Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lanolin Case Lube

gabeechman

Here's a popular link - http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm

You can also do a google search for "lanolin case lube" - there are lots of results.

I suspect the exact amounts really aren't all that critical. The lube is really 100% lanolin. The alcohol is only a carrier. If you try to use too much lanolin you won't be able to get it all to dissolve. Too little and it might not give you as much lube as you want. It is apparently important that you use a concentrated isopropyl alcohol (91% or above I think).

Get a 4 oz. bottle of liquid lanolin, Amazon is a great source for this. Procure a 24 oz. spray bottle from the local dollar store and pour the lanolin into the bottle. Leave it setting upside down on top of the bottle for a while so you get as much of the lanolin as possible to drain out. You can slso rinse the lanolin bottle out with alcohol to get the dregs out. Then just bring it up to 24 oz. with high proof alcohol. Which alcohol doesn't really matter but I like the danatured alcohol from the paint section of Wallyworld, everclear also works well, or you can get some from your local pharmacy (might have to ask for it).

Use it sparingly, I only give 223 cases layed out on a cookie sheet one burst, a little shake and they are good to go.

Edited by technetium-99m

I use Dillon case lube. A bottle last so long that the cost is almost inconsequential to me. Try putting a couple of handsful of brass in a zip lock bag, then spray a couple of pumps into the bag, seal it & shake for a couple of seconds. Enough lube gets into enough case mouths to lube the expander. A couple of hours in the tumbler removes the residue. I do wipe the lube off the neck & shoulder with a cotton rag to prevent dents. Enough lube is left in these areas to prevent sticking, even after wiping them.

Thanks guys for the links and feedback. I too use Dillon case lube, but I tend to go through enough to notice the cost. I just wanted try my hand at making my own since I've seen before that it is the same as the Dillon case lube.

• 4 months later...

I have been using my bottle of Dillon case lube for 5 years. It is lanolin based, I just add alcohol every time I use 25% of the bottle. I am going to use what is left without diluting it further. I use a zip lock bag for lubing handgun cases two short pumps is plenty.

• 1 month later...

I think Dillon is too concentrated. I sprayed a few shots into a bag and the brass was sticky and gooey. After a week I went back to reload and the bottom layer of brass was stuck to the bin. I had to retumble the stuff and it still felt sticky.

Tried lanolin in the palm of the hand and all I got was soft hands.roflol.gif I was not impressed with the lubing ability.

One shot still reigns supreme in my humble opinion with pure silicone spray being a close second.

This is with pistol brass only.

I think Dillon is too concentrated. I sprayed a few shots into a bag and the brass was sticky and gooey. After a week I went back to reload and the bottom layer of brass was stuck to the bin. I had to retumble the stuff and it still felt sticky.

:surprise:

Wow! I think you used wayyyy too much!

I use 2 pumps in a stainless bowl, dump in 200-250 cases, stirr/shake/roll them around, and dump them into the casefeeder, that's plenty of lube! (put lube in before cases, keeps the lube out of the case interior)

never had a problem with the cases being too sticky when left in the case feeder for a week or so, but they do need to be cleaned/tumbled after loading.

dillon lube is the only one to use when sizing bottle-neck rifle cases, so that's the only one I buy... :cheers:

jj

• 3 years later...

Recommendation for my fellow ziplock baggie lubers out there. Spray the lube into the bag, then add the brass (instead of the other way around). Seal it up and tumble/message the bag gently. Open it up and let the alcohol dry out and you are set to go with the bonus that you didn't spray lanolin straight into 20-30% of your cases.

Edited by Niland

I use "Now Foods Liquid Lanolin Pure, 4 Ounce" from Amazon.com. I apply to a few 1"x4" strips of lint free microfiber cloth. Add the strips plus clean brass into a sturdy plastic jar (large mayo jar). Shake and roll it around for 1-2 minutes. Dump, sort and start loading. Coat is enough for smooth press operation but light enough it doesn't need to be wiped off.

I use "Now Foods Liquid Lanolin Pure, 4 Ounce" from Amazon.com. I apply to a few 1"x4" strips of lint free microfiber cloth. Add the strips plus clean brass into a sturdy plastic jar (large mayo jar). Shake and roll it around for 1-2 minutes. Dump, sort and start loading. Coat is enough for smooth press operation but light enough it doesn't need to be wiped off.

Is this for pistol cases only or will it work for .223 cases? How much lanolin do you put on the strips?

Thanks.

I load 223 and spray it with the same homemade as the pistol. 99% alcohol and liquid lanolin oil. 1:8-9 ratio. Warm the ingredients then mix. Put in a spray bottle. Put brass in a shallow box,shake bottle and give the brass 2 sprays. Shake the box and give one more spray. Smooth with 223, 30-06 as well as 50AE. I use use steel sizers, not carbide. Haven't had a stuck case or crushed a shoulder as can happen with one-shot. YMMV

Is this for pistol cases only or will it work for .223 cases? How much lanolin do you put on the strips?

Thanks.

It works great for pistols brass and okay for 223(i've only done it once for 223 cases). I put a line of oil on one strip, lay another cloth strip on top and repeat. Then use my fingers to rub the strips to distribute the oil. Throw some brass in the jar, add a strip and repeat. Roll it around, dump, sort then load. Brass has a very thin layer of oil. May not be perfect, but it is was what I had laying around. Best part is I just store the strips in the jar until my next reload.

• 2 weeks later...