Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking at an STI Edge but not sure

Parastang

Hello,

I am looking to upgrade to an STI for shooting "limited" class. I currently have a Para p14/45 Limited and have used it for the past year. Its been a love hate relationship with the Para. Wont get in to that here. I am sorta on a budget. I shoot three to four matches a month. Some are the formal club match and others are a layed back informal type but still with the competitive atmosphere.

I have drooled over the STI's since before I got my Para. I went with the Para first to see if I was going to stay with the game. This year closed my second year of competitive shooting after a 10 year lag. My scores and times have went from bottom two years ago to middle and now to nipping on the heals of some very good higher classed shooters. I even took 1st place this month in a LEO shoot with duty gear and my duty Glock 37. I lend that to my time shooting USPSA style shooting and some things I have learned on this site.

What are the opinions on the STI EDGE? Its one of the more lower priced STI's but seems to still have all the goodies. Its not flashy either. Is that's all there is to the other higher dollar STI's? They all seem to be similar but the higher the price the prettier they get. Since I am trying to budget a little should I just go with the EDGE? I am not about the flash and flare. I just want something better than my Para. Next year I plan to pick up the pace a little and hit some of the bigger shooting events. Is this the right STI to start off with?

Lastly.....and maybe I should do this as a different subject. Why does it seem that many shoot 40cal over the 45cal? I like 45 because simply I shoot a 1911 type gun. 1911's are 45's. It just seems silly to me to have a 9mm 1911. Old fashion? Traditional? I guess I can accept the cost excuses and the availability of 45 brass ect...ect. But what are the competitive benefits? I have shot 40cal 1911's and don't feel they could give me any better opportunity to win than my 45. Right now I have all the 45 stuff and see no reason to turn back.

Thanks,

Jason

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

-Thomas Jefferson

Last things 1st. The reason to go with 40 over 45 would be a capacity issue. 21 rounds in a tuned 140 mag gives you 22 at the start. I am guessing this compares to maybe 18 rounds of 45? Less reloading is less time spent on a course of fire.

As far as the pistol goes, the higher the dollar is usually for more custom work in fitting/tuning the gun. Get what you can afford, and maybe take a look at a used gun in the classifieds if price is an issue. You can probably get something custom for the same price as a new Edge, and have a better performing more reliable pistol.

Just my opinion

Randy

Nothing wrong with an Edge or Eagle, BUT, if you're buying new, by the time you get 4 tuned mags, get rid of the recoilmaster, install a magwell and a dawson front sight, etc., you're getting dangerously close to the cost of a custom gun, and a limited gun will last a LONG time.

So consider that.

Nothing wrong with an Edge or Eagle, BUT, if you're buying new, by the time you get 4 tuned mags, get rid of the recoilmaster, install a magwell and a dawson front sight, etc., you're getting dangerously close to the cost of a custom gun, and a limited gun will last a LONG time.

So consider that.

Your timing couldn't be better watch the classifieds for the next couple of months you will find a good used one ready to rock. 40 because its major and holds more rounds and its cheaper to shoot than a 45. I think tuned mags are over rated, if its not broke don't fix it. My limited gun mags are untuned run 100% of the time hold 20 with Dawson Followers and an SNL pad. Manny Brag sells a kit for a 22 rd mag but read the fine print load it full 10-15 times and you need a new spring. I will take reliabilty over capacity any day.

I prefer the Edge over the Eagle just like the weight of it, but that is a preference try to shoot them and find out where your preference is, the Eagle would be a lot like your Para only lighter.

The Edge is a great place to start in Limited. Especially if you can find a lightly used one or a full custom job. As mentioned the custom pistol will generally be more reliable, fit better and look more high speed :devil:. The .40 caliber gives you more capacity than .45, cheaper brass and .40 weighs less so if you have to fly you can carry more ammo with you. .40 brass is also alot cheaper than .45. My first serious Limited gun was a P14, wont go into detail but I ended up dumping it after it started puking on me at a state match. If you can afford a new tuned Edge I would go that route, if not a used custom or stock Edge that you can upgrade letter

To bad you didn't see the edge yesterday, went for 1800 with I think 6 mags, and a full rig and a bunch of extras. Forgive me for not attaching the post link I am on my blackberry. Look in the clasified pages. But as you find out good deals can be posted and sold in a matter on minutes. Best of luck

My first serious Limited gun was a P14, wont go into detail but I ended up dumping it after it started puking on me at a state match.

