Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slug Shooting Tip I picked up this weekend

For what it's worth if you're shooting in a two man team (shooter, spotter) you should be able to communicate to your spotter where your shot broke ie 1 o'clock 2 o'clock etc. that way the spotter can make easier adjustments for you for wind and elevation knowing which way you pulled the shot. This is good practice to make sure you follow through and are watching exactly where your shot broke before and after. Once again this is know as "follow through". JF

a solid follow through has been a staple for long range shooters for a very long time. It's a great thing to practice and does wonders for a consistent trigger break. It's great to work into dry firing drills.

How can you practice pin and release in dry firing? Since you have to rack the slide to do a reset? Do you just pull and pin?

• 4 weeks later...

a solid follow through has been a staple for long range shooters for a very long time. It's a great thing to practice and does wonders for a consistent trigger break. It's great to work into dry firing drills.

How can you practice pin and release in dry firing? Since you have to rack the slide to do a reset? Do you just pull and pin?

Thats how I was taught...

As an Appleseed Instructor and Rifleman I can attest to the fundamental importance of follow through. I always ask my students this question...

"How Fast is the Bullet (slug/buck/bird/Whatever) going when you break the trigger?"

To which I get answers all over the board, some based on FPS... but the answer is always 0... the projectile is going exactly 0 when you squeeze that trigger. meaning any movement translates to POI shift. So you should always be practicing good trigger discipline regardless of what you are shooting.

How can you practice pin and release in dry firing?

Don't laugh. Practice shooting an air rifle or pistol. The pellet travels so slowly, its moving down the barrel for a (relatively) long time. It teaches you good follow through.

How can you practice pin and release in dry firing?

Don't laugh. Practice shooting an air rifle or pistol. The pellet travels so slowly, its moving down the barrel for a (relatively) long time. It teaches you good follow through.

I agree!

Funny thing is lately, when playing sporting clays, I have been getting my best scores with the low recoil Winchester AA... I am convinced it is because at sub 1000+FPS it spends more time in the barrel and I get a better swing... I have no scientific data to support this, but its is working, so I am sticking to it.

Yes...practice the trigger stroke with the correct follow through and then just bump the bolt back with the charging handle, release it and do it again. It's time consuming but it's a great cheap way to get familiar with your shotgun trigger. And keep in mind...You can do this with any firearms you have. I practice it most with my rifle because that's where I can see/feel the biggest difference. But that practice and trigger control will carry over to my shotgun.

I was just reading through all these posts again and I noticed this seems to be confusing to some people...because it's been referred to as "pinning" the trigger or "pin and release" and maybe the thread should have been called "someone taught me the importance of proper follow through on my trigger stroke."

google "proper trigger follow through" and all your prayers will be answered :)

I was just reading through all these posts again and I noticed this seems to be confusing to some people...because it's been referred to as "pinning" the trigger or "pin and release" and maybe the thread should have been called "someone taught me the importance of proper follow through on my trigger stroke."

google "proper trigger follow through" and all your prayers will be answered :)

I chose to use the term "pin the trigger" because that's how the concept was explained to me. You can call it whatever you want - I'm just glad the tip helped some guys improve their slug shooting.

Oh without a doubt. No disrespect meant....I just want guys to know you can read books with entire chapters dedicated to perfecting your trigger stroke and all the benefits that has with any competitive shooting.