Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If you are DQ'ed,do you stay?

I don't blame people for leaving after being DQed, but I do notice and appreciate those that stay and help out.

If (when) it ever happens to you, it's instructive to watch the 5 Stages of Grief (Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, Acceptance) play out.

are there safe dq's or undangerous dq's??

never had a dq, but i would stay and help paste targets and stuff like that.

Novice shooter literally turns almost 270 in the middle of a stage before realizing his mistake, and sweeps back (has the gallery scrambling). Kind of on the 'unsafe' side. :surprise:

Experienced shooter puts one into the berm during a reload. Stops himself, looks at the RO, shrugs, ULSC,HD,H. :unsure:

Experienced shooter gets target lock while on the move and goes 181. No sweeps, really no endangerment of anything but cardboard. But a DQ, nonetheless. Has a tense conversation with the RO and MD about 180 traps.:angry2:

Who should stay to help, and who should pack his toys and go home?

I think whether to stay or go depends on the situation.

I have never been DQ'ed in 7 years of shooting.

There have been a few times when I could have been or maybe should have been, but so far,.... no.

I have left major matches twice, but due to injury, not disqualification.

In a club match, I would definately stick around and help reset the steel, taping, etc.

It's just a matter of good range etiquette.

In a major match it depends on when it happens.

If it is the 1st day of a 3 day match and I'm 600 miles from home, I would probably pack it up and try to save additional hotel costs.

Otherwise I think it is better to stick around, help your squad however you can, and be there at the end to shake the hands of the guys that shot with you.

I love shooting sports, especially the big matches. I don't have to participate to enjoy the moment. It's enough to just be there and take it all in.

Tls

I got DQ'd at Area 4 yesterday, a real BS call, too. I seriously fumed for a stage, then helped tape and set steel a bit while alternately watching other squads shoot.

I don't blame people for leaving after being DQed, but I do notice and appreciate those that stay and help out.

Same here.,

And, at an hour or so per stage, I can see where folks could easily decide to head out.

Edited by pivoproseem

Doesn't matter to me if he stays or leaves.

Honestly, sticking around to paste targets and reset steel isn't a huge gesture nor a sign of great sportsmanship as far as I'm concerned. (However, whenever someone talks about his DQ on this forum, he usually points out that he stuck around to help the squad.)

It's hardly like volunteering at the local homeless shelter. Instead, I think people that do stay do so to show everyone that they aren't sore about being DQ'd, but it's not a noble gesture.

In the most practical sense, staying has a pretty poor return to the squad on the DQ'd shooter's time investment. ( How much faster did the match go because the DQ'd shooter stayed and pasted? Probably not much.) For that entirely practical reason, if DQ'ed I say go home without shame and without being judged by everyone else.

Doesn't matter to me if he stays or leaves.

Honestly, sticking around to paste targets and reset steel isn't a huge gesture nor a sign of great sportsmanship as far as I'm concerned. (However, whenever someone talks about his DQ on this forum, he usually points out that he stuck around to help the squad.)

It's hardly like volunteering at the local homeless shelter. Instead, I think people that do stay do so to show everyone that they aren't sore about being DQ'd, but it's not a noble gesture.

In the most practical sense, staying has a pretty poor return to the squad on the DQ'd shooter's time investment. ( How much faster did the match go because the DQ'd shooter stayed and pasted? Probably not much.) For that entirely practical reason, if DQ'ed I say go home without shame and without being judged by everyone else.

If you have only 8 or less people on your squad (including the RO), having the DQ'd shooter leave dramatically slows things down. Having the DQ'd shooter be permanent RO speeds things up.

It's none of our business, and definately inappropriate for us to imply poor sportsmanship if the shooter goes home.

Most of us give up something to go shoot; time, money, wife, kids, girlfriend, etc. Going home allows the DQ'ed shooter to reclaim some of his weekend back.

FY42385

I've heard the following from the folks who brought me into the sport: "I came into the sport because of the shooting, I stayed in the sport because of the people."

