Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TEXAS MULTIGUN 2012

There are a few matches that run the half day format and I'm a big fan! As the slowest member of the 3 gun nation squad I can assure you those guys didn't hold anything up. The camera crew was set and ready to go before walk through and those guys are super fast on the shooting. I had to fight Mike Voight and 3GN champion Tommy Thacker to set a piece of steel. They get after it!

I was thinking ProAm because there seems to be a huge following in the Dead Center of Texas for anything LaRue does including this match. So there were a bunch off new shooters present. I want to see