Have you tested your blood lead level?

Foxbat

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anyone know what is in D lead soap that removes the lead? What does it have that regular soap doesn't?

I tried to dig around to find something specific but it doesn't really say.

https://www.esca-tech.com/History.php

Based on the MSDS and other information I read, I believe it is a really good soap for cleaning your skin but I imagine there are other products out there that are just as effective for cleaning your skin and removing heavy metals. I tend to use GoJo products at home.

Most people only talk about FMJ, TMJ, JHP, plated etc. What about coated bullets? Coated bullets (e.g Bayou) should have low risk of lead exposure like the plated ones (e.g. Xtreme/Berry's), correct?

I switched to Bayou bullets after shooting moly coated when my lead got to 25. In only 4 months (~1,500 rounds a month at outdoor USPSA matches) it dropped to 8 using Bayous. I will get retested shortly but expect it should go below 5. The only airborne source of lead then is the spent primer exhaust.

I work at an indoor range (as well as shooting weekly outdoor matches and loading my own ammo). My test at the end of last month was a 27. I plan to re-test at the end of next month to see if it is going up. If so I may need to find a new job...

I work at an indoor range (as well as shooting weekly outdoor matches and loading my own ammo). My test at the end of last month was a 27. I plan to re-test at the end of next month to see if it is going up. If so I may need to find a new job...

That is getting into a somewhat uncomfortable range, but before you switch the job, you might be able to change certain things you do, like using the D-Lead stuff regularly, watching your hands (not touching your mouth, eyes, or food), and changing your work cloth.

• 2 weeks later...

Most of what you get is by breathing it in. The only thing you can do at this point is to wear good quality filter masks like 3M and latex gloves, in addition to hand washing. One month is too soon to retest, go 3 months minimum.

The only person that I know that had symptoms at over 20 was at 78 blood lead. Migrane headaches and throwing up from both ends. He was hospitalized for 4 days for chealation treatment. Not to be done at home, chealation rips out all the metal, escpecially potasium.

• 3 weeks later...

I went from 19 to 12 then last reading less then a year ago 8. I changed to JHP and got rid of moly bullets. I havent tried coated bullets yet but 9x45 had his levels drop so we know they are safe at least for lead. What ever else those things emit with the nasty smell is still a mystery.

D-Lead wipes between each stage after touching my mags or re setting steal plates. Just be very aware of what you touch and use those wipes. For indoor shooting you are SOL and need a mask. I go indoor couple times a year at most and use a mask for 1 hour that I am there. It comes out grey on the outside and white on the inside in just an hour.

• 1 month later...

most lead exposure comes from indoor ranges with poor ventilation. it mostly comes from the lead styphnate primers, not the bullets.

i included lead testing with my last regular medical exam when they did a blood draw. cost almost nothing and came back 0.0. and i shoot a lot indoors. the range has really good ventilation.

Edited by bani

Other than total metal jacketed bullets, lead comes from 3 sources, the outside diameter of the bullet as it shears thru the rifling (for cast lead and moly lead), the base of the bullet as it vaporizes(includes partial metal jacket), and lead stypnate from the primer. The primer accounts for about 20% of the lead mass. Most of the guys that I know shoot competition matches (outdoors) on a weekly, 2x weekly, are at 4-12, some in the 20's. Lead is exposure time based, the more you shoot, the more lead you breath in. If you like to RO for your squad, then you get all the shooters lead also. As the bullet velocity gets over 1,000 fps, the amount greatly increases. So leading from a .45acp going 750fps is far less than a 9mm going 1,100fps.

The Lead Cloud

image36054.jpg

Other than total metal jacketed bullets, lead comes from 3 sources, the outside diameter of the bullet as it shears thru the rifling (for cast lead and moly lead), the base of the bullet as it vaporizes(includes partial metal jacket), and lead stypnate from the primer. The primer accounts for about 20% of the lead mass. Most of the guys that I know shoot competition matches (outdoors) on a weekly, 2x weekly, are at 4-12, some in the 20's. Lead is exposure time based, the more you shoot, the more lead you breath in. If you like to RO for your squad, then you get all the shooters lead also. As the bullet velocity gets over 1,000 fps, the amount greatly increases. So leading from a .45acp going 750fps is far less than a 9mm going 1,100fps.

The Lead Cloud

image36054.jpg

Yeah that's almost entirely smoke from the combustion of gunpowder.

And inside that smoke is lead powder. Here is a photo of the barrel inside diameter after cleaning with Hoppes and a brash bore brush. What's left is lead. And after the lead cocktail, the residual.

image36199.jpg

image36201.jpg

image36202.jpg

FMJ and bare lead bullets DO put lead into the hot gasses that leave the muzzle.

I have seen no evidence that the wipes and soaps that claim to remove lead do any better than normal soap and water or wipes.

I have also switched to corn cob for tumbling which creates less dust than walnut.

I did shoot some Bayou and Extreme through a settling box with some fmj as a control with lead free primers and both came back zero, but the fmj did not.

My tumbling recipe is first in walnut loaded with mineral oil, cleans with no dust, then into the corn loaded with nufinish car wax, no dust and shiny to beat heck.

The leading problem that you are having with your barrel is not deposited from smoke.

Yes, it is. Whats on the barrel is residual, the rest of it goes out in the gun exhaust. That was a 125 moly lead 9mm on top of 4.0 grains of TiteGroup, going about 1,150 fps. Filthy, yes, but still alot of lead. It's deposited on the barrel because the bullet shears out lead at higher velocities and continues to build up with the number of rounds fired.

The leading problem that you are having with your barrel is not deposited from smoke.

Yes, it is. Whats on the barrel is residual, the rest of it goes out in the gun exhaust. That was a 125 moly lead 9mm on top of 4.0 grains of TiteGroup, going about 1,150 fps. Filthy, yes, but still alot of lead. It's deposited on the barrel because the bullet shears out lead at higher velocities and continues to build up with the number of rounds fired.

What he is trying to say is that your leading problem is being caused by bullet fit to the barrel, not being left there by the smoke. It appears you are getting gas blow by around the bullet which is causing the lead to strip and be left in the barrel. You need to slug your bore and load the proper sized cast bullet to stop the leading, usually .001 to .002 larger than the bore size. This is kind of off topic for the post, but less lead being vaporized in the barrel is less lead that is available to be inhaled from the atmosphere.

Dump the Moly bullets and try some Hi-Tech coated bullets. You'll be amazed, as the barrel will remain clean and shiny.

Hopefully, you haven't ruined your barrel with the "cocktails", as if they are Acedic Acid based, it will etch your barrel and make the problem worse as the barrel surface becomes more and more abrasive and will collect more and more lead from the increased friction.

You couldn't run fast enough to give me Moly bullets...

Edited by TDA

I did not get a blood test but had a "provoked" urine test. This was done by taking DMSA, a chelation drug that pulls lead from tissue and then is removed thru the kidneys then urine. The CDC max level is 10 micro grams / deciliter. My level came in at 280. The provoked urine test has some controversy since it will show higher levels than the unprovoked 24 hour urine test or blood test.

I think the very high level that my test and the symptoms I am experiencing indicate I have a problem regardless of the test used.

I am now on DMSA chelation for the next three months then I will be retested. I will also get a blood test to determine unprovoked levels.

I do not understand the high levels since I only reload and shoot jacketed bullets. I shoot once a week at a indoor range that has good ventilation. And once a month at a outdoor range. The only thing I can think of is my 33 year career at a manufacturing facility where there was some lead and leaded steel machined. But I quit that job over six years ago.