Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trailer Hitches

sirveyr

Why do they even put threads on a hitch ball? :blink:

I cannot think of a single time in which I have ever successfully removed a ball from one of my hitches. I have tried torches, BMF Hammers, a combination of the two, wrenches, sockets, sockets with a "cheater bar", etc. I may have tried C4, but I'm sure that it was unsuccessful if I did.

The only thing worse than not being able to remove the ball, is not being able to remove the hitch from the receiver so that I can just put a new hitch in it. I even pack the receiver with grease and they still get seized up.

I hate my life sometimes...

I have seen the hitches so seized up in the receiver that a backhoe bucket could not pull it out. We cut the whole thing off and put on a whole new hitch. It was a work truck and salt in the winter will do that to them.

All I have to do is put a trailer behind my truck and take off down the road. The ball unscrew by itself and all I have to do is go back to where the trailer quits doing cartwheels in the road ditch and pick it up from the trailer wreckage.

All I have to do is put a trailer behind my truck and take off down the road. The ball unscrew by itself and all I have to do is go back to where the trailer quits doing cartwheels in the road ditch and pick it up from the trailer wreckage.

So, that was you I was following? :goof:

Im with merlin

I have a tail gate that looks like it was used as a mine plow in WW 2,

because it unscrewed and the boat and trailer attacked me.

I have seen the hitches so seized up in the receiver that a backhoe bucket could not pull it out. We cut the whole thing off and put on a whole new hitch. It was a work truck and salt in the winter will do that to them.

That is where my receiver is at. Chained mine to a tree and gave it a couple of low speed jerks. Did not budge even 1/16th of an inch. Will need to cut it off and put on a new one.

I am a member of the "off the hitch" club with cluster. Turned out the brand new trailer had a bad hitch on it from the factory. It would not reliably grab the ball. We converted it to a pintle hitch (ring kind) and moved on.

Fastest way to take off a stuck ball is a cutting torch or grinder. I've tried long box wrenches and a 36" pipe wrench on the ball too. Cutting Torch is best if you have one. Takes more time to turn the torch on than to cut the thing.

Ted

The balls with the female threads come apart easiest, they also seem to loosen up and let the trailer go it's own way more often it seems.

I hate banging my shin on the %*&*&^#$%&*$@#!@^*#$!@!!!! hitches that are just at the right height on a pick up. :angry::angry2:

I like Ted's method.

For reason reason it minds me of the three photographs of Presidents Reagan, Bush and Obamanos; two with chainsaws and one with curtains.

I got a chainsaw, but now I think I need a cutting torch.

I use neverseize on my trailer hitch ball and can always get them off. I do live in Florida so I don't have to deal with salt on the roads or extremely cold weather either.

That's what I do too... I live in MN and you need to do this or just buy an new hitch every time.