Blaster113 been there done that with the Para....

I am looking to order the Edge from Dawson Precision. It has the Mag Well already. As far as the guide rod I will run the stock set up and see what happens. Likely would change it over to an after market set up so I can change the springs. I would hit the classifieds but buying used from a unknown person worries me. If I cant drive to see it I am not likely to buy it. Buying it new I can likely return it.

Is the $200 "DP Enhancement Package" worth the money or is it good enough out of the box? I would rather spend the money on mags, holster, or whatever.

I see where having a few extra rounds between mag changes could help going 40cal. But I should have mentioned when I got started I had ZERO 40 cal brass. I have since collected a bunch. I had a ton of 45 brass to start off with and still have a ton of 45 brass. I have a few guys who give it to me, and a random donation of 45 brass comes from my Dad sometimes. I just bought a Dillon too with 45 dies. So I am all set into 45ACP. Also I reload 45GAP for my duty gun.

Jason

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks."

-- --Thomas Jefferson to Peter Carr, 1785

I'm looking for a STI too and I understand wanting to buy new not used but you can make an agreement with the seller to inspect the gun before purchase. I would love to find a used STI for a good price an they are out there but you have to be the first to see it or it is gone. So If I find one I'll buy it until that happens or if it happens I keep saving up for a new one. Dawson has a layaway program for the edge on their web an that might be a way to go.

I bought a used Eagle on this forum about a year ago, and have had no regrets. I will admit to having a slight moment of uneasiness when it came to sending a check to somebody I never met, but this is not a place where fellow forum members screw one another. If you find a used one, especially from a seller that has been on this site for a while, buy with confidence.

Buy one used, buy one that's been customized, or buy one brand new that is stock. It doesn't really matter because once you get it and start shooting it a bunch, invariably you'll start tinkering -personal preferences if nothing else. Things do break, no matter how good the quality or reputation of the manufacturer, its just the nature of putting a lot of rounds down range as opposed to the casual plinker that only shoots 50 rnds a month. Plus if it is an STI, they have outstanding customer service, and they don't care if you're the original owner or the 3rd. If a part breaks, call them and they'll most likely take care of you.

I bought a DP Tuned Edge .40 and absolutely LOVE it - ultra reliable, love the hard chrome and the extra touches you get in their tuned package. You could do the same with Brazos...but like others have said, watch the classified ads...never know what will pop up.

+++ on the Dawson tuned Edge, just got mine a couple of weeks ago and it is a dream. Yes the extra for the tuned version is well worth the money, a stock out of the box Edge is ok but needs work.

I'm in the same boat as you are. I'm actually considering ordering from Brazos a friend of mine ordered a Trojan from them and it came out great. I was wondering if the "tuned" mags were worth the money, they advertised 500 for 4 magazines i was thinking thats a little steep.

If you buy stock mags $60.00,,new DP,base about $30.00 new,new springs and follower about $15.00,,so let see

$60.00

=======

$105.00 and no shipping and not tuned,,

so really $125.00 per mag tuned aint bad,,,just my .$02

+1 EEH

+2

got a Brazos supertuned set with my first limited pistol 6 years ago. They have worked flawlessly (reliability, drop free, no issues with slide locking back)in no less than 8 limited pistols since.

All,

Thanks for the impute so far. I am likely going to get the EDGE here down the road. Probably going to have to put it on lay-away over the six month freeze here in PA. As far as having Dawson tune it I am still up in the air on that. Despite what everyone says I am still going to run 45ACP.

As far as my Para. Its either going on the auction block or the safe shelf. A few guys I know are looking to get into shooting Limited and I might have a buyer or two. So that money can go toward the EDGE. Maybe I will sell it on here.

Thanks,

Jason

Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.

James Madison, The Federalist Papers