Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poor boys production gun?

I am just finishing up my 1st season of USPSA. Been shooting single stack and I am looking to pick up a production gun to train with other the coming winter and shoot next season.

Trying to keep it cheap. Looking at a XD 9 in the Tactical size. Does anyone recommend a different gun?

I fondled a used G34 today $525 with 2 mags at a local shop. It seems like a heavier gun than the XD and I like the XD ergonomics more.

The XD mags are about $8 more a piece (i am cheap but can live with that).

I am seeing used XD's online from time to time just gotta wait for the right deal to come along.

M&P pistols for $399 with "Military, LEO, First Responders" discount through Buds Gun Shop. This discount includes retired, disabled, and active MILITARY as well. Glock offers the same discounts to the same groups but they cost a little more. Summitgunbroker.com is about the best around. I have gotten numerous guns from Mark.

Edited by hankfan79

• 3 weeks later...

M&P pistols for $399 with "Military, LEO, First Responders" discount through Buds Gun Shop. This discount includes retired, disabled, and active MILITARY as well. Glock offers the same discounts to the same groups but they cost a little more. Summitgunbroker.com is about the best around. I have gotten numerous guns from Mark.

Well I am none of the above so a $399 M&P is out of the question... unless your implying i commit a shell sale which is illegal in my state of MN.

I have found a nice clean M&P 9mm Pro here locally. I borrowed one last weekend for a 3gun match. I shot it better than my Sig... Thinking it will be my new production gun for next year.

G17 Gen 3

Join GSSF and get it for $425 with three magazines.

You have to be a member for a year before you get the discount. Ask me how I know....

I joined and literally ordered my gun in the same transaction. I know at least one other person who's done the same.

I used an XD9 Tactical in Production for little while before selling it to fund my Open gun. Liked it, more than my Glock work gun. Tried a box stock M&P Pro and liked that more than both the XD and the Glock. If I had to choose between the 3 I'd take the M&P hands down.

• 3 weeks later...

I think you are getting very good advice. I believe that a 9mm Glock 17 or 35, a Springfield XD Tactical, or a S&W M&P Pro or L would be great platforms to start with. Pick one - none are wrong, one choice may be more right for you - and just shoot it for a year. If you change your mind a year later, you can sell and get most of your money back if you buy well. I have all these models by the way. Every week there is a complete Production rig for sale for a Glock or M&P on the classifieds.

In all cases, minimize the mods and just shoot them with quality ammo and you are off to the races!

How cheap is cheap to you? That Glock 34 for $525 is a good price. You can easily find used Glock 17's for $380-400 and used Glock 34's for around $500. If you're worried about cost you have to take into account mags, sights, holster, mag pouches, belt etc. I just got a used Glock 34 with Warren/Sevigny fiber optic sights for $525 w 2 mags. But I already had 8 mags for my G17, belt, holster, mag pouches. If you have the time to wait, I'd wait to find one with the sights you already want and anything else you want with it. Search the forums classified, Gunbroker, GunsAmerica if you don't have a problem buying used.

A used Glock 17 can be had for ~$400 from Summit.

You can find used CZ's in the $300-350 range.

ATI now has a Beretta 92 clone available from CDNN for $299 brand new (and I've seen them run a sale where you got the gun and 5 mags for that price). I've not shot them but everyone I know who has them has stated that if you didn't read the slide you'd never know it wasn't an actual Beretta.

Heck before getting my M&P 9L I shot production with a Ruger P95. You can have fun shooting just about anything. I've even considered shooting production with a Walther P-1 just for the heck of it. :)

You may have already made your choice but if not my advice would be go to your local range and rent the pistols you are most interested in... run a few rounds thru each one and make your choice based on how well you can perform with each.... you'll be much more confident competing with a pistol you already know you shot well, or at least are comfortable with.

• 1 month later...

I agree with the guy (or gal) that said the gun is the cheap part of this sport (at least in production). Considering what you'll spend on your rig, mags, and ammo...I wouldn't sweat a couple hundred dollars difference if you find a gun that fits your hand, eyes, and needs well. Even though I had other handguns, when the wife decided she wanted to shoot USPSA we got a pair of inexpensive Ruger SR9s. After buying our rig, reloading press, and going through around 10K rounds...the price of the gun is far insignificant. As not to make the same mistake twice, we ordered a pair of Limcat Open pistols...arriving in Feb. "Buy cheap, pay twice", or "The best is the least expensive over time."

Like I said, find the best gun that fits your needs....you won't regret it.

very good advice in the posts, the price of a Production gun is insignificant when you think about ammo, match fees, travel, etc. decide which platform you'd like to shoot, then look for that killer deal. right about now is a good time to hit up the classifieds.

ATI now has a Beretta 92 clone available from CDNN for $299 brand new (and I've seen them run a sale where you got the gun and 5 mags for that price). I've not shot them but everyone I know who has them has stated that if you didn't read the slide you'd never know it wasn't an actual Beretta.

But we do read the slide, and whoever ATI is, they ain't on the list.

• 1 month later...

Thought I should provide yall with an update!

I have gotten tons of good advice here. I learned early on magazines, and ammo are the expensive part of the sport. The guns last forever, everything else is a "consumable". No different than nails, screws, bits, and blades are when working construction.

I ended up trading my stock XD-9 with Dawson Fiber optics for a XD9 tactical with springer guide rod, and extended mag release. My gun had around 2400rds through it, and this one has about 200. I think I made a good trade. :roflol:

I have so little invest in this gun I can afford a trigger and magwell right away (magwell is for 3gun, not shooting production).

post-32945-0-35655700-1324145491_thumb.j