Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Superstition Mountain Mystery 3-Gun 2012

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anyone know why Rob Romero only shot 4 stages?

Rumor was a DQ, but that is unconfirmed and the reason sounded a bit odd.

DQ - Unsafe Ammo. After last year, we were pretty hot on this and I guess unfortunately he didn't get the memo :( .

DQ - Unsafe Ammo. After last year, we were pretty hot on this and I guess unfortunately he didn't get the memo :( .

What is unsafe ammo exactly?

Pretty much steel anything.

I saw at least one or more small fires caused by steel ammo off some flint on the ground. <_< seams like one time was at FB3G with the SAW from prone

Anything that can cause a fire. I have started many a fire using tracer seconds for practice. And shooting rocks on an old berm with tinder. You need to keep a fire extinguisher around. I think steel ammo is not allowed at any public or NRA affiliated range in America. For the fire risk and the damage to targets that can occur. Yeah, you can get away with shooting the excellent 62 grain ball 5.56, but only at paper for practice. All those big pits in your ranges gong are from an inconsiderate shooter. At this match, the rule is no ammo that sticks to the magnet. It's on the web page, in the rules, on the table at registration, and a mental telepathy message as soon as you enter the gate. It's kind of like no booze either. Standard range rules. As far as DQ goes, the range has to consistent-it has DQ'ed shooters before for the same reason. It's a range and a match rule. I'm not speaking for Rob-he is far more eloquent than I am, I am sure he will respond sometime when he is not so busy. DQ's suck for the shooter, so sometimes it's just better to let it go. He's busy with 3 Gun Nation.

Congratulations to my good friends Taran Butler in Tac Ops and Jojo Vidanes in Open for their wins. Taran won Overall, too.Taran setting the bar extremely high with 11 Match wins in a row at SMM3G. That is dominance.

I would like to congratulate Dan and Larry for another great SMM3G. And thank all the RO's-they are the best of any match of any kind anywhere. I always feel safely guided by the RIo Salado SC RO's. and most of all-thanks to Polle for being not only stat queen, but dispenser of good advice, calming words, and and endless supply of smiles.

I was in a great Squad that functioned well as a team even though there was a lawyer and a TV star in it, as well as my good friend Richard White, a dedicated shooter and combat veteran I hadn't seen since he came home on leave to shoot the Desert Classic a few years ago. He was so there for me-tissues when I started crying, a hug when an RO said my rifle was pretty, and just straight shootin' conversation amblin' around like John Wayne. And putting me in time out for stomping my foot whenTaran threw all my jelly beans on the ground, Good squad.

I didn't like Stage 8. That's the one with the computer sequenced 8 targets in two arrays, with and up and down formula until you register 3 hits on the target when it lays down forever, with a few no shoots scattered in there like hostages. 4 targets at 100 and 4 at 200 yds. I didn't shoot it well-didnt time out, but didn't do great either. I couldn't get comfortable in the shooting positions offered, because of various metal implants in my body, my new Surefire 60 round mag was a horrible rest on the hood of a car-bounced up and down like a pogo stick-, my barrel got so hot all I could see were heat waves in front of my TR24, I shot a hostage, got my rifle caught in some weird Arizona bush running across the road, lost my zero, and I sucked. i would rather see these targets in a Hogan's alley type run with one exposure for each target. Or I would like a doorway or post to use as a rest for shooting standing up. However, Richard and his RO crew were excellent, organized, calm, and very positive. Classy guys.

I also had to put my hand on 4 or 5 rifles when I got muzzled - thats the third year in a row for that on this stage. It's a function of the slope of the road, having rifle racks on both sides of road, and the shade tent in the middle. Some people don't care, some people aren't aware, but I don't like getting lasered anytime, anywhere. They are cleared weapons, but you know.... Having said all that I would like to congratulate Katie Harris, who absolutely smoked the stage. She had the fastest time in our squad and was just cool calm and collected.

Now for some levity -Mike V, who couldn't shoot because of a broken ankle, narrated a couple of videos shot by a couple of friends from Vacaville. My first match in a year-

and

I have one recommendation. Have a universal rule to state if we are allowed to chamber a round in our shotgun or not during preload. I could care either way but make it consistent.

Congratulations to my good friends Taran Butler in Tac Ops and Jojo Vidanes in Open for their wins. Taran won Overall, too.

Question: The results on the Rio website show JoJo at the top of the overall results. Is that incorrect?

Just wondering,

Chuck

Just curious, but in Open, did jojo shoot his benelli? If so, did he use an xrail? I know Jerry and tony shot tube guns, but was wondering if jojo did as well.

Pretty sure Burkett (2nd in Open) shot a tube gun.

Jojo shot his Benelli no Xrail

Jerry M shot Mossberg no Xrail (although he said he wished he brought his but didn't have room for it in bags)

Matt shot a Remington VersaMax no Xrail

Tony Holmes ran a Benelli, with 26rnd Xrail

Edited by DocMedic

Here's my match video.

Started out great, but ended my match 10 shots to soon.

That is one sexy shotgun.

ya player nice shotgun looks like it ran perfect for him.

mrplayer that .02 of one overall point still feels pretty good. can't wait for next year for a rematch

on stage 8 i think the army targets worked fine but for next year... can we forget the programing, space them out individually and make it so you have to transition/find the next target and maybe use all 12 and maybe more** without no-shoots(did anyone hit a no-shoot?)

working that match was also pretty rough stage one never took a lunch break except for sunday we got about 10 minutes durning the walk thru. hopefully polle will not be so nice and let so many people in. (but i cant complain because polle is just too nice)

next year on small bore range (stage 9) can we use the entire bay. i know it will be harder to score with targets and shooting postions spread out but i think it could be done.

And thanks Kalani Laker for letting me handle you rifle, i just ordered a 3gL. you sold me on it.

great match. but i am still recovering from the 12-14 hour days spent of my spring break.

Here's my match video.

Started out great, but ended my match 10 shots to soon.

Nils-great video. Great shooting. Man up for posting video even though you DQ'ed. Excellent video.

8 shots or less and nils would have had a chance at dethroning Taran. what a bummer.

sorry nils, there is always next year.. keep it up buddy.

That suck's. The giant magazine on Nils rifle made it fall out of the bucket. He was burning down that stage too. DQ's are the worst.

No offense, but the rifle fell out because it wasnt properly grounded, not because of the giant mag ;)

Most people I saw used giant mags on the stage and had no issues grounding their rifles. Personally I like to spend the 0.1s to drop the mag before grounding to make sure I dont end up in a similar situation, but then again I'm not good enough for that 0.1s to really matter much to me...

Edited by gose

Gose is right. We had a bunch of people on our squad with the long mags and no DQs. BTW, several of us thought that was the funnest stage of the match. I sure had a smile on my face afterwards.