Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hot, humid, and rain/thunder storms for IDPA Worlds only 3 weeks ago. I hope for the shooters and staff's sake it is held in very late October or early November. With that said, I hope to get a slot to shoot with my Rudy teammates even if it rains and is 100 degrees plus.

I've watched the progress of the World Shoot on the forum from who's going to it's all over. I've gone from excited ( I really want to see that!) to confused (Where can I see that?) to disappointed ( Rats! I didn't get to see that). It was about as anti-climactic as a popcorn fart! One of, if not the THE, biggest events in our sport and all the outsiders can't find a knothole in the fence. Bummer! I understand not going live or posting scores as it may give some advantage to any who haven't shot the stage. However, if I was running the media as of the end of shooting I'd have the scores up in any language applicable. That's just basic. Then there'd be the video. Boy would we have video. I'd have a large video production crew working OT setting up clips. Plug in Jerry M and you'd see every stage he shot in sequence. Plug in USA and you'd see every USA shooter on every stage. Yes, it would take a while but throw in an occasional ad for the equipment and sponsers and you have a 2 day marathon on Shooting USA seeing how it all transpired! Have a clip of the top 5 shooters on each stage and see how they ran it. Have the top shot critique and analyze the stage. Hell, have the LAST shooter analyze the stage and learn how to, or not, run the stage. The mind boggles of the entertainment and marketing opportunities. The Greater Orlando Chamber of Commerce needs to get on board with this. Where else ya gonna put 4000 shooters much less the families and watchers. Bus them in from all over. The Governors office needs to participate somehow. How about 30 minute shows on equipment? Guns, ammunition, shoes, sunblock, tactics. I can see hours of TV shows why competitors had problems; i.e. why so many DQ's? Come on guys! This is the USA!!! Lets show them how it SHOULD be done. We have an opportunity to set a high water mark to have other countries aspire to.

I REALLY don't want to see ANOTHER popcorn fart. Let's crank this puppy UP! I'm 65, from South Florida and the first volunteer. I'll do anything from RO to carry water. Anything to make this a spectacle! Who else is onboard with this? :goof:

Ron

TY63917

I like your ideas. How do you plan on funding this?

That was <_< disappointing to read the very long list of DQs any story relating to that?

They had over a thousand competitors, maybe consider that when looking at the number of DQ's. (Why have a separate list that emphasizes and singles out people for problems they had at the match?)

You can't possibly provide video coverage for every shooter at a World Shoot and you can't just follow USA either, other countries won medals too. There will be at least 30 stages at the event with action taking place on every berm from for 8-10 hours. Kind of like a Golf Tournament but with twice the number of holes.

Coverage of the revent event was lacking for sure, I've already posted some suggestions and next year I will be working those into my web-site (time permitting) to see what can be done to provide live coverage at a match and what the cost would be.

To view stuff on the internet you don't need full HD, so perhaps a bunch of people wandering all over the match with iPhones, take some video and upload it into a web-site which would be better than live-streaming (sure there would be a short delay but most live events have a 5 minute delay on them anyway).

There will be no shortage of volunteers for this match.... How do I know that ? Those that work the match are eligible to shoot the pre-match (scores are incorporated into the main match). USA will most like get less then 100 slots for this competition and probably 500-1000 (or more) will want to shoot it, the only way some of them can is if they work the match, and even then the pre-match numbers are limited.

The first thing the match will need vis a vis coverage is reinforced cell coverage and robust wifi capability.

All the carriers have special event capability. Offering match sponsorship in exchange for the technical enhancements would be a really good idea.

The first thing the match will need vis a vis coverage is reinforced cell coverage and robust wifi capability.

All the carriers have special event capability. Offering match sponsorship in exchange for the technical enhancements would be a really good idea.

Esp if the vendor offer/sell prepaid sim cards for all of the foregin visitors. The US is so far behind the rest of the world on this.

