Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Have you tested your blood lead level?

Foxbat

Sure try Hi Tek and then smell the chemicals coming off then ask yourself what it is. Or like me, ask the owner and creator of the product and watch what an A-Hole he is to your request for info. I gave up and my health is more important then saving a few bucks on crap bullets. I shoot JHP so that the base of the bullet is not exposed lead because an FMJ has exposed base and once exposed to the powder ignition will still cause the lead cloud.

Zoomy:

how are you still alive? Holy crap man the highest we heard of was 70 and that dude was smelting lead. You must have lots of lead stored in you bones. The body doesnt know what to do with it so it stores in the bone and is released over time. Its said that taking calcium prevents this from happening. If the bone is happy with enough calcium it wont try to absorb anything from the blood stream.

What symptoms are you having from such high lead levels?

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sure try Hi Tek and then smell the chemicals coming off then ask yourself what it is. Or like me, ask the owner and creator of the product and watch what an A-Hole he is to your request for info. I gave up and my health is more important then saving a few bucks on crap bullets. I shoot JHP so that the base of the bullet is not exposed lead because an FMJ has exposed base and once exposed to the powder ignition will still cause the lead cloud.

Zoomy:

how are you still alive? Holy crap man the highest we heard of was 70 and that dude was smelting lead. You must have lots of lead stored in you bones. The body doesnt know what to do with it so it stores in the bone and is released over time. Its said that taking calcium prevents this from happening. If the bone is happy with enough calcium it wont try to absorb anything from the blood stream.

What symptoms are you having from such high lead levels?

I have been having unexplained headaches for years but they have become more constant the last three months. Also have constant unexplained joint pain, tingling and numbness in the extremities, inability to concentrate and digestion problems. I still am not sure why my levels are so high. My brother in law says his sister is finally feeding me the proper dose of lead to have an effect. :)

The leading problem that you are having with your barrel is not deposited from smoke.

Yes, it is. Whats on the barrel is residual, the rest of it goes out in the gun exhaust. That was a 125 moly lead 9mm on top of 4.0 grains of TiteGroup, going about 1,150 fps. Filthy, yes, but still alot of lead. It's deposited on the barrel because the bullet shears out lead at higher velocities and continues to build up with the number of rounds fired.

What he is trying to say is that your leading problem is being caused by bullet fit to the barrel, not being left there by the smoke. It appears you are getting gas blow by around the bullet which is causing the lead to strip and be left in the barrel. You need to slug your bore and load the proper sized cast bullet to stop the leading, usually .001 to .002 larger than the bore size. This is kind of off topic for the post, but less lead being vaporized in the barrel is less lead that is available to be inhaled from the atmosphere.

Yes, these moly bullets were ordered stock, and not slug sized to my BarSto barrels. I had just slugged them and was getting ready to order more when the 100 count of Bayous arrived and I switched and never went back. Agreed, the correct diameter bullets would lead less.

Dump the Moly bullets and try some Hi-Tech coated bullets. You'll be amazed, as the barrel will remain clean and shiny.

Hopefully, you haven't ruined your barrel with the "cocktails", as if they are Acedic Acid based, it will etch your barrel and make the problem worse as the barrel surface becomes more and more abrasive and will collect more and more lead from the increased friction.

You couldn't run fast enough to give me Moly bullets...

The lead cocktail is just household hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar. Does absolutely nothing to stainless, it can be tricky on non stainless. Thisi s a picture of a moly bullet that I cut a chunk out of and it took about 2 weeks to completely dissolve the lead. My finger prints are still intact.

image36607.jpg

I did not get a blood test but had a "provoked" urine test. This was done by taking DMSA, a chelation drug that pulls lead from tissue and then is removed thru the kidneys then urine. The CDC max level is 10 micro grams / deciliter. My level came in at 280. The provoked urine test has some controversy since it will show higher levels than the unprovoked 24 hour urine test or blood test.

I think the very high level that my test and the symptoms I am experiencing indicate I have a problem regardless of the test used.

I am now on DMSA chelation for the next three months then I will be retested. I will also get a blood test to determine unprovoked levels.

I do not understand the high levels since I only reload and shoot jacketed bullets. I shoot once a week at a indoor range that has good ventilation. And once a month at a outdoor range. The only thing I can think of is my 33 year career at a manufacturing facility where there was some lead and leaded steel machined. But I quit that job over six years ago.

You wouldn't be alive with a blood test lead level of 280 ug/Dl, that would have been done by an autopsy. You would be near death between 80-100, and throwing up constantly, chronic diarrhea, violent headaches, loss of vision, a blue and black line around your lips, tingling in your fingers and toes, slurred speech, i.e., basically Fd-up real good. If you were at the range, your squad would be deciding on who gets what of your gear when you croak.

Suggest that you get a blood test to check for lead, and read this article about urine toxic metal testing

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Tests/urine_toxic.html

Edited by 9x45

9x45 had arsenic in his blood so we confirmed his wife was trying to off him as well. Poor zoomy's wife is slow killing him, lol.

I knew there was a problem when I started peeing #8 shot.

Fmj has exposed lead base, as do primers. I will not let my kids shoot indoors and I rarely do myself. Not worth the risk.

Yes, you have to use fully metal jacketed, cover the ass end. Or the HiTeck coated, as is my experience, for price point. No lead, even though I think Montana Gold fully metal jacketed is the best, but $40 per thousand.

9x45 had arsenic in his blood so we confirmed his wife was trying to off him as well. Poor zoomy's wife is slow killing him, lol.

