Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safe to de-prime live primers?

Brent D

I have about 50 rounds of 9mm that didn't seat in my caliber check. I was able to figure out the problem and have pulled the bullets on all the rounds and I want to reload the cases. Is there any danger (I know there is potential danger in all reloading), in de-priming with resizing die a live primer. I just want to be safety conscious before doing anything out of the norm. Thanks.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not recommending this but i do it on my 650 as needed with no primers or powder in the machine - one at a time and with safety glasses of course.

Although i dont recommend depriming live primers, you might want to put on some ear protection also, primers in confined spaced are still pretty loud. :unsure:

I have about 50 rounds of 9mm that didn't seat in my caliber check.

Slight thread drift; Did you try removing the gun barrel and dropping them into the barrel? Some chamber checks have tighter tolerances than the chamber...

Thanks so much for the advice. I like the idea of removing the de-capping pin on the sizing die and resizing. Again thanks for all the response.

Although i dont recommend depriming live primers, you might want to put on some ear protection also, primers in confined spaced are still pretty loud. :unsure:

Good point! The only time I done this is when I have primed brass headed to the recycle bin - usually because a finished bullet does not pass my final inspection due to case damage or somthing I missed at an earlier stage. My brass gets a look see when I clean & sort but I case check and inspect every finished bullet.

I hate to admit it but I have de-primed hundreds of cases over the years and never had a problem. I'm not saying to do it but just telling you my experience. Primers are tougher than most think. Sometimes, I'll get some military brass mixed in and primer gets crushed since it doesn't fit. When I say crushed, I mean it is almost flattened before I can get the whole case out of the shellplate. Never had anything go boom on me. Always wear eye protection when you reload!

The "remove the decap pin" is a much better idea but just wanted to relay my experience over the years...

If you must, PLEASE- partially fill the spent primer cup with water. This way, when you do pop a primer off, it won't set the live primers off in the cup. That is where the damage to operators occurs.

Note the 'when you do pop a primer off'

Like DQs in USPSA, those who have been, and those who will be. There are the people who have had squibs, double charges, KBs, and then there are those who will.

I hate to admit it but I have de-primed hundreds of cases over the years and never had a problem.

I haven't done hundreds of times, but I have never had a problem. I remove the spent primer cup and catch the primer in my hand when it drops. If it is in good shape, which they normally are, I load it into another piece of brass. Maybe I should start wearing safety glasses, too.

i also never had any problem in the past couple of years, when depriming live primers.

I was taught by a very experienced commercial reloader who taught my reloading class to NEVER deprime a case, but, when you do, do so slowly and carefully

Just had a primer torch off last nite, 40 cal Winchester commercial brass case...got my attention :surprise:

Was pressing the primer in just like I always do while loading on my 650...bang! No damage, was back to loading in less than 5 minutes.

Those of us who have, those of us who will...so true! I've had maybe 3 or 4 in the past 5 years.

for depriming hot primers, I use WD40, squirt just bit in the case right on the primer anvil (about a drop), and let it set overnite. works good, no ignitions...yet :lol:

jj

I've deprimed a few cases before with no issue, its easy to do. Slow steady pressure is key and it will come right out, no need for wd-40, water, or whatever. Eye protection is a must (I wear it anyway when reloading in general) and you can use ear pro to just in case. Just don't whack it.

i also never had any problem in the past couple of years, when depriming live primers.

I was taught by a very experienced commercial reloader who taught my reloading class to NEVER deprime a case, but, when you do, do so slowly and carefully

:D That was my technique.

be

Either pull the decapper pin and resize or use them as really loud snap caps!

Good idea about the loud snap caps, but don't do that in a revolver. It causes the primers to back out and makes it almost impossible to open the cylinder. I found that out the hard way :)

I believe a commercial processing company had a big lawsuit due to an operator getting seriously injured depriming live primers on an automated machine. It was due to a bunch of them detonating after being punched out

If dillon is taking the time to share information you would be wise to listen and heed his advice.....

Regards,

DougC

Avoidance, or extreme caution, as advised above.

Another observation. I just decapped (cautiously and slowly) some 9mm cases and found that most of them are bulged on the bottom of the cup, opposite of where the decapping pin pushed the primer out. These were once fired CBC cases with no crimp and no hard primer seating to show a really tight cup. The primers were Winchester small pistol. They are actually rounded enough to not turn well in a flip tray.

These primers are now segregated. I'll load them up and report back on any malfunctions.

edited to complete cut off posting

Edited by kevin c

Done it hundreds of times with no issues. From both sides - sometimes get an upside down primer. If you go moderately slow they don't detonate. I collect them and use for practice rounds - they all work as they should. You can tell them, they all have either a small bump, or a dimple, depending upon from which side they were pushed.