Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Shooter Shoots IDPA and Has a GOOD Time!

Mitch Harrington

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disclaimer: I relay this story purely for the comedy value. If you figure out a way to play Tiddly-winks with a handgun, make sure that I get an invitation! I hold no ill will for any shooting sports.

I generally enjoy both "GAMES", but have to bite my tongue often when confronted by "that guy" (You know, the one with the bandoleers of .223 ammo that cover his "Run...ZOMBIES ARE COMING" t-shirt).

My first IDPA match, I met that guy. His first words to me, after seeing my Spyderco, was a derisive "IPSC shooter, huh?".

Not wanting to be out-of-place, I checked out his gear. 1911 in a straight-up Kydex, CHECK. Double mag pouch with Wilson 47Ds, CHECK. Fixed-blade Rambo-sized knife in a sheath immediately in front of said mag pouch, HUH???

So I looked at him, put on my dumbest hick accent (I'm originally from Eastern North Carolina, so it comes easy to me) and said, "Yep...might be an IPSC shooter, but at least I don't have to worry about jamming a knife blade through my right hand while doing a reload!". He gets in a huff and leaves.

After the shooter's meeting, I go to my first stage. Guess who's on my squad...Yep, HIM! He doesn't speak to me for the rest of the match, but that knife got moved in a big ol' hurry.

We get about 4 stages into the match and that stage requires the shooter to "rescue" a baby and shoot the rest of the stage strong hand only. (It was a doll; they're not THAT realistic!) After the extremely detailed Stage Briefing, I decide that it's time to step it up a bit and lighten the mood. I ask, "Okay, so like, let's say, at the end of the stage, I burn it down and I am REALLY happy with my performance, so I "spike" the baby like an NFL running back and do "The Dirty Bird" dance. Is that cool?". All the IPSC shooters who know me just about die laughing. That guy is not amused in the least.

I remember that! :roflol:

Right after he gave Bruce a 20 second silent stare as a reply to his question on spiking, he asked if there were any other questions. Since there was a portion of the scenario that said three Bad Men were holding your wife hostage and you had to engage them to free her, I said, "Well...I'm a bit of a method-actor and this scene isn't working for me. Since I don't really like the bitch can I instead imagine it's my dog being held hostage? That would go a lot further to getting me stirred up to violence:"

I got the same 20-second stare.

Between stages I was taking up a collection to buy the guy a sense of humor for Christmas.

==================

Let me add that I enjoyed shooting IDPA, even though I'm primarily a USPSA participant. I like any game that gets people out shooting.

Some of y'all might know Claude Werner. Bangs his head on a wall with alarming regularity shooting a revolver. I say that because I've seen him shoot a flat gun, and while he doesn't exactly embarrass himself with that funny round thing, it does impact his score. (*He would say he does it for the challenge and the reliability of a wheel-gun)

He was the IDPA match director where I got started and was very accommodating to the cross-overs. His squad list for a match had headings of, "Squad 1, Squad 2, Squad 3, Squad 4, Squad 5, GAMER Squad". As hard-core a proponent Claude is of IDPA, he never made the USPSA folks feel unwelcome. I haven't seen him in a long time but I still consider him a friend just for that stance. He's a good dude.

As for IDPA shooters showing up at a USPSA match, woe be unto the individual I catch making them (or anyone else) feel less than welcome because of their other interests.

We're all shooters. Different games maybe; but still, we're all shooters.

:cheers:

Locally, USPSA and Steel are the only games in town. I can drive down Alaskapopo's way for a weekend USPSA/IDPA match (one Sat, one Sunday) if I can get away and feel like spending the gas and hotel money. Did it twice last winter. I thought that particular group of IDPA shooters was a good bunch, not too hard on me for airgunning etc. when I didn't know better. Most of them shoot both too. Planning to do it again soon. Summers are too busy.

Some of y'all might know Claude Werner. Bangs his head on a wall with alarming regularity shooting a revolver. I say that because I've seen him shoot a flat gun, and while he doesn't exactly embarrass himself with that funny round thing, it does impact his score. (*He would say he does it for the challenge and the reliability of a wheel-gun)

He was the IDPA match director where I got started and was very accommodating to the cross-overs. His squad list for a match had headings of, "Squad 1, Squad 2, Squad 3, Squad 4, Squad 5, GAMER Squad". As hard-core a proponent Claude is of IDPA, he never made the USPSA folks feel unwelcome. I haven't seen him in a long time but I still consider him a friend just for that stance. He's a good dude.

As for IDPA shooters showing up at a USPSA match, woe be unto the individual I catch making them (or anyone else) feel less than welcome because of their other interests.

We're all shooters. Difference games maybe; but still, we're all shooters.

:cheers:

Claude is THE MAN.

I've known him a while and had the distinct pleasure of shooting the IDPA World match with him. If there's a more grounded participant in IDPA, I haven't met them.

Claude, if you are reading this, I am pretty sure I can out do your high-vis traffic vest concealment garment this weekend at the GA State match though.

Craig

Edited by Bones

Anyone want to start a poll on how long this thread stays open.

Are you suggesting something?

threadlocker.jpg

I shoot both. In IDPA I shoot either SSP or ESP.

In USPSA I shoot Limited. Because in my "real world", I carry what ever my magazine holds.

I won't quit IDPA just because I don't agree with the 10 round rule. I just do my best to follow the rules.

:sight:

Edited by Floyd D. Barber

• 3 weeks later...

I shoot IDPA on rare occasions - it's not too bad to switch (Grouping the USPSA shooters together is an excellent idea). I don't mind getting penalized when I forget the rules, but it's nice to not be griped at for doing so.

