Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Have you tested your blood lead level?

Foxbat

I had a discussion with my sons Pediatrician about my reloading and possible exposure to lead. He asked if I let him suck and chew on raw lead bullets. When I answered in the negative he said not to worry about it then.

Hmmm... this thread has me all freaked out now. We are expecting our first child in February. While I'm not sloppy with lead, I have done things like cleaning pistols or filling ammo boxes in the house. I'm wondering if I should lay off the shooting / reloading for a while?

Clean up well after you work on your stuff. I think the biggest concern I'd have with a newborn is making sure the floors/rugs are clean. KIds virtually live on the floors and put everything in their mouths. As long as you remove your shoes from the range when going into the house and don't do all your stuff on the floors I'm guessing you're good.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I told my doc I wanted to be tested since I reload cast bullets and also moved to indoor shooting for the winter. It came back at 21, "slightly elevated." I'm going to try better housekeeping in my reloading area, wearing Nitril gloves, and washing my hands before leaving the range.

very interesting read.

I would love to see a poll of how many shooters with "elevated" numbers use exposed lead bullets, and what type of primers they use.

Going to change some stuff myself now, already using gloves for loading and handling tumblers, but I plan to carry a box of cheap gloves for picking up brass at the range.

I'm not an expert on this... but I have some first hand experience/exposure. I'd say the BULK of lead in your blood is from indoor shooting. Unless you are sucking your fingers while reloading or shooting it's not where it's coming from.

My lead went from 56 to the teens and the most significant change was limiting indoor shooting significantly. Sure- I wash my hands a little more and do a few other smart things.. but I'd bet my life most of the exposure people get isn't from their hands.

My 2 cents.

EDIT: the great thing about this thread is that it's increasing peoples' awareness.... that is great.

Edited by lugnut

• 2 weeks later...

Going to change some stuff myself now, already using gloves for loading and handling tumblers,

I would venture to say the tumbler, if done indoors, is a major source of contamination. The dust will carry the lead compound residue, and that dust covers the whole area around the tumbler.

For this reason I build an exhaust box around the tumbler. I made a transparent box out of acrylic, with a 6" exhaust duct with fan. Now any time I process the media or work the tumbler, I turn on the suction.

post-21305-0-66244900-1324766869_thumb.j

Edited by Foxbat

I have been seriously shooting and reloading for the last 4 years. I use only FMJ bullets. I don't every wear gloves when reloading or shooting. I use a lot of range pickup brass and sort it all by shaker bowels on 5 gal buckets. I reload about 10k rounds a year. I've been having some weird inflammation problems in my hands and ankles so when I was referred to a rheumatologist, for a more thorough workup after my orthopedist ran out of ideas, I brought up the lead issue and was tested... Turned out that wasn't the problem I was only at 4. Clearly using FMJ and shooting in well ventilated areas keeps it from becoming an issue.

• 3 weeks later...

I have lead levels checked at least once a year. I have always checked out OK.

I reload and shhot quite a bit as most here do. However, I avoid indoor ranges at all costs. I also wash my hands regularly and thoroughly when I finish a reloading session.

I had a big bottle of lotion sold at one time in the medical field that was supposed to put a barrier on your hands against chemical absorbsion. Ran out a while back. Wish I could find it again.

I also wear vinyl gloves when cleaning guns and when I handle tumbling media.

I have lead levels checked at least once a year. I have always checked out OK.

I reload and shhot quite a bit as most here do. However, I avoid indoor ranges at all costs. I also wash my hands regularly and thoroughly when I finish a reloading session.

I had a big bottle of lotion sold at one time in the medical field that was supposed to put a barrier on your hands against chemical absorbsion. Ran out a while back. Wish I could find it again.

I also wear vinyl gloves when cleaning guns and when I handle tumbling media.

That's actually in interesting point. How much lead is actually absorbed through your skin vs inhaled vs ingested? I have to figure that swallowing lead is probably the biggest culprit followed by breathing it in, or vice versa. I can't imagine *that* much lead gets into your body through your skin, but I'm not a doctor and am just talking out my ass. ;)

Edited by TacticalReload

Practically speaking, lead is not absorbed through skin (except for some organic lead compounds). The rate of absorption through lungs and digestive tract is many thousand times higher. The danger of lead on your hands, therefore, is not from direct absorption, but from its migration to food and places like eyes, lips, etc.

