Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cheap way to get into open

JAB

Load one to many rounds in your mag in production.

Have a mag that does not fit in the 140 mm mag tester in limited.

Or keep an eye out for a used open gun. Word of mouth can lead the way to the dark side. I picked up one really cheap and runs 100%, only malfunction have been user error. Such as loading to many rounds in my mag or fail to clean my mags when I just dumped them in the dirt on the last stage.

Also keep looking in the classified ads for a deal. How much are you realistically looking at spending?

Or, bud an airsoft open gun. I have one and love it. It will give you an idea of what the gun is like. Te biggest difference is the recoil and loud bang. But mine is set up identical to my open gun.

BAM airsoft can put one together for about 250.00

Cheapest way I can think of for you is to find a used Glock 17 and buy a Jager kit.

this ^

used glocK $400-$500

Jager Open kit $500-$600

Kit fits together in a few minutes. Great fit.

I did this with a 35. Added a few other mods, but getting an open gun for around a grand not bad imho.

I already want an STI for what it is worth... :devil:

I live in SPAIN and I am in the process of doing just what you are thinking about. NORINCOS are available from MARSTAR Canada right?

I have a Norinco NP44 in 45acp. It is a copy of a Para-Ordnance P14. It uses Para mags which are a perfect fit. The big difference is that the frame is NOT cut for a ramped barrel, it has the standard 1911 non ramped barrel. Polishing with the dremel and some jewellers rouge, a bit of spring adjustment and two coils off the hammer spring I have got the trigger with stock parts to 3 1/2 pounds.

The NP44 cost me 602 Euro NEW. I believe they are cheaper in Canada.

I have on order,

A Weigand Weaver mount 72 Pounds Sterling

A Truglow 40mm red dot sight 72 Pounds Sterling, I can always change this to a CMORE railway in the future ?

Two Arrendondo extended Mag bases 36 Euro,

Big head Mag release button 12.50 Euro,

An IGB Austria compensated barrel .45acp including export documents 380 Euro. I could have had a .40 S+W barrel using the same slide but I have all the reloading gear for .45acp.

I already have an SPS aluminium slide puller that fits in the rear sight dovetail 15.50 Euro.

So that comes to a grand total of 1645 in CAD, minus the mag extensions because you have 10 round mags ?

These are European prices, probably a lot less in Canada?

I will need the frame and mag button drilled to install the Weaver mount and the mag button so I don't know the cost of that yet ?

I MAY get a Dawson Ice Para mag well 95 USD ?

ProMag do a 170mm .45acp 20 round magazine for the Para..................next on the list ?

Edited by malagamarksman

CHEAP way to get into Open? Kind of an oxymoron. :rolleyes:

I'd recommend buy once, cry once.... get the most you can afford up front. Don't forget to allow for the holster, mags, ammo... I'd look at a used Caspian or well used STI - one that is broken in and works. You can get screaming deals on used open guns sometimes even with several mags, holster, etc.

Theres a nice used Caspian in the classifieds right now if you want to load for 9x21. But by the time you get more mags, a holster, ammo, etc you end up being back up around $2K probably. That would be my MIN budget to get into Open and give it a legitimate fair shake. You can do it cheaper but you won't be happy with your equipment, in the long run - and either quit or want to sell and upgrade.

"what do you think is the cheapest gun to build to see if they like it?" Buy the used gun someone else sunk all their money into that you get for pennies on the dollar.

Used Caspian Open guns in .38 Super seem to be pretty cheap if you can find them. I bought one a couple of years ago for $1200 with 8 mags including 3 high caps. Sold it this week for $1000 to a friend. I tried the Open Glock route but could never get used to it.

Doug

Do you have a Limited rig already? If you do, you can save some money for the holster, belt, and mag pouches and get the same platform.

Howevever, I agree with the others saying buy once and get what you want. If you have patience, wait until a used version of what you want is for sale.

Here's something to think about, since you live in Canada and have a mag-capacity limit of 10, a Glock open gun may not be a bad idea. You won't have to worry about competing against others with 28+ rd big sticks, and if you don't reload, 40 isn't as expensive as 38 super ammo. Jagr, SJC, and Lone Wolf all sell kits or parts to transform a Glock into an open gun. You just have to see what their policies on shipping to Canada are.

I have a Glock 17 1st gen and a CZ75-b that i use for production.

I have a Glock 22 that just sitting here for the last year.

The "cheapest way" to get into OPEN is to turn your Glock

or possibly CZ into an open gun.

Or, buy a used STI Trubor - one for sale right now for

$2,250 on this forum.

So if some one wants to try open what do you think is the cheapest gun to build to see if they like it

Shoot any Production gun and place a mag in front of your hip bone after the start signal. That's how some people do it anyway... :rolleyes:

well having guns here for sale will not help me as you can see i live in Canada so it would be alot of trouble and cost way to much

With all the restrictions you have in Toronto,

I'd check with your local club members - see

what they've done and recommend.

Jack

JAB, I recommend you look at CGN and see what people do over there.

I'm just about to start the process of importing a used Caspian .38SC from the classifieds here into Canada through Clay at Prophet River. Just figuring out the last bits of details!

Took an extra glock I had, put a Burris on it, shot open minor. Can't get too much cheaper than that.

Oh yeah, I did once with a G34 and a piece of grip tape under the trigger guard. Open with 10 round mags. Zero investment into Open!

Hello: I would get one of the C-More mounts and mount a C-More on your Glock 22. That way you can see if shooting a dot is for you. Or you could use your Glock 17 and shoot Open Minor then get the Jager kit if you like shooting Open. Using 10 round mags makes that part simple for Open :cheers: Thanks, Eric