Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooter's Basic Gear

xicidis

Hey guys.

I have been doing some research, and I want to see what you guys think. I'm a very new shooter, and I am looking for the necessities of a competitive shooter.

A gun. (Obviously)

Enough magazines to finish the round. (2-4 from what I've seen)

A belt with a holster.

Mag pouches for each magazine.

A range bag to carry everything.

A cleaning kit and brushes to keep everything clean.

Hearing protection. (earbuds and muffs both)

A hat is also recommended to protect from the occasional casing to the face.

Is there anything that I am missing? Lots of people have suggested water bottles, granola bars, first aid kits, moist towelettes, and many other things. But, what is it that you need to be able to compete?

I would also like recommendations from anyone that wants to add their two cents. I will be aiming for Production division with a Glock 34. Any suggestions that you think would suit that I would appreciate greatly.

Thanks a lot guys.

Just to name a couple - I don't see eye protection on your list - can go cheep (basic safety glasses) or expensive (Rx Rudy project shades)but you sure need them. If you doubt that read the story about the RO with the AD in this months Front Sight magazine. Secondly you might want to get a small tool kit. I have an allen wrench that folds into a handle that I got at Home Depot and a real good screw driver set of the same type I got at Target. Guns vibrate and belts and pouches and holsters get loose. Need to have those things. As for the cleaning kit, I carry a bore snake and a cleaning rag in my bag but that is it. The heavy cleaning will happen once you get home. Others may talk about spare parts, extra guns etc but this is a start and I am sure many others will add to it.

Good luck, have fun and welcome to some really fun times.

If you do not have a backup gun I would suggest some parts that are already fit to the gun and tested. Extractor, ejector,spare striker and spring and a spare recoil spring at a minimum. It is not fun to have a gun break and end your day. I don't own a Glock so there might be something I am missing.

Edited by Jaxshooter

I thought about eye protection while I was typing the hearing and forgot to add it as well.

That brings up another point. I wear glasses, but cant afford to get Rx glasses just for this right now, as I am just starting. Does anyone have any thoughts on a good pair that can go over my glasses without falling off that isn't too expensive?

I have a checklist I go through. I made it for major matches so I wouldn't forget anything, but now I use it for the local ones too, just to make sure:

Cleats

inner belt

holster belt

Hat

Shooting glasses

Ear plugs

Ear Muffs

wrist band

Gun

magazines

bullets

Mag brush

towels

pro grip

tissues

rewetting drops

video camera

chair

sunblock

water

power bars

bug spray

extra parts kit

extra shirt

silicon rag

I'm a very new shooter, looking for the necessities of a competitive shooter.

Enough magazines to finish the round. (2-4 from what I've seen)

I will be aiming for Production division with a Glock 34.

Xicidis, 2 mags will never be enough. You need three minimum if you're shooting IDPA,

and 4 minimum if you're shooting IPSC (USPSA). For USPSA, you're much better off

with 5-6 in Production.

I haven't heard anything here about reloading equipment? You'll need that too:)

Good luck,

Jack

Xicidis, 2 mags will never be enough. You need three minimum if you're shooting IDPA,

and 4 minimum if you're shooting IPSC (USPSA). For USPSA, you're much better off

with 5-6 in Production.

I haven't heard anything here about reloading equipment? You'll need that too:)

Good luck,

Jack

Ah yes. When I said 2-4, i meant 2-4 aside from the one you load. So I should have said 3-5. However, do you really think a new shooter should start off reloading? I'm just trying to get a list of the stuff I'll need for practice and my first match.

Thanks everyone for the fantastic help. =D

BBBB (bag, belt, bullets, blaster).

Eye and ear protection.

The guy that taught me this used 5 B's. The four you mentioned as well as bigstick (it's how he referred to his magazines).

He joked that everything else could be procured on sight.

Good plan... keep it simple. At local matches, you will have most of the stuff to address local conditions in your car. At bigger matches, you can find most everything to get by if you got the 5B's plus eyes and ears.

Regarding eye protection, if your Rx glasses have lenses that actually covers the eyes it most likely will meet the minimum required eye protection. You may want to toss in an old pair in your bag as a just in case.

