Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sightrackers, trend or gimmick?

XDman

If you have read some of my other threads, I am looking to add a new limited gun to my pack. I like the look and the longer sight radius of the 6 in models. I have also read, and heard from Matt at Cheely Custom that the 6 in sightracker paperwork is in process to be legal in Limited. Since I have never shot nor seen in person, what is it like to shoot a sightracker? Can you focus easier on the front sight? Do you feel it helps you, or is it a gimmick?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but my search did not yield answers.

The trend in the 6" is to keep the weight down using a bushing barrel. The sight tracker may give superior accuracy but do yo need a 40# fly swatter.

AirCooled racer has a good 6" gun in the classifieds, no need to wait.

Benny Hill builds the Fat Free and his 6" guns are like the defacto standard..

I shot a couple weeks ago with a guy that had two of those Cheely 6" sightracker guns, and he didn't know that they were not approved yet, but I told him sssshhhhh, I won't tell if you don't. level 1 match. He was in love with it, and seemed to do well with it, aka no FTF etc.

I have shot a 5" and I shot a 6" this past weekend and I didn't see a noticiable difference. There is a cool factor! greatly lightned slide, with a heavier barrel. But the gun tracked similiar to what my 6" gun did already. I don't think you will gain much if any going to a sighttracker, but they sure do look neat.

The trend in the 6" is to keep the weight down using a bushing barrel. The sight tracker may give superior accuracy but do yo need a 40# fly swatter.

AirCooled racer has a good 6" gun in the classifieds, no need to wait.

Benny Hill builds the Fat Free and his 6" guns are like the defacto standard..

I shot a couple weeks ago with a guy that had two of those Cheely 6" sightracker guns, and he didn't know that they were not approved yet, but I told him sssshhhhh, I won't tell if you don't. level 1 match. He was in love with it, and seemed to do well with it, aka no FTF etc.

I contacted Aircooled, and was told his gun was sold.

I owned a 5 inch for a while, and it didn't blow my mind. Nothing negative, just nothing outstanding.

I felt more of a difference with a 5" Caspian with some serious slide lightening.

FY42385

I shot a match with a friend's six inch Dawson gun. I found the longer sight radius a boon to accuracy, especially on longer shots. I thought is reduced the muzzle flip-faster shot recovery.

I also found I was more sluggish in the transitions and my movements.

All in all, I found no reason to stop shooting my 5 in SV from Kodiak Precision.

If I was doing a new build like you, I would try one out before I jumped to a 6 inch sightracker.

I think the six inch gun has proven its worth, I am just not sure about the sightracker.

I don't know a single person who shoots a sight tracker in Eastern Colorado. On the other hand a ton of guys have longslides. Doesn't necessarily mean anything, just an observation.

Sightracker is a cool name, but the sight is still on the end of the gun, so still it goes away and comes back into view. Since the end of the barrel is further away in theory, the sight should raise more than if it were on the slide, but I can't tell the difference when I shoot, it goes away and comes back, so all is good with the world.

I have a SVI sight tracker that is ridiculously accurate and is my favorite Limited pistol for all around IPSC shooting, but I shoot he same times with my other variations but I seem to have bonded with this one more.

I'm not a 6" fan, and do not understand the following they have. Maybe when my vision goes and I can no longer make the 25 yard head shots with my 5" gun, I will like one.

I've shot a few rounds through a sight tracker and my "A" class eyes didn't notice a real difference in tracking the front sight. They are certainly cool looking as Sean mentioned and the lightened slide, heavy barrel designs are proven. One distinct advantage would be less wear and tear on your fiber if you run a FO front sight.

My 6" pistol (non-sighttracker) is the softest, flattest shooting limited pistol I've ever shot. My current setup is a 12oz internally lightened slide, Government style recoil system, a 10# Spinco recoil spring and two shock buffs. The front buff is an aluma-buff.

FWIW, next week I will begin testing a new 5.4" SV. I love my 6", but this may be the perfect compromise. :devil:

I was talking to a 3-gun shooter a few years back and he told me that he shot way better with his SV over his Glock and when he switched to his sight tracker his performance went up the same amount(up 20% then up 20%) That was good enough for me . I am always looking for a hardware solution (guns) for a software problem (ammo and practice).

I did not see any real difference with the sightracker except the recoil impulse was less (slightly). I think that can be attribute to the slide lightening effects of the slide cut. I like my Sightracker its a great gun,but the secret to getting better is ammo and practice. Of Course I am in the process of buying two guns and I am thinking about buying a new shot gun. But then I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer. :roflol:

I've shot a few rounds through a sight tracker and my "A" class eyes didn't notice a real difference in tracking the front sight. They are certainly cool looking as Sean mentioned and the lightened slide, heavy barrel designs are proven. One distinct advantage would be less wear and tear on your fiber if you run a FO front sight.

My 6" pistol (non-sighttracker) is the softest, flattest shooting limited pistol I've ever shot. My current setup is a 12oz internally lightened slide, Government style recoil system, a 10# Spinco recoil spring and two shock buffs. The front buff is an aluma-buff.

