Rob

:rolleyes: I came to the forum to write an introduction thread. I was supposed to do that in April. <_< Oh well. Found this thread interesting. I voted for M&P 9mm Pro and Production. That is what I have shot these last several years with a M&P 9mm Pro. I am looking to compete in Single Stack this year. :D Production is easiest to assembly the equipment for. You can then tell what is going on with the other divisions.