Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 s&w bullets

D roc

MasterCastBullets.com 180gn L-TC ($69.42/1000)

Missouri Bullet IDP #5 180gn L-TCFP ($38/500)

Bayou Bullets 180gn L-TC moly-kote ($78/1000)

Precision Bullets 185gn L-RNF moly-kote ($225/2500)

Precision Delta 180gn FMJ ($120/1000)

Zero Bullets (Powder Valley) 180gn JHP ($235/2000)

Montana Gold 180gn FMJ ($303/2500)

In approximate order from very good to best-of-class, I look to MasterCast and Bayou for my .40 bullets.

7 cents a bullet to just a hair over 12 cents a bullet. I consider Bayou to be a hard bullet to beat without spending 11-12 cents a bullet

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MasterCastBullets.com 180gn L-TC ($69.42/1000)

Missouri Bullet IDP #5 180gn L-TCFP ($38/500)

Bayou Bullets 180gn L-TC moly-kote ($78/1000)

Precision Bullets 185gn L-RNF moly-kote ($225/2500)

Precision Delta 180gn FMJ ($120/1000)

Zero Bullets (Powder Valley) 180gn JHP ($235/2000)

Montana Gold 180gn FMJ ($303/2500)

In approximate order from very good to best-of-class, I look to MasterCast and Bayou for my .40 bullets.

7 cents a bullet to just a hair over 12 cents a bullet. I consider Bayou to be a hard bullet to beat without spending 11-12 cents a bullet

The Bayous are a little more than that now (3 weeks ago). I think $90/K.

I've just been using Berrys since it's the cheapest non-lead bullet I could find.

What's wrong with them? Don't know how they compare to other bullets.

I like Precision Delta 180gr a lot. I've also used Black Bullets and they were good too. A little smokey making Major PF with Titegroup. I've also used Berry plated and won't use them again.

Between the 180 and the 165, which do you prefer for Minor loads? Why so?

Cheers

If money ain't much of an issue I like and use 180gr. XTP-HP also. 180gr. MG has worked good for me, Rainier 180gr. HP & 165gr are what I use if I need a quick batch to punch holes in paper targets....

Someone recommended the 165 since, although they're not as soft as the 180s, they're still soft and the sight snaps back quicker than with the 180s.

180 seem to be softer for me for steel shooting. Less felt recoil... But that my opinion.

Between the 180 and the 165, which do you prefer for Minor loads? Why so?

Cheers

If money ain't much of an issue I like and use 180gr. XTP-HP also. 180gr. MG has worked good for me, Rainier 180gr. HP & 165gr are what I use if I need a quick batch to punch holes in paper targets....

165gr at about a 130-132pf are very nice handling IMO. Slide cycles quickly, it knocks over poppers better than the same power factor in 9mm (124 or 147s), slightly cheaper than 180s, and although more specific to me, muzzle flip in my M&P is similar to muzzle flip in my 2011 with major 180 ammo.

Reload you some and see what works for you. Think I may get some today load them and give them a try until my neighbors get butt hurt from all the noise.

The last time I loaded that low if a PF thd RO made me clear my gun and check the barrel. talking a mouse fart load... Don't think my powder measure was metering the powder I was using that well.

I was shooting 180gr JHP Zero's up until now. I called Donnie at Bayou and requested a .400 finished diameter 180gr bullet. I've had issues with .401 and .402 diameter bullets before. I have a different barrel that I throated for oversized bullets but I wanted to be able to shoot Greenies and Zero's through the same barrel. Just because.

Donnie made some up for me and I tested the first 100 in a match. 100% perfect. Velocities were way up, accuracy was great and zero smoke (just like my JHP Zero load).

I worried about gas getting around the .400 bullet causing issues but so far nothing. Loaded over 4.9gr of Universal I was averaging 1010fps. I dropped two tenths of powder which is even lower than my lead load.

Donnie had to get a new bullet mold just so I could try it. I already ordered and received more, I'll be shooting them again tonight at the indoor match. I just hope he can keep up with production!

• 2 months later...

I've been running Montana Gold 180gr JHP and Hornady 180gr HAP out of a STI Edge and Glock 35. Great value and superb performance out of both. Haven't tried anything else but I buy a case or two at a time so I can sit on the same batch for a good while before needing to make another order.

I've just been using Berrys since it's the cheapest non-lead bullet I could find.

They're terribly expensive for what you get, and many people have had major accuracy problems with them (along with pretty much any plated bullet).

Right now the cheapest price I know of for Berry's is TJ Conevera, at $110/K for the 155s mentioned above. You can get Precision Delta 165gr FMJs for $113/K, or Montana Gold 155gr JHPs for $105/K (have to buy a case of 3K), or their 155gr FMJs for $2 less per case of 3K.

For absolute accuracy, in a bulk bullet, I've found Hornady 180gr HAPs are the best. I use either Zero 180gr JHPs or Montana Gold 180gr JHPs for practice, and local matches, the HAPs for major matches. R,

I'm using Berry Plated 40 S&W 155gr. HBRN and am quite satisfied with them and their accuracy, and you can't beat the price.

I just listed several jacketed bullets that are less expensive, and tend to be more accurate in most people's guns. R,

Thanks for the info, G-Man.

A couple of follow up questions:

1) Were these accuracy problems from years ago, or are they still on-going? From what I understand, Berrys double-strikes every bullet these sounds, and I thought that that eliminated the accuracy inconsistencies.

2) Where's the cheapest place to buy Hornady 180gr HAPs?

Cheers.

They're terribly expensive for what you get, and many people have had major accuracy problems with them (along with pretty much any plated bullet).

Right now the cheapest price I know of for Berry's is TJ Conevera, at $110/K for the 155s mentioned above. You can get Precision Delta 165gr FMJs for $113/K, or Montana Gold 155gr JHPs for $105/K (have to buy a case of 3K), or their 155gr FMJs for $2 less per case of 3K.

For absolute accuracy, in a bulk bullet, I've found Hornady 180gr HAPs are the best. I use either Zero 180gr JHPs or Montana Gold 180gr JHPs for practice, and local matches, the HAPs for major matches. R,