Also make sure your range bag is bigger than you need at beginning of the day. You want it big enough that you can get to your ammo and supplies and are not repacking it after shooting each stage.

Edited by Wideload

He joked that everything else could be procured on sight.

I think he's right. With the 4 B's (OK, 5!) and ear/eye protection, you can borrow or buy just about everything else at a match (USPSA shooters are generous folks!).

My Rx glasses are about average size. Not the really short ones I see people have. One range I went to here said that my glasses were fine, where as the other said I needed to wear their bigger ones over mine. So, I should probably have a pair just in case.

I would rather be the one that has whats needed, than to have to ask. I'm always early, and I always come prepared.

Does anyone have any suggestions on brands or specific items in any of the categories? I don't have any experience with any of them. So, knowing before I go and spend the cash would help me narrow the choices down. It would also help to avoid the brands that are poor quality but look nice. Or steer towards the brands that may not seem as good as they actually are.

For some things I have found an overwhelming support for one brand or another. For glocks, the vast majority of people say replace the sights first, and do use a set of TruGlo fiber optics. It's pretty easy to see that if almost everyone says it's good, it's a great place to start. I'm just looking to get a better bang for my buck, because the person behind the counter isn't the one that has to use the gear. They just want to sell it. That's how most retail places are though.

Although your regular glasses will work for the most part, every once in a while the wrap around part keeps junk away from my eye. I have Rx now but before that a pair of yellow safety glasses from Wally World over my regular worked fine. While you can get clear, the yellow really helps out in low light or cloudy situations.

Xicidis, all the needed gear has been discussed, but the sights on your Glock IMO should not be truglos. Those are defensive type sights and not ideal for what we do. I recommend getting a dawson precision fiber optic front sight and an adjustable rear sight. When you start reloading, you will appreciate the adj sight :)

• 2 weeks later...

The warren sevigney or the dawson sights are the way to go. For mags 5 should get you through. As expensive as perscription glasses are, I would spring for a set if you need to shoot with the perscription(I wear them but cant shoot in them and see the sight picture clearly so use regular ones). You only have one pair of eyes so that would be first on my priority list to protect them.

• 1 month later...

On the eyeglasses part, I've always felt that if you're going to be moving around (as in USPSA) you only want to wear one pair of glasses at a time. I also feel that if you don't have dedicated shooting glasses, you should have a back-up pair just incase something happens to the glasses you're shooting with. I mean it would suck not to be able to see your way driving home.

As for the spare parts kit (not to hijack this thread) but for an STI, what specific spares (especially springs) should I pack. I'm waiting on my open build, and this will be my first 1911/2011. At this stage, I probably wouldn't know how to change any of the springs, but I'd like to have them (and whatever else I'd need) incase there was a kind and experienced soul nearby to assist.

Finally, to the reloading issue, I'd suggest checking out some of the reloading videos on YouTube. Not so much for instruction, but to see how safe and simple it can be. Once you become hooked on this sport, you'll only regret not having started reloading sooner. A lot of people here will point you toward a Dillon 650 (buy the best, and pay once....and buy it here from Brian) but you can start with a less expensive reloading press and then later dedicate it to a specific load or caliber after you've stepped up to the Dillon press. You can buy a Lee Pro 1000 with single caliber dies for under $200 bucks. You'll also need a scale, calipers, and reloading components. Seriously, the sooner you start reloading, the more you'll save, the more you'll shoot, and more shooting usually means better skills. I've found that just shooting the gun doesn't help much. What helps is preparing a plan for each practice, and setting realistic goals for each session...instead of the guys at the public range that just shoot until they're out of ammo. Shooting less with a plan will do more than just shooting a lot.

First aid kit, fire extinguisher, blankets, water, the 4 B's, seasonal clothing, E^2 protection( plus extras), tool kit( gun), cleaning kit,backup gun,extra ammo, enough mags to shoot the match so you don't have to reload during the match unless a reshoot is ordered, hat, sun screen, wet wipes, towel/s and a good attitude. Oh depending on length of match some snacks are in order. If it's summer a cooler of ice is nice.

Forgot to add that carrying a stapler, staples, pasting tape, duct tape and a small sledge is beneficial.

Edited by West Texas Granny