Funding? Hmmmmmm. Always with the negative waves. :blink: Maybe funding is why the Greeks didn't seem to fare so well. No matter. My objective was to stir the pot and get people thinking about the what's and how're we gonna get this show done. Seems the dialog has started. :cheers:

Ron

TY63917

Stir the pot??? I'll put in my two cents here.

Not sure what is the situation with USPSA. It would be helpful for USPSA to learn how to harness the power of its website. What is USPSA's funding situation? Is USPSA capable of articulating its goals -- assuming there are a few -- and executing? I'm just curious about the situation.

Examples:

- There is no mentioning of USA's performance at WS.

- The "latest" USPSA news release still consists of events from the beginning of the season.

- USPSA News & Announcements section - postings do not contain dates.

Edited by justaute

Stir the pot??? I'll put in my two cents here.

Not sure what is the situation with USPSA. It would be helpful for USPSA to learn how to harness the power of its website. What is USPSA's funding situation? Is USPSA capable of articulating its goals -- assuming there are a few -- and executing? I'm just curious about the situation.

Examples:

- There is no mentioning of USA's performance at WS.

- The "latest" USPSA news release still consists of events from the beginning of the season.

- USPSA News & Announcements section - postings do not contain dates.

I have a few ideas...that probably would be easy enough to implement...that would give some added value from USPSA to the membership.

During the winter months I plan on updating my web-site and adding some additional functionality to show video clips taken with an iPhone (according to Verizon, I can upgrade my existing service in February :rolleyes:)

The objective is to be able to take some video of a stage and upload that to my web-site using cell coverage from the range, so within 5 minutes of getting the video I'd like to have it online.

The same with some down-range digital images of the match.

I'll be adding a Twitter feed as well so I can text some short match updates and have them show on a Twitter window on the video page.

Then I need to figure out a way of showing who's winning the match based on an examination of the all the competitors scores but only for the stages that the Super Squad has gone through... That should at least give a fair indication of how the match is going, perhaps that is a function that can be added to EZWINSCORE ?

Hopefully I can have something ready in time for the 2012 Single Stack Nationals.

The small handheld cameras are everywhere. I wouldn't think you would have to pay a large crew to come video the top shooters. Most likely almost every second of their shooting is already being recorded. What would be pretty cool is if you could have a station where those videos could be downloaded at a central spot. I would think with SD cards that really wouldn't be all that difficult. You might have to come up with some small incentive for people to come download their stuff, but that would probably be a lot cheaper than hiring a film crew.

the new CED7000Pro Shot Timer is a fully functional match computer allowing you to score and view stage results, match results, make verification lists for up to 1500 competitors..also in "Match Mode" you can choose a stage and squad to be scored as an RO, the timer shows the RO who is up, on deck , in the hole, also a list of all shooters in the squad , who has shot and who hasn't, also allowing all of a competitors hits to be scored, entered for a stage, and downloaded to a laptop for printout...it is good for both USPSA and IPSC........implementing this at major matches (or even club level matches) sounds like a good idea....there is a small video clip of it on the Double Alpha website

Edited by race1911

the new CED7000Pro Shot Timer is a fully functional match computer allowing you to score and view stage results, match results, make verification lists for up to 1500 competitors..also in "Match Mode" you can choose a stage and squad to be scored as an RO, the timer shows the RO who is up, on deck , in the hole, also a list of all shooters in the squad , who has shot and who hasn't, also allowing all of a competitors hits to be scored, entered for a stage, and downloaded to a laptop for printout...it is good for both USPSA and IPSC........implementing this at major matches (or even club level matches) sounds like a good idea....there is a small video clip of it on the Double Alpha website

Unfortunately, the 7000pro is missing a couple of functions. It is not yet approved as a score keeping device for USPSA. I assume version 2.0 will address this and get approval before the next World Shoot. But for now, its just a great timer and training aid.

Dont get me wrong, I want one when it's up to speed.