Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Safety not engaging after trigger upgrade?

Glockdirtyfour

Hi,

I upgraded my glock 34 with zev tech spring kit and connector. Everything seems to be working fine but the trigger safety does not engage during follow trigger resets. The only time the trigger safety will engage when it's initially racked. Is this normal?

Thanks.

Edited by Glockdirtyfour

Sounds like the trigger-spring (which I bet is now a stronger than stock spring) is winning the tug-of-war it has to play with the striker-spring (which I assume is now a reduced power spring) in the Glock design. Since the trigger-springs in Glocks actually are pulling back on the trigger, and striker-spring strength is what really pushes the trigger-bar forward in order to reset the trigger and also push it out past the striker block drop-safety to where the trigger -safety can reengage. I'd say that's your problem and I'd warn/add that in case you hadn't thought about it, I'd bet your drop-safety isn't working as it should in your current state too (to check: turn the empty gun upside down and rack it so the trigger/striker is cocked, then shine a flashlight down the magwell and see if the tab on top of the trigger-bar is parked pushing up on the safety-plunger, if it is that's a no-no, the tab should be just in-front of the plunger and the plunger should be pushed out of it's recess if the striker-safety is indeed working correctly).

Either go back to the stock trigger-spring or stock striker-spring and it'll fix itself.

Edited by ck1

I'd bet your drop-safety isn't working as it should in your current state too (to check: turn the empty gun upside down and rack it so the trigger/striker is cocked, then shine a flashlight down the magwell and see if the tab on top of the trigger-bar is parked pushing up on the safety-plunger, if it is that's a no-no, the tab should be just in-front of the plunger and the plunger should be pushed out of it's recess if the striker-safety is indeed working correctly).

While this safety feature is also very important, this is actually not the "drop safety". That plunger is the striker/firing pin block (safety). The drop safety is towards the rear where the trigger bar cruciform is in a slot of the trigger housing.

Insufficient trigger pre-travel could disable striker block, drop safety and/or trigger safety. Do you have a pre-travel adjustment too?

I do not have any knowledge one way or the other about the Glockworx, but I do know that the trigger on the Vanek I put in my G24 works. When I first saw the price, I thought now way will I pay $175.00 for a Vanek. Then I shot one and I paid the money. I sent a USPS money order on Monday morning and got the trigger in the mail Saturday morning. I am happy enough with the trigger that I am planning on ordering one for my G35. Once I have the trigger in the 35, both guns will be set up the same other than slide/barrel length.

Glockworx is notorious for disabling or modifying such parts where the safety doesn't work properly. Stay away. Go Vanek!

Can you provide proof to back that up? I've never seen nor heard of that.

+1 would like to know too, I'm just a click away from ordering parts from them...

Pull out the slide release lever and recheck (disassemble and reassemble without the lever). I bet the trigger will reset without the slide release lever installed. If it does, then you can fix it. The release lever spring can cause some binding issues with your spring combo. I've fixed that issue as easy as slightly bending that spring. The benefit is that removing that friction will lower your overall trigger pull weight as well!

Pull out the slide release lever and recheck (disassemble and reassemble without the lever). I bet the trigger will reset without the slide release lever installed. If it does, then you can fix it. The release lever spring can cause some binding issues with your spring combo. I've fixed that issue as easy as slightly bending that spring. The benefit is that removing that friction will lower your overall trigger pull weight as well!

Mind elaborating on this?

What is the spring binding on and which way are you bending? Im assuming you're bending the spring inwards towards the actual lever?

Called Glockworx found out the problem and it was the mixture of my springs. I really appreciate the responses as it did help me troubleshoot the problem myself before getting a hold of glockworx for the right spring kit. Also bought more goodies from them.

Thanks everyone

Edited by Glockdirtyfour

Glockworx is notorious for disabling or modifying such parts where the safety doesn't work properly. Stay away. Go Vanek!

Can you provide proof to back that up? I've never seen nor heard of that.

I wish I had taken pictures of my trigger. The trigger safety had obviously been "shaved/trimmed". It would fire while pressing the outer part of the trigger (without touching the trigger safety). Another member of this forum sent his back (several times if I am correct) and still experienced the trigger not resetting a vast majority of the time. I can't say if it had the same issues as mine, but I have seen others where the trigger safety had been modified. To me, that is extremely dangerous. I bought a Vanek years ago and it was not modified as such. Any company who is willing to modify a safety and (at that time) not openly disclose that, is not worth buying from. Just a warning.

I would never tell such a story if it wasn't true. I don't like to bad mouth a company unless it is due.

Edited by hankfan79

*QUOTE*

But if on a production gun, can't modify the external safety.

NROI RULING:

The Vanek trigger, much like the Speed Bump trigger, has an external modification that makes it illegal for Production division. The Speed Bump trigger has the travel screw mounted to the rear of the trigger and is visible externally, the Vanek trigger, has relocated the pivot pin about 3/16" above the factory specs, and has filled in the original hole with a black material that is still visible on inspection.

Adjusting the trigger safety is not addressed in this ruling.

No but moving the resting position of the trigger to the rear, or modifying the externally visible safety is an external modification. It had been discussed on here at length. I researched it when I started working on M&P's. If NROI has ruled on this specifically, I haven't been able to find it.

No but moving the resting position of the trigger to the rear, or modifying the externally visible safety is an external modification. It had been discussed on here at length. I researched it when I started working on M&P's. If NROI has ruled on this specifically, I haven't been able to find it.

What is it rubbing on that is causing friction in the trigger. The only thing I see it contacting is the locking block pin.

Matt

• 2 months later...

Called Glockworx found out the problem and it was the mixture of my springs. I really appreciate the responses as it did help me troubleshoot the problem myself before getting a hold of glockworx for the right spring kit. Also bought more goodies from them.

Thanks everyone

can you share to us whats the right spring combination then to save us some phone calls. Im using glockworx drop in trigger and trigger bar,trigger and firing pin spring kit with 13lbs ISMI recoil spiring. everything running smoothly until few weeks ago that I start having the reset problem too.

• 3 years later...

Most times its not the striker spring! When you take out the pin holding the slide release you might bend the slide release. This rubs against the side of the trigger creating friction and won't let the trigger safety engage. Just bend it back slightly and polish the side of the trigger where it has contact with the slide release and it will pop out like a charm. And be careful when you take out the big pin! You have to lift the slide release slightly and it'll pop right out.

Henrik305,

You hold the Record for responding to a post 3 1/2 years later.. Forward your address and your Trophy will mailed to you..

That is why all threads should auto lock after 180 days.