Yup, doctor ordered a full heavy metal panel blood test, kinda of expensive to boot ($3,200 but the insurance paid all but $200). Mercury at 6 mcg/L, acceptable at 10, and Arsenic at 3, acceptable at 23 mcg/L. At my age the Mercury came from amalgam dental fillings and from eating tons of salmon over the last 50 years, and the Arsenic comes from ground water, although I suspect my wife in making the coffee. The $5,000,000 life insurance policy has something to do with that. So I'm 64 now, and not to worried. If I croak, then brian45acp will have to deal with it, assuming he can open all the safes..........

I did not get a blood test but had a "provoked" urine test. This was done by taking DMSA, a chelation drug that pulls lead from

You wouldn't be alive with a blood test lead level of 280 ug/Dl, that would have been done by an autopsy. You would be near death between 80-100, and throwing up constantly, chronic diarrhea, violent headaches, loss of vision, a blue and black line around your lips, tingling in your fingers and toes, slurred speech, i.e., basically Fd-up real good. If you were at the range, your squad would be deciding on who gets what of your gear when you croak.

Suggest that you get a blood test to check for lead, and read this article about urine toxic metal testinghttp://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Tests/urine_toxic.html

I did not get a blood test but had a "provoked" urine test. This was done by taking DMSA, a chelation drug that pulls lead from tissue and then is removed thru the kidneys then urine. The CDC max level is 10 micro grams / deciliter. My level came in at 280. The provoked urine test has some controversy since it will show higher levels than the unprovoked 24 hour urine test or blood test.

I think the very high level that my test and the symptoms I am experiencing indicate I have a problem regardless of the test used.

I am now on DMSA chelation for the next three months then I will be retested. I will also get a blood test to determine unprovoked levels.

I do not understand the high levels since I only reload and shoot jacketed bullets. I shoot once a week at a indoor range that has good ventilation. And once a month at a outdoor range. The only thing I can think of is my 33 year career at a manufacturing facility where there was some lead and leaded steel machined. But I quit that job over six years ago.

Suggest that you get a blood test to check for lead, and read this article about urine toxic metal testinghttp://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Tests/urine_toxic.html

I did read the article a week ago and I agree that the provoked urine test does show abnormally high levels. But considering my advanced symptoms I would say that I still have a problem. From what I have been reading most adults show symptoms at 70 and everyone at 100. And it mentioned that indoor shooting range instructors have had levels as high as 330. I will be getting a blood level test after my chelation therapy.

The numbers you are quoting are not blood lead. I'm surprised that your doctor didn't order a blood test first.

lead in blood Pb-B versus lead in urine Pb-U

Urine can be used to replace blood for the assessment of the occupational exposure to lead. However, caution is advised in the case of environmental exposure, since urinary lead should be used just as an estimation of the metal content in blood.

Edited by 9x45

• 2 weeks later...

And Mercury from vacations also, I had like 500 of them in the 50's and 60's as my dad was in the service and we moved every couple years, country to country, line up and get sticked! There was no such thing as personal belief or religous exemption back then. I think these people are just a bunch of wusses and scared of the little tiny needles.... Mercury hasn't been used in vacations for decades anyway.

My theory is that Mercury helps with arthritis because it is always a liquid and lubes up the joints! Plus it helps your neurons remember better because it's got great conductivity.

Edited by 9x45

And Mercury from vacations also, I had like 500 of them in the 50's and 60's as my dad was in the service and we moved every couple years, country to country, line up and get sticked! There was no such thing as personal belief or religous exemption back then. I think these people are just a bunch of wusses and scared of the little tiny needles.... Mercury hasn't been used in vacations for decades anyway.

My theory is that Mercury helps with arthritis because it is always a liquid and lubes up the joints! Plus it helps your neurons remember better because it's got great conductivity.

Had me confused, I thought you took a lot of vacations...

:goof:

Vaccinations, yes, some vaccinations use mercury as a preservative. Single dose units don't have a preservative typically so they don't contain mercury, but multi-dose vaccines benefit from a preservative to prevent microbial contamination. Multi-dose vials are more common where vaccinations are being administered to multiple recipients at one time, more common in third world countries for instance compared to the US where most vaccines are administered one at a time during an office visit.

You are talking about thimerisol. The preservatives in vaccines have changed a lot in the past 20 years. Look them up. I think you have out of date information

Actually, it is thimerosal (not thimerisol) and here is the FDA's take on it (applicable for the US, not necessarily true everywhere in the World):

http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/SafetyAvailability/VaccineSafety/UCM096228

Did you read everything I posted? I wasn't strictly speaking about the United States only in my response. Also, I don't take everything the FDA states as gospel either. Today, most US based vaccines are single dose and contain little to no mercury (as I stated above with single dose vials). The same can't be said for multi-dose vials in other countries and many vaccines in the US used to contain mercury.

• 2 months later...

Yup, just had it checked 1.5

Do you reload? That number is super-low, congratulations!

I just checked mine again... it is 11.5, which is higher, than I would like... better not show it to me wife.

• 2 weeks later...

I had quite a few blood tests lately. iv'e been casting and reloading for the past 5 years. and my levels are normal. keep clean wash your hands and use common sense. tumble outside always.

and so, what is your blood lead level???

My lead level was 16 in Aug of 2014.

So I upped my awareness and hygiene. Started using the de-lead soap. Picked up a mask to use when dealing with dust from my tumblers, and then switched to wet tumbling.

My lead level was down to 2 in Aug of 2015.

Other than good hygienic washing of hands, ect, what could be hazardous about Lead. I don't ingest Lead, don't dry tumble my Brass, and don't get the temp of my casting Lead over 6-700 degrees Fahrenheit . Lead only vaporizes when it reaches around 1700 Fahrenheit.