Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR15.com Rockcastle Pro Am Aug 24-26 2012

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clairification? OK less than 10 feet is still more than 9 feet. Hope that helps.

I find it strange that you were allowed to be that close to the shooter while he was shooting the stage, that you would see the same thing as the R.O.. The instructions to the R.O.s was the benifit of the call goes to the shooter. If the R.O. decided it wasn't a safety concern he proceeded correctly. For example on Pro #6 we had a shooter who was reaching for shells, realised he had a bird in the air, and fired his shotgun with one hand from the hip. He broke the bird! Technically that would fit your definition as a D.Q., but how would you call that? he obviously hit the target, but what if he had missed? it,s only ok if you hit a traget? you are trying to paint black and white in a gray world, and I stand by the calls my R.O.s made, because they are the ones right there with the shooter not back behind the start box and guessing at what they saw.

I am not saying you are wrong. I know you believe you saw what you saw, but unless you were right there with the shooter and had the same exact view point as the R.O. it is afully hard to make the same call, but it sure is easy to "Monday Morning Quaterback". I know that the sports you watch on T.V. have had what you think are ref,s making "bad" calls, but unless you are on the field, and seeing what they see, it is best to give them the benifit of the doubt.

I would like to appologize to anyone who had "bad R.O.s", I felt we assembled a great field of R.O.s for the match, who were of the mind set to be there to help the shooters, not gleefully D.Q. any and all for "gray area" calls. Is everyone perfect? NO! Do we try YES! Hope in the end you had fun, drank free beer, walked a great prize table and will come back, if not I wish you well in your shooting endevors and hope to see you on down the shooting trail some time. Kurt Miller R.M. AR-15Pro-Am 3-Gun Match.

Kurt,

I guess I don't understand Rule 2.2.6 then. During a reload you accidentally fire your gun,(gun upside down, not aimed at a target) I have been taught is a ND. maybe my USPSA RO instructor didn't know what he was talking about. Being that I am not the only who who saw it, and questioned it, between ourselves, I don't think it was only me.

On this particular stage, it was easy to see the incident, as clear as the RO. I don't know what 9 or 10 feet have to do with Rule 2.2.6 either? For clarification, if I am reloading a gun during my course of fire and pull the trigger, accidentally or not, I am good to go?

Yes, it is easy to second guess anything. But as I said, the shooter knew what he did and stopped, until he was told to reload and continue on. Your example of Stage 6 isn't a ND, that was a one handed purposeful shot. I saw others do that and thought about it myself.

As I have stated, I enjoyed the match and plan to return. I hope that the next one is at-least 1/2 the fun as this one.

Kurt, could you drop me your email?

Katie did an awesome job on stage 6. When I got to the line, I leaned back and asked, "Port arms or low ready," just to confirm the start position. She snapped back, "Uh, low ready!" with just a little bit of sarcastic attitude. I got a kick out of it.

In fact all of the RO's did a great job. I did not witness a single one giving any shooter a hard time.

Here is my video:

One recommendation I would make for next yaer is to actually shuffle the names in the prize box before drawing.

6 guys from our squad were drawn in the bottom 15....:(

Are you from Team Hoser?

Coolest shirts at the match!

Nope, but I am gonna have a couple done up soon.

it will say "Team Me"

Cool! :lol:

The Crew in the cave side match was taking some video with night vision. Any ideas of when and ware to see any of that footage ?

The match was way better than the stage descriptions. A big thanks to all the crew that made this match an " EVENT "

I think maybe one or two guys at the match did not get to see my New scope though.

In fact all of the RO's did a great job. I did not witness a single one giving any shooter a hard time.

A good friend of mine had a serious issue of rifle zero envy at the end of stage 8. This particular shooter is quite a seasoned shooter with iron sights, but shot the match w/ an optically equipped rifle. One of the RO's told him straight up- "You need to go back to shooting irons!"

Of course, this RO is a good friend of the shooter and myself also, and said it with a smile. This is the sort of ribbing I think we have all come to expect from our friends. :cheers:

There were definitely some sneaky shooters. Apparently to save a few bucks, a shooter had brass ammo in the top few rounds of his mags which passed the magnet test but then had Wolf/Tula in the rest of the mag which did not pass the test. Too bad the RM was standing near him when dark cases started flying out of his gun. DQ!!!!

Clairification? OK less than 10 feet is still more than 9 feet. Hope that helps.

I find it strange that you were allowed to be that close to the shooter while he was shooting the stage, that you would see the same thing as the R.O.. The instructions to the R.O.s was the benifit of the call goes to the shooter. If the R.O. decided it wasn't a safety concern he proceeded correctly. For example on Pro #6 we had a shooter who was reaching for shells, realised he had a bird in the air, and fired his shotgun with one hand from the hip. He broke the bird! Technically that would fit your definition as a D.Q., but how would you call that? he obviously hit the target, but what if he had missed? it,s only ok if you hit a traget? you are trying to paint black and white in a gray world, and I stand by the calls my R.O.s made, because they are the ones right there with the shooter not back behind the start box and guessing at what they saw.