I enjoy shooting idpa, too. It's a different game, and as long as you can get your head around that, you'll enjoy it. I'm normally placed in the "gamer squad", but on the occasions I've shot in other squads, everyone is very agreeable.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoy shooting both USPSA and IDPA. Although they have different rules, It's not hard to get the proper mindset before the LAMR. I look at IDPA as driving on the street and USPSA as driving on a track. Different rules but the same tools. Also, I don't mind being called a gamer. I mean, they keep score so.... it's a game isn't it?

So I looked at him, put on my dumbest hick accent (I'm originally from Eastern North Carolina, so it comes easy to me) and said, "Yep...might be an IPSC shooter, but at least I don't have to worry about jamming a knife blade through my right hand while doing a reload!". He gets in a huff and leaves.

Hey I currently live in Eastern NC, and I don't talk like a dumb hick, well at least not around here I don't :cheers:

I Started out shooting USPSA love it we also have just as many IDPA clubs around here so more trigger time right. i will admit it I like both. I even shot major matches for both. I have started brining IDPA shooters to USPSA and vice versa now i got about 5 shooters that shot both now

Also my first 4 months of idpa was with my 5shot snubby

Jeremy Hardin

I shoot both. A large percentage, like me shoot both sports. Just trying to keep the rules straight is the hard part. Sometimes i just want to run out in the open and start blasting away in IDPA :lol:

Lol..!! I went to an indoor IDPA match not TOO long ago and when I was told to "Load to Capacity..." I did.. It was when I still

shot my 5" S&W, M&P Pro.. They hold a BUNCH..!! I STILL hear about this occasionally from a couple of Buds of mine..

I dubbed that day my "TV Loaded" magazine day... My friends said they just KEPT WAITING for me to need a re-load and... I never did..! Lol..!

Ooops.. :blush::roflol:

It does get a bit confusing w/ the rules occasionally, etc.. especially if you prefer one over the other and shoot it more often.

Both games are great, shoot them both, hard shooting back to back though, if I can remember to use cover and reload when I'm allowed, great day. Switching from one set of rules to the other, does force you to think quickly, and that's a good thing.

... I don't talk like a dumb hick, well at least not around here I don't :cheers:

You kinda spell like one though. :)

devil.gif

roflol.gif

Thaught this was a shooting forum not a spelling bee, come to think of the way I've been shooting lately I'm not good at either :roflol:

• 3 weeks later...

LOL!!!

I love how IPSC trains you to shoot fast and faster. I love how IDPA trains you to shoot smart/defensively. I also like Steel for how it helps you improve target to target acquisition -- which I recall Brian writing in his book as being the one skill that distinguishes the great shooters from the good ones. I've never shot bulls-eye, but I can see how rapid-fire bulls-eye can help you kick some serious tail in strong-hand-only stages.

Regardless of your "primary" action pistol sport, I believe cross-training in the other action pistol sports can only help you become a better shooter. And, you might have fun too. :)

Just my two cents.

Disclaimer: I relay this story purely for the comedy value. If you figure out a way to play Tiddly-winks with a handgun, make sure that I get an invitation! I hold no ill will for any shooting sports.

I generally enjoy both "GAMES", but have to bite my tongue often when confronted by "that guy" (You know, the one with the bandoleers of .223 ammo that cover his "Run...ZOMBIES ARE COMING" t-shirt).

My first IDPA match, I met that guy. His first words to me, after seeing my Spyderco, was a derisive "IPSC shooter, huh?".

Not wanting to be out-of-place, I checked out his gear. 1911 in a straight-up Kydex, CHECK. Double mag pouch with Wilson 47Ds, CHECK. Fixed-blade Rambo-sized knife in a sheath immediately in front of said mag pouch, HUH???

After the shooter's meeting, I go to my first stage. Guess who's on my squad...Yep, HIM! He doesn't speak to me for the rest of the match, but that knife got moved in a big ol' hurry.

We get about 4 stages into the match and that stage requires the shooter to "rescue" a baby and shoot the rest of the stage strong hand only. (It was a doll; they're not THAT realistic!) After the extremely detailed Stage Briefing, I decide that it's time to step it up a bit and lighten the mood. I ask, "Okay, so like, let's say, at the end of the stage, I burn it down and I am REALLY happy with my performance, so I "spike" the baby like an NFL running back and do "The Dirty Bird" dance. Is that cool?". All the IPSC shooters who know me just about die laughing. That guy is not amused in the least.

Hey Kyle,

Are there even IDPA matches in Ohio? I thought that there weren't and that most folks who shoot IDPA head on over to Michigan for any IDPA Major matches. I think IPSC/USPSA is what most shooters in OH are into.

Just wondering.

Lets talk about Claude...

Who has a bull-horn and uses it to remind his neighbor's that their dog has been outside barking for a while. cool.gif

I stopped shooting IDPA because several SOs had their own interpretation of the rules...and those interpretations seemed to change from month to month. I'll take consistency anyday.

This is where I am. I have been away from IDPA for three years now but I am headed back. Hoping the rules are clarified and they learn to apply them consistently.

To the OP, It is a great sport and I am glad your experience was positive.

Hey Kyle,

Are there even IDPA matches in Ohio? I thought that there weren't and that most folks who shoot IDPA head on over to Michigan for any IDPA Major matches. I think IPSC/USPSA is what most shooters in OH are into.

Just wondering.

Plenty of people shoot IDPA in Ohio. Some of us enjoy both.

You are right about major IDPA matches though. I wish Ohio did put some on.