Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Catch Phrases or Sayings That Bug You

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you age as a shooter, you'll find you don't hear quite as well as you once did.

If you drink enough, you'll find you don't really care what most people say.

I ignore just about everyone and drink.

I'm a happy camper :cheers:

When you age as a shooter, you'll find you don't hear quite as well as you once did.

If you drink enough, you'll find you don't really care what most people say.

I ignore just about everyone and drink.

I'm a happy camper :cheers:

hmm...

I'm already old and don't care what people say - without drinking.

Maybe if I start drinking they'll disappear? :roflol:

If had a dollar for every time a prison inmate says, "...You know what I'm sayin'?" God, how totally weary I am of that one! Prisons ought to establish a rule or two about using that phrase... such as, maybe adding a day to their sentences if they're caught using it (and at the rate they say it, those days will add up fast). And offer classes on how to stop saying it. That might go a long way toward fixing some problems. You think I'm kidding. No. It's called constructive discipline. Offer inmates some earned time off for succeeding. Hey, it's an idea. I'm tired of hearing "...You know what I'm sayin'" after every other word in their remarks! It's even worse than "like."

I have to say that some of the bad ones are:

"PT, good for you and good for me"

"If we don't do it who will"

and the worst ones:

"You can't"

"You won't"

"You don't have the skills"

"the word like gets on my nerves like i can't believe that like you would use that word like 1000 times like in the same sentence"

If I'm not mistaken, "jibe" is a nautical term used on sailboats. But, maybe I'm daydreamin' again.

Yes, you are correct. It has two meanings:

intransitive verb

:to shift suddenly and forcibly from one side to the other —used of a fore-and-aft sail

: to change a vessel's course when sailing with the wind so that as the stern passes through the eye of the wind the boom swings to the opposite side

intransitive verb

: to be in accord : agree

taken from www.m-w.com

Jive on the other hand has a few meanings, none of them is to agree, or be in accord.

My personal favorite, again from www.m-w.com is:

a : glib, deceptive, or foolish talk

b : the jargon of hipsters

"I hear what you're saying"

My old boss would ask me to research something or ask for an opinion.

I'd give it my best shot, then inevitably he would say "I hear what you're saying" then ignore my input.

What an A**hole :excl:

If had a dollar for every time a prison inmate says, "...You know what I'm sayin'?" God, how totally weary I am of that one! Prisons ought to establish a rule or two about using that phrase...

Actually, that's not a phrase, it's a complete sentence. :P:devil:

Not one that "bugs" me, but I do find it amusing. This is another contribution from my better half:

"It's a doggy dog world"

She first heard it many years ago as a recruiter for a large insurance company. After the interview, she and her colleages had quite a laugh during the debrief while they came to the conclusion that it must have been a contraction of: "It's a dog-eat-dog world".

We chuckle about it every now and then especically because we love dogs...

Edited by lumpygravy

"Um" "Errrr" "Uhhhh"

You get 3 freebies. If you are addressing a crowd, learn to accept a silent pause. Excessive use is usually due to the speaker, orator, narrator not wanting any breaks. If you are deciding what to say, it's ok to not say or utter anything instead of filling the void with garbage.

I've seen someone use "Ummm" about 120 times, while reading a prepared lecture. That one I don't understand. The words are written down, as she wrote them yet she still found it necessary to "Ummm" it to DEATH.