I am not saying you are wrong. I know you believe you saw what you saw, but unless you were right there with the shooter and had the same exact view point as the R.O. it is afully hard to make the same call, but it sure is easy to "Monday Morning Quaterback". I know that the sports you watch on T.V. have had what you think are ref,s making "bad" calls, but unless you are on the field, and seeing what they see, it is best to give them the benifit of the doubt.

I would like to appologize to anyone who had "bad R.O.s", I felt we assembled a great field of R.O.s for the match, who were of the mind set to be there to help the shooters, not gleefully D.Q. any and all for "gray area" calls. Is everyone perfect? NO! Do we try YES! Hope in the end you had fun, drank free beer, walked a great prize table and will come back, if not I wish you well in your shooting endevors and hope to see you on down the shooting trail some time. Kurt Miller R.M. AR-15Pro-Am 3-Gun Match.

Kurt sorry for all the drama I did not call a DQ for several reasons 1 the shot landed farther than 9 feet also he was not holdinging the gun upside down if it had went off while loading upside down it would have left his hands he was holding it with his strong hand and transitioning his weak hand to the forearm i was 2 feet away I did not feel that i should have stopped the shooter. I have RO for 16 years and have worked a lot of major matches and never had any issues with calls. hope to see you next year.

There were definitely some sneaky shooters. Apparently to save a few bucks, a shooter had brass ammo in the top few rounds of his mags which passed the magnet test but then had Wolf/Tula in the rest of the mag which did not pass the test. Too bad the RM was standing near him when dark cases started flying out of his gun. DQ!!!!

That should not be a DQ, that should be banishment from the match for life! That ain't sneaky, that is malicious! :angry2:

That should not be a DQ, that should be banishment from the match for life! That ain't sneaky, that is malicious! :angry2:

Life? blink.gif

Edited by Kevin Holman

I thought the dark cases similar to Wolf ammo was bad also, until Trapr corrected me after I asked about it...some of the dark cases are actually Hornady "Match Ammo"...passes the magnet test...Trapr showed me.

A good friend of mine had a serious issue of rifle zero envy at the end of stage 8. This particular shooter is quite a seasoned shooter with iron sights, but shot the match w/ an optically equipped rifle. One of the RO's told him straight up- "You need to go back to shooting irons!"

Not too far from the truth!

I can tell you that I aim more when the targets are 4 times smaller. :roflol:

I thought the dark cases similar to Wolf ammo was bad also, until Trapr corrected me after I asked about it...some of the dark cases are actually Hornady "Match Ammo"...passes the magnet test...Trapr showed me.

"Hornady Steel Match" does not have steel projectiles, just steel cases. I know because I ran down a shooter at RM3G, and JJ another, when the stuff was not even released yet.

Life? blink.gif

Yes, DQs are typically mistakes, sometimes unsportsmanlike behavior or poor judgement. But PLANNING to use banned ammo while trying to conceal it. No way. If they were almost out of ammo, I am sure one of the awesome RMs would have loaned or sold him some ammo.

"Hornady Steel Match" does not have steel projectiles, just steel cases. I know because I ran down a shooter at RM3G, and JJ another, when the stuff was not even released yet.

Roger that MarkCO...the cases are steel...the bullets are GOOD TO GO. I think I said dark cases. :cheers: Should have said the bullets pass the magnet test.

Who did that? I would have to agree. Really the only RO's I had issues with we're those on stage 5. Seemed to have a burr up their ass. I understand it's long days, lots of shooters, but get over it. You volunteered to RO, and got to shoot for free because of it. I've worked 4 day events, it makes for long damn days and lots of crap but you have to keep level headed and not be stuck up, the world doesn't revolve around you.

I was one of the RO's on pro 5. Please PM me and talk to me about any issues you had with the way we ran things. I work many matches and am more than happy to listen to feedback. I strive to be the most professional and best RO I can be, so I am more than willing to listen to your issues and see if there is something that will help me be better.

In fact, if anyone has anything they think I could have done better running the stage feel free to let me know.

Tyler

Who did that? I would have to agree. Really the only RO's I had issues with we're those on stage 5. Seemed to have a burr up their ass. I understand it's long days, lots of shooters, but get over it. You volunteered to RO, and got to shoot for free because of it. I've worked 4 day events, it makes for long damn days and lots of crap but you have to keep level headed and not be stuck up, the world doesn't revolve around you.

I was one of the RO's on pro 5. Please PM me and talk to me about any issues you had with the way we ran things. I work many matches and am more than happy to listen to feedback. I strive to be the most professional and best RO I can be, so I am more than willing to listen to your issues and see if there is something that will help me be better.

In fact, if anyone has anything they think I could have done better running the stage feel free to let me know.

Tyler

Some dancing girls on stage 5 with short shorts to help set the steel. <_< no not realy.

Well you could have helped me pull that joke like I asked, = it would have been funny.

I was very happy with the Quality of ROing =Thank you for your Service

JF

All the ROing was superb from my perspective on the pro-side.

Most of them I recognized from multiple events. Experience was not in short supply. It is a crap job, that for some reason, a bunch of guys more or less volunteer to do, and I am grateful. Travel, time off from work, being away from home, and putting up with ornery shooters, is hardly worth a mtach fee, room, and a box lunch in my opinion.

Thanks to all the ROs this weekend.