Edited by Foxbat

just a thought. outside of the shooting sports we have people handling lead every day. guys handle lead weights daily ballancing tires. or roofers dealing with lead vents. or fisherman (pro's) dealing with lead weights. or plumbers leading in cast iron pipe. the list goes on and most do not wear gloves. my opinion is that our harmfull exposure is from airborn lead being shot from the gun both the bullet and the primer. so proper hand washing and shooting in a well ventilated area should be good enough. just my 2cents but im no expert.

I've been dealing with elevated lead levels for the last 10 months. The first time I was checked it was 66. My doctor said they would only start chelation at level 70.

The main cause for the high level was running a weekly indoor match in a poorly ventilated range. I was not reloading at the time. My numbers dropped to 37 after 5 weeks then 27 8 weeks after that. I'm due to be retested.

Some of the precautions I now take included wearing gloves when reloading and cleaning my guns. Wearing gloves, glasses and a respirator when messing with my tumbler(outside)and using D-Lead wipes and soap often. Staying out of poorly ventilated ranges is biggie.

Having 2 small kids I was concerned about their levels as kids are extremely susceptible to lead poisoning. They both tested alright, but I'm mindful about changing clothes and washing up really well after shooting.

I did not receive a call from anyone from CDC or OSHA, etc.

I've been dealing with elevated lead levels for the last 10 months. The first time I was checked it was 66. My doctor said they would only start chelation at level 70.

The main cause for the high level was running a weekly indoor match in a poorly ventilated range. I was not reloading at the time. My numbers dropped to 37 after 5 weeks then 27 8 weeks after that. I'm due to be retested.

Some of the precautions I now take included wearing gloves when reloading and cleaning my guns. Wearing gloves, glasses and a respirator when messing with my tumbler(outside)and using D-Lead wipes and soap often. Staying out of poorly ventilated ranges is biggie.

Having 2 small kids I was concerned about their levels as kids are extremely susceptible to lead poisoning. They both tested alright, but I'm mindful about changing clothes and washing up really well after shooting.

I did not receive a call from anyone from CDC or OSHA, etc.

Yeah that's pretty high. Did you get any symptoms at that level?

My symptoms were my knees felt like they aged several decades over the span of a couple of weeks, headaches and general irritability.

Those went away as my levels came down.

My levels were high as well, 56 for my first test. If I recall it was early winter after doing a lot of indoor shooting. However, I had been getting really bad headaches for a long time on and off. I'm talking about over a couple years. Once I realized the source of my headaches, I cut indoor shooting out and my level went down the high teens where they remain today. I shoot indoors these days very little.

I didn't have any other symptoms.... I only wish I knew earlier as those headaches were nasty.

• 3 weeks later...

I should get tested. I shoot primarily indoors (snow is on the ground 5 months a year here).

Most of us wear respirators to shoot. I pick up brass wearing gloves. Respirator and gloves when handling the tumbler.

Ranges don't allow unjacketed (lead) bullets here. I only shoot bullets with encapsulated bases.

• 1 month later...

In the 1990s I shot a LOT of indoor range time .. 1 match a week and at least 3 practice sessions (working on that GM card ; ) Figure about 300-400 rounds indoors a week. Even with a "paper mask" it didn't filter nearly enough.

I ended up in the hospital with 90 mcg/dL. That pretty much ended the shooting career for a long while. By the time my numbers were more normal I pretty much lost interest (only recently regained as my kids are shooting). It took the better part of 5 years to bring my levels down and a lot of expensive medicine. All that said; 15 years later, I'm dealing with a marrow disorder and the resulting Pancytopenia which some doctors believe might have been related to the once-high lead levels. (though other doctors think it could genetics or just bad luck)

In any event my recommendation to anyone is to have this tested on a regular bases .. you can do it at the annual physical or just order the lab test yourself off the internet and drop by a local lab. If it starts to creep up change your process or take a break. Its not worth the risk to your health.

In the 1990s I shot a LOT of indoor range time .. 1 match a week and at least 3 practice sessions (working on that GM card ; ) Figure about 300-400 rounds indoors a week. Even with a "paper mask" it didn't filter nearly enough.

