Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slug Shooting Tip I picked up this weekend

Thought about posting this under "What I like", but thought this forum may be more appropriate. Shot the FB3G this past weekend; had a great time and learned a lot. Perhaps the best lesson I got was from my buddy AlamoShooter as we drove home after the match.

We were talking about shooting slugs and he made the comment that it's difficult to "pin the trigger" to the rear on slug shots and then "wait for the slug to hit the target" before transitioning. I'd never heard this before so he explained that the relatively long lock-time of a shotgun, coupled with the low velocity of a slug meant that it was in the barrel a lot longer than rifle or pistol shots and that "Follow Through" was critical in shooting slugs. This piqued my interest since I've always been terrible at shooting slugs.

Went to the range Monday evening and tried out the new techniques of "pinning" the trigger and keeping the sights on target until after the recoil. The results were impressive (for me anyway). From an improvised rest, my 50yd 3-shot group was 3.25in; at 100yds my 4-shot group was only 3.75in.

Don't know if this new knowledge will make me a better slug shooter on the clock under match conditions, but it certainly improved my accuracy under range conditions.

ETA: Thanks Jamie!

Edited by Fullauto_Shooter

This may help too.

Patrick

Patrick - thanks for the great video. I've been shooting for years, but have near heard of "Pinning the trigger" until this past weekend. It makes perfect sense, but was one of those things I'd probably never have thought of on my own. Thanks again. :cheers:

pinning the trigger is simply an active act to get a person to "follow through". Which is a shooting fundamental that goes back to the bow and arrow days, for accurate shooting to take place "follow through" is a must. It is the last act of breaking an accurate shot.

Trapr

pinning the trigger is simply an active act to get a person to "follow through". Which is a shooting fundamental that goes back to the bow and arrow days, for accurate shooting to take place "follow through" is a must. It is the last act of breaking an accurate shot.

Trapr

Trapr,

Totally agree with you. Perhaps my biggest challenge is to exercise the mental patience required to "follow through" on shots while on the clock. At least I know now what I need to work on - I've identified the problem.

Think I need to use the same "pinning" technique on LR rifle shooting too (another big weak spot for me). Thanks for your thoughts. :cheers:

Doug

Trapr

Yeah, it's one of the fundamentals taught in the Appleseed Project for rifles.

Having learned bad habits first, follow-through has been a difficult thing for me to work in to my shooting. I have been most successful by deciding to think of trigger pull as beginning with the reset from the previous shot.

Patrick, I saw the over the shoulder shot and card shot but are there more tips like the pinning tip? Only found the 3. Going to have to go and try that one because it seems so basic but never talked of that I know of. Thanks!

Patrick, I saw the over the shoulder shot and card shot but are there more tips like the pinning tip? Only found the 3. Going to have to go and try that one because it seems so basic but never talked of that I know of. Thanks!

Thank you Mr. Grewe.

While I am planning on creating more videos, they take a bunch of time. ( I don't have a crew...just me from concept to final edit including in some cases original music). I really want to get some more video info out there while you guys think I still have some credibility!

As to the basics it is how I "try" to approach all disciplines of shooting. I ain't a Zen master just a fundamental shooter.

Patrick

Thank you Mr. Grewe.

While I am planning on creating more videos, they take a bunch of time. ( I don't have a crew...just me from concept to final edit including in some cases original music). I really want to get some more video info out there while you guys think I still have some credibility!

As to the basics it is how I "try" to approach all disciplines of shooting. I ain't a Zen master just a fundamental shooter.

Patrick

"Mr."??? My dad was mister. :D

Its Kent to everyone. I have to add although I have never had the pleasure of meeting you I find you one of the most open and down to earth shooters on the 3G nation show.

• 2 years later...

a solid follow through has been a staple for long range shooters for a very long time. It's a great thing to practice and does wonders for a consistent trigger break. It's great to work into dry firing drills.

• 3 weeks later...

something i use all the time in precision rifle shooting but pretty sure it goes by the way side when i shoot 3-gun. Pretty sure my mentality there is pull the trigger as fast as possible whether the sights are where there need to be or not! Should probably work on that hahah.