Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

tactical pants for winter competitions

monicataliani

My fiancee is about your size and she hates the way "tactical" pants fit on her. She has had good luck with The North Face and RailRiders pants. A little more money, but fashion isn't cheap!

Is she a participant at the matches or a spectator? If she uses them for competition, has she had any issue with the belt loops not fitting her belt or not being strong enough to support a rig?

She's a spectator, but an active duty US Army, outdoors-type spectator that uses them for rugged activities. I just tried my Double Alpha 1.5" inner belt on both pants and it fit the loops just fine. Not sure about how strong the loops are, but they seeem pretty sturdy. The RailRiders are a heavier, tougher material, so I would imagine they are anchored a little better.

-Randy

She's a spectator, but an active duty US Army, outdoors-type spectator that uses them for rugged activities. I just tried my Double Alpha 1.5" inner belt on both pants and it fit the loops just fine. Not sure about how strong the loops are, but they seeem pretty sturdy. The RailRiders are a heavier, tougher material, so I would imagine they are anchored a little better.

-Randy

Awesome! I had looked at the pics online and they weren't super detailed. I couldn't really tell a whole lot from them. Thanks for checking out the belt loops. It sounded ridiculous but a lot of women's pants don't have real sized belt loops, or non-functional ones.

Arc'teryx first and then REI brand. Both have very sturdy loops and good durable fabrics with just enough stretch to not interfere with odd shooting positions. I have a female friend who shoots very well and these are what she prefers as well. If you can find mens Arc'tyrex Rampart pants which fit you they have a very low waist which may help your gun sit a little lower, not sure about the womans waist. Depending on model of any pant make sure the belt loops aren't extra wide as it interferes with the amount of velcro attachment your belt will retain.

small rant....I hate all the new "tech" pants with built in belts!!! You finally find what seems like the perfect pants and then realize you can't use your own belt. Gee, I'm prepared enough to buy these expensive pants but I always forget my belt, thanks for including a cheap one I have to keep adjusting, dumb. Plus, let's say you buy 5 pairs for a trip, now you just packed 4 extra belts.

Edited by carbon9

I really like these from LA Police gear. http://www.lapoliceg...nt-elastic.html

Slightly stretchy waist which adds comfort and in the winter I wear fleece pajama pants under them and they don't feel overly tight with the extra layer...and less than $20.

Just keep in mind that LA Police adds about $10 shipping and handling per item. One pair of pants will cost about $30. Two pairs of pants will cost about $60.

Not exactly

Name                      Code                Qty  Each  Options
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LA Police Gear Operator    LAPG-BO1003EWB        1  19.99  Color/Size/Inseam = SI-38 x 34:
Tactical Pants w/ Elastic                                  Sierra
Waistband
LA Police Gear Operator    LAPG-BO1003EWB        1  19.99  Color/Size/Inseam = KH-38 x 34:
Tactical Pants w/ Elastic                                  Khaki
Waistband
                                         Subtotal  39.98
                                         Shipping  10.89
                                               Tax  0.00
                                             Total  50.87

I really like these from LA Police gear. http://www.lapolicegear.com/basic-operator-pant-elastic.html

Slightly stretchy waist which adds comfort and in the winter I wear fleece pajama pants under them and they don't feel overly tight with the extra layer...and less than $20.

+1 to the LA Police Gear brand pants (and shorts.) they are cheap yet comfortable and durable. I tend to destroy shooting clothes quickly and these have held together as long as the more expensive pants I have purchased from Woolrich, TruSpec, and 5.11. Personally, I think the 5.11 stuff is the least durable of the "tactical" clothing lines. I have blown out the knees on multiple pairs of 5.11 classic pants.

Edit- LA Police gear charges per shipment, not per item. They run regular 20% off sales, so if you are interested in their clothes, keep an eye on their website for deals.

Edited by baa

just bought some vertx pants and I'm really liking them. I have 5.11 tactile pants as well and while I haven't had a issue with them in terms of durability, i do like that the vertx have a more subdued look

i didn't even read the thread but if no one said Vertx, I will. They fit well and are VERY generous in the crotch. I can squat just as low with the Vertx as I can with gym type shorts (which is pretty low for a fat guy).

Edited by spanky

Jeremy... I think you meant a "large-built, not-really-fat-anymore, strong" guy. Keep up the good work. Oh... +1 on Vertx.

i didn't even read the thread but if no one said Vertx, I will. They fit well and are VERY generous in the crotch. I can squat just as low with the Vertx as I can with gym type shorts (which is pretty low for a fat guy).

Edited by justaute

Jeremy... I think you meant a "large-built, not-really-fat-anymore, strong" guy. Keep up the good work. Oh... +1 on Vertx.

haha. thanks Ken. maybe just "not-AS-fat-anymore" :cheers:

Wrangler riggs great pants wear them every day, will not buy another pair of 5.11's. I wear Propper's at work they are very good too, they have an interior elastic waist band easy to wear a under garment. Both Wrangler and proppers pants are very durable.

I got my Tru-Spec pants from CPWSA. Chris Paty is wonderful to deal with, and he ships very fast. Tru-Specs fit great, are very comfortable, and very durable. I think the 24-7 line would be more than enough to fit your needs. They have many different sizes to fit almost anyone.

Agreed, great pants and great guy to deal with....