I ended up in the hospital with 90 mcg/dL. That pretty much ended the shooting career for a long while. By the time my numbers were more normal I pretty much lost interest (only recently regained as my kids are shooting). It took the better part of 5 years to bring my levels down and a lot of expensive medicine. All that said; 15 years later, I'm dealing with a marrow disorder and the resulting Pancytopenia which some doctors believe might have been related to the once-high lead levels. (though other doctors think it could genetics or just bad luck)

In any event my recommendation to anyone is to have this tested on a regular bases .. you can do it at the annual physical or just order the lab test yourself off the internet and drop by a local lab. If it starts to creep up change your process or take a break. Its not worth the risk to your health.

Doug- did you show any signs of symptoms during that time? Do you suspect the levels were close to 90 for a long time? i.e. most of the 90s? I wish the best to you.

I suspect wet tumbling will help with the dust. I was able to get a web barrel tumbler and stainless media to use. It sounds like it will take me a few more hours to case prep as I have to let the brass dry, but no dust.

I was able to bring my levels from 37 to 10 by taking an all natural heavy metal cleanse. I also stopped shooting indoors.

I still load and shoot lead. I don't cast. I take the cleanse once a year now just to keep the levels in check. It is all vitamins, herbs, and amino acids but you need to have iron levels checked yearly also.

Here is what I take LINK It has worked for me and others I have recommended it to. As an aside, it is also Gluten free if you are sensitive to that (I got that too :angry2: )

It is strongly recommended for anyone coming in contact with lead. My latest number is 15, which sent my doc into a frenzy.

Even though that number still falls within "Normal" range, I will be looking into improving some of my practices.

Lead, without medical intervention, cannot clear your system. I am assuming your doctor told you that?

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5608a1.htm

And please note the emphasis on children rather than adult measures of the blood levels of Lead. Also note, I am not saying don't be concerned, I am simply saying that current the CDC doesn't even define 10 as a medical emergency. Certainly, however, if you are at risk of exposure, you should be evaluated and discuss it with your MD.

Edited by hmp32

Lead, without medical intervention, cannot clear your system.

Are you saying simply reducing (or even eliminating) exposure will not lead to gradually reducing blood lead level? I was hoping that would help, and I would not have to resort to some sort of chelation.

Lead, without medical intervention, cannot clear your system.

Are you saying simply reducing (or even eliminating) exposure will not lead to gradually reducing blood lead level? I was hoping that would help, and I would not have to resort to some sort of chelation.

I don't think that is correct. BLLs can certainly drop. I do think some lead will remain in your bones and some organs... but your body can rid the lead to some extent without doubt.... certainly from your blood!!

Doug- did you show any signs of symptoms during that time? Do you suspect the levels were close to 90 for a long time? i.e. most of the 90s? I wish the best to you.

No I really didn't .. I was a grade-a dumbass when it came to this though. I never got checked because I never felt a change and was almost always wearing a mask at the range. (young and stupid) I finally went to the doctor for a reoccurring headache .. We didn't do a blood test at first. He started me on one medicine, then another.. Finally when none worked he decided to order a full panel .. I went to the emergency room that day as the bloodwork freaked him out.

In a weird DeJaVu .. 15 years later I was back in the hospital from Thanksgiving to Christmas this past year with the Pancytopenia. I had been going to the lab 2x a year (last test in july which was fine) ever since the lead issue. July my numbers were normal for me.. This November my headaches returned and I went in early .. to find out all 3 of my lines are dramatically reduced (7k platelets as an example, where normal are 100-140k) After extensive, expensive and somewhat painful tests they have no clue whats going on .. One school of thought is that I've got some form of myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS) commonly called pre-lukemia but it doesn't fit any of the MDS characteristics so as of now its considered "unclassified MDS" The theory shared by my hematologist is that its likely this was related to the lead level issues before. Though its unlikely we can ever really draw a direct path correlation .. I feel like it must have been a contributor .. hence the warning post.

Whats really ironic about all of this, as a few weeks before my headache I picked up my open gun for the first time in ~15 years and went to the tac-range with my oldest daughter .. who is now (along with my wife) getting a open gun of her own for their birthday as they both caught the bug big time.