DAWSON FRONT SIGHTS

mhop

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Only problem with the new Dawson's is that they fit a little loose in the dovetail. You have to use the set screw and lock tight. Otherwise they wiggle around with just the retaining pin.

Only problem with the new Dawson's is that they fit a little loose in the dovetail. You have to use the set screw and lock tight. Otherwise they wiggle around with just the retaining pin.

I saw this one one of the "new" Dawson CZ sights with the pre-drilled groove for the cross pin. The sight wiggled like crazy.

My old style Dawsons fit nice and snug after some fitting. Dear DP, change them back!!

I saw this one one of the "new" Dawson CZ sights with the pre-drilled groove for the cross pin. The sight wiggled like crazy.

My old style Dawsons fit nice and snug after some fitting. Dear DP, change them back!!

The problem is with the pre-drilled groove, for a certain tight fit you have to drill your own groove and it is the reason CZ custom does not pre-drill their front sights.

I must have been lucky, my "new" Dawson CZ sight fit nice and snug.

• 1 year later...

I know this is bringing up an old topic but I need some clarity. I have. Cz 75 sp01 shadow. I believe is has a 5.5mm sight (measured from top to bottom of sight) I've measured it as 0.150" from the top of the slide to the top of the sight, and 0.120" wide. My existing sight is the perfect height, but I'd like something with a smaller fibre and slightly narrower.

Dawson have the 0.150 tall x 0.100 wide sight, but I've been reading a lot about people using a 0.170 or even 0.195 tall sight.

Is anyone able to confirm the correct dawson sight, that is the same height as the stock sight for the SP01 shadow?

Thanks guys,

Jase

I know this is bringing up an old topic but I need some clarity. I have. Cz 75 sp01 shadow. I believe is has a 5.5mm sight (measured from top to bottom of sight) I've measured it as 0.150" from the top of the slide to the top of the sight, and 0.120" wide. My existing sight is the perfect height, but I'd like something with a smaller fibre and slightly narrower.

Dawson have the 0.150 tall x 0.100 wide sight, but I've been reading a lot about people using a 0.170 or even 0.195 tall sight.

Is anyone able to confirm the correct dawson sight, that is the same height as the stock sight for the SP01 shadow?

Thanks guys,

Jase

I've bought a couple Dawson FO front sights for Shadows, and .170 is the way to go if you're using a Shadow rear sight.

Thanks guys,

Jase

I've bought a couple Dawson FO front sights for Shadows, and .170 is the way to go if you're using a Shadow rear sight.

Skippy. Thanks for that. With your sight picture when you align the top of the front post with the top of the rear sight, does your bullet impact where the fibre is, or at the top of the front post?

Thanks guys,

Jase

Skippy. Thanks for that. With your sight picture when you align the top of the front post with the top of the rear sight, does your bullet impact where the fibre is, or at the top of the front post?

It impacts at the top of the front post. Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

I realize this thread has been dead for a while, but there is a major detail that no one has brought up, and may be a cause for some confusion. (Unless I'm just confused...)

Dawson actually sells sights of two different dove tail depths a .085" Deep Dovetail which they claim is for the 85 Combat, Kadet22, 75B Series, and 75Tactical Sport. Then they offer a .060" Deep Dovetail they say is for the 75 Shadow. The dovetail depth is listed at the top of each product page. I have seen posts on this thread saying the dovetails on all CZ front sights should be the same, so is this right or wrong? Maybe this has to do with why some people claim their Dawson sights fit loose or snug. This could also mess with peoples calculations between CZ/CZC sights and Dawsons because CZ/CZC includes the dovetail in the sight high measurement, and but Dawson does not. That .025" difference could definitely screw with people's POI/POA's.

I'm currently trying to pick out a Dawson front sight for my Tactical Sport and I'm pretty sure the .215" X .100 (with .085 dovetail) is the right one for me with the factory fixed rear, but I just want to be sure before ordering.

Can anyone clarify this for us???

Edited by EngineerEli

The height Dawson uses is the height of the sight above the slide, not the overall to the bottom of the dovetail.

Mike

Mike,

Im not sure if you're following his logic train.

If the CZ85 sights have a taller dovetail base they will sit HIGHER in the actual dovetail which means that sure, the overall height of the blade may be listed correctly but it will be sitting HIGHER than it SHOULD be. Granted...im not sure if you cold even fit these sights but i guess files will eventually make anything fit. :P

Does anyone have an answer to this? I want to get a particular sight height/thickness for my shadow that is only offered for the 85 combat...

I just put a Dawson sight on my Shadow and it tapped in nice and tight with no fitting whatsoever. I replaced a 6.0mm CZC sight with a .195 Dawson because I wanted to lower the point of impact several inches at 25 yards. At first I thought I might have gone too far, but after shooting, it seemed to be just right. I didn't verify before I removed the CZC sight, but I suspect the bottom of the blade may sit a little above the slide, where the Dawson is even. This may account for .010-.020 inches of the difference.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Reviving this thread... Would the "formula" posted early on this thread apply to the P-07/P-09 series guns? I am curious if the depth of the dovetail is standardized on the CZs or different between the 75/SP-01 series and the P-series guns.

If anyone is able to; could you get a measurement of the overall height of your CZ P-series front sight, blade height and dovetail height as was done at the beginning of this thread?

Thanks!!

I just measured my P09 sights.

I have the .170 front and it is most definitely NOT measured from the base of the dovetail. They're taking their measurements from the top of the slide or from the base of the BLADE.

Magsz, what rear sight are you pairing that .170" tall front sight with?

My dilemma is pairing a .100" wide Dawson front sight with the CZ Custom HTAC rear sight on my P-07. CZC recommends a 6.5mm tall front sight with the HTAC rear on a P-07. Couple the fact that CZC and Dawson use different units to measure their front sights, they measure their front sight height from different points as you stated.

Any input on how to use the formula that is posted at the beginning of this thread to figure out what front sight height to have Dawson make me for my P-07 would be greatly appreciated. Since it will not be standard height they offer it is an extra $10 to order and I don't want to play the trial and error game if I can use a little bit of math and try to wrap my head around all of this lol.

I havent got a clue.

I also wanted to pair a Dawson Front with the Htac rear but it doesnt look like we are going to be able to do that.

I am using the Dawson Low mount rear sight and the .170 front since i switch between 135 and 147 grain loads. I figured the .155 would shoot WAY low with the heavier bullets.

Unfortunately, as is, my rounds impact slightly below the dot at 25 yards. It is WAY less than ideal but that is one of the short comings of running a P09 right now. We simply dont have alot of options.

From A-B on my P09 it is .170 with my dawson fiber front

From A to C on my P09 it is .245 with my dawson fiber front

From A-B on my P09 it is .145 with its #3 stock CZ sight

From A-C on my P09 it is .215 with its #3 stock CZ sight

These are as exact as i can get without taking brand new, uninstalled sights and measuring them.

Good luck bud! Does this tell you anything?

Thanks! It does; the distance from B-C is different between the Dawson and stock CZ sight.

Based on the image I posted above, CZC measures from A-C to get their front sight heights, and Dawson measures from A-B.

Maybe once Stuart gets back into the office Monday he can take some measurements of A-B, B-C, and A-C on the P-series 6.5mm CZC Fiber front sight.

Depending on how far off the B-C measurements are between Dawson and CZC sights the A-B distance should be a fairly straight forward conversion.

6.5mm converts to .255906 inches...

Based on the measurements you provided B-C for the Dawson is .075.

.255" (A-C / 6.5mm) - .075" (B-C) = .180" A-B.

So I would need a .180" Dawson front if I am on the right track here.

• 7 months later...

Sorry to revive a dead thread...but I have a Dawson sight question. I currently have a CZ Tac Sport with the stock rear sight. I have it paired with a Dawson .215 tall front and it's zeroed perfectly. Will the same sight height configuration work on a shorter gun, say a Shadow? I have a Shadow Target Custom. The slide on the Target models is milled for an LPA adjustable rear. As I am not a fan of adjustable sights, I am planning to replace the adjustable with a fixed sight. The stock TS sight happens to fit this LPA cut with minor modifications. So assuming I do use the TS stock sight on my Shadow should I expect the same results with a .215 tall front? Thanks for any input.