I have been the recipient of friendship, advice, ammo, parts, equipment, backup guns, rides, meals, and just about anything else you can name.

I will stay and help tape, reset steel, keep score, pick up brass and help tear down stages. It is the least I can do to show respect for the folks who have done so much for me.

Just my opinion.

I've heard the following from the folks who brought me into the sport: "I came into the sport because of the shooting, I stayed in the sport because of the people."

I have been the recipient of friendship, advice, ammo, parts, equipment, backup guns, rides, meals, and just about anything else you can name.

I will stay and help tape, reset steel, keep score, pick up brass and help tear down stages. It is the least I can do to show respect for the folks who have done so much for me.

Just my opinion.

+1!

My first USPSA match and I was nervous as one could be. Got to the second stage and crossed the 180 and got my first DQ. Picked up my stuff and put it in the truck and went back to help my squad. They were very encouraging about not giving up and that it happens to everyone sooner or later. Enjoyed the afternoon after all I had planned to be there to the end. I believe the squad has a lot to do with one's decison to stay or leave.

I have no problem with a DQ'd shooter leaving. I would actually prefer it. Them sticking around to help tape and take down is nice.

My context is probably different and has mellowed somewhat. I was skiing with members of the Chilean National Ski Team. Their coach was a friend. One team member ignored the coach's instructions on skiing over a jump/bump and when airborne extended his body rather than collapse it. The skier crashed and broke his leg. The coach sent him home as soon as possible to get him away from the team. He was demoralizing the team, the team was focusing on him and his plight rather than the tasks at hand.

I realize this is not the same thing as getting DQ'd but the lesson of focusing on the task at hand and not on mistakes of others has stuck with me over the years. So that incident biases my judgement, probably unreasonably.

I DQd on the first stage of the first day of shooting at the only Level 2 match I've been to. Everyone was understanding and some actually apologized to me for DQing me. LOL I didn't have a problem with the DQ as I did something bone headed and deserved it. After I packed everything away I decided to just leave. It was still really early and I just didn't want to stick around for the whole day. If it had been later in the day I probably would have stayed and helped.

I have yet to be DQ'ed.

When it happens though, I'll stay and finally get my UltraGM card in taping.

As previously said, it says a lot about a shooter.

Not that going home should be looked upon in a negative light. I'd say the way a shooter leaves is more reflective of their character than the fact that they left.

I've experienced it both ways. My first DQ was at my first nationals on the 2nd stage, and I didn't fully understand or agree with the call (It's a moot point now, no need to dredge up the details). I was still a relatively new shooter, I'd worked hard to get there,spent major $$$ to be there, and my wife was coming to Vegas to watch me shoot on the third day. At the time, it was a major kick in the gut, and although everyone was as nice as they could be about it, all I could think of was getting my gear in my bag, my bag to the car, and getting away from what was a HUGE disappointment.

Its worth noting that while I knew the rules, no one had explained the etiquette of DQing to me, and I had no idea what Sedro Wooley did with DQ reports. At the time, it didn't seem so far fetched that I'd in effect have to wear a scarlet DQ on my jersey, and be persona non grata at local matches.

So I left, spent an afternoon by myself in the desert, and managed to find a place in Vegas that served beer so I could drown my sorrows for an hour or two that night.

My other DQ was at a local match when my gun picked "Make Ready" as the perfect time to develop a case of hammer follow. By this time I knew the drill, understood it wasn't the end of the world, and spent the rest of the morning serving as RO (It didn't hurt that the weather was nice and my mother-in-law was visiting).

I can't begrudge anyone for leaving after a DQ, especially at a big match or if they have other obligations elsewhere. I don't think its a lack of character or poor form. But I sure do appreciate it when they stick around to help out.

I feel that it's a great gesture for someone to volunteer their time after being DQ'ed. I'm sure one day it will happen to me and when it does, I'll stay and help also. Not because I want people to notice that "I'm a great guy", but for the fact that is a volunteer sport and I will put in my volunteer time into the sport, no matter what I do on the CoF.