FWIW, next week I will begin testing a new 5.4" SV. I love my 6", but this may be the perfect compromise. :devil:

5.4"....Tell us more, or better yet, post a pic.

Pics and Chrono info to follow. Brandon returns from the Infinity Euro Open early next week and I'll receive the 5.4 for testing. Early info on the one I held: 5.4" bushing barrel, butler cut, 43oz total weight. It was trimmed a bit to fit the IPSC box, but should be still be close. I'm really looking forward to testing driving it :cheers:

I was talking to a 3-gun shooter a few years back and he told me that he shot way better with his SV over his Glock and when he switched to his sight tracker his performance went up the same amount(up 20% then up 20%) That was good enough for me . I am always looking for a hardware solution (guns) for a software problem (ammo and practice).

I did not see any real difference with the sightracker except the recoil impulse was less (slightly). I think that can be attribute to the slide lightening effects of the slide cut. I like my Sightracker its a great gun,but the secret to getting better is ammo and practice. Of Course I am in the process of buying two guns and I am thinking about buying a new shot gun. But then I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer. :roflol:

I'd be careful with that advice...pistol is maybe 25% of 3-gun, and most matches are 2 hits anywhere and no required PF. I've not tried it, but the sights are only needed for maybe 20 shots or so at most matches and sights or no sights might only affect your score by 3-5% max!

I'd be careful with that advice...pistol is maybe 25% of 3-gun, and most matches are 2 hits anywhere and no required PF. I've not tried it, but the sights are only needed for maybe 20 shots or so at most matches and sights or no sights might only affect your score by 3-5% max!

That's not the way it seemed at the Kentucky Blue Ridge match this year. Pistol shots were long and plenty, little 6 inch squares at 15 to 20 yards gave me a hard time. I was glad to have my 2011 trigger pull instead of a Glock, but pistol accuracy was key. Just my 2 cents!

Shot Blue Ridge with my Glock, had no problems. Even hit the tiny no-shoot covered target on stage 4 with 1 shot. But Blue Ridge stresses more accuracy than any other. I'm just saying 3 gun is not a good barometer for pistol accuracy in general.

Edited by MarkCO

Pics and Chrono info to follow. Brandon returns from the Infinity Euro Open early next week and I'll receive the 5.4 for testing. Early info on the one I held: 5.4" bushing barrel, butler cut, 43oz total weight. It was trimmed a bit to fit the IPSC box, but should be still be close. I'm really looking forward to testing driving it :cheers:

I thought i misread that wrong but apparently not, is that what it sound s like and why a 5.4 as opposed to a 5 or 6?

I had a chance to shoot a 5" sight tracker and a sti edge side by side, same ammo, shoot one, put it down, shoot the other.

the sight tracker shot softer than the edge

I didn't notice any difference in how the front sight tracked, or my ability to focus on one better than the other

but the sight tracker did shoot softer, and the muzzle rise was less, it drove me batty trying to figure out why, until I took the sight tracker apart and found the heaviest guide rod I've ever felt in it.

I thought i misread that wrong but apparently not, is that what it sound s like and why a 5.4 as opposed to a 5 or 6?

It was designed to fit the IPSC box. So, 5.4 was as long as it could be. Here is a photo of it taken during the build process.

post-13546-0-35853500-1307707646_thumb.j

I believe under IPSC rules the max barrel length is 5 inches. Hence the Glock 35 is not legal, to my understanding, as it has a 5.2 inch barrel and fits the box.

I just read the IPSC rules for standard division and didn't see anything about a 5" barrel limit. But it could be listed somewhere else...

Hi

sorry for a bit off topic post.

Brandon mentioned this new gun during a mail discusion a few weeks ago when we discusses the new aluminum followers (they're great). Under IPSc it just needs to fit the box. New rules proposal for 2012 includes an additional rule for the way the pistol has to be fitted in the box. The proposal is that the pistol has to be fitted with tel slide paralel to the long side of the box. Brandon told me it would work under the new rules and I could not figure out how.

This picture makes evrything clear. Most 5,5 inch guns need to be under an angel to fit the box eg a modified gun.

SV cop could tell a bit more on the magwell this one is different as well. Does it still offer enough support and prevents gripping the gun "wrong". This happens with other 5,5" pistols.

thanks,

Edited by Copland

I've shot Sighttrackers for two years and I can tell that there IS a difference in sight tracking. It's not obvious at first, but shoot two pistols at the same time, one in sight tracker configuration, and one with slide mounted sight, and you'll see the difference.

As for the newest Standard pistols, Brandon was kind enough to let me play with the two pistols he brought to Infinity Open last week end. I shot a couple of rounds through both configurations (a short framed one and the one pictured by SVCop).

They both have a bushing barrel at this time but I was able to track the sights just like with my Sight trackers. These guns are awesome, both by look and by the concept behind them.

Even more awesome was the fact that Brandon finished the build just a couple of days before flying to Europe !

I also played with the 6inches pictured on Infinity website (but without shooting it) and it's HOT !

My advice, try all different configurations side by side if possible, then pick the right one (my bet it will be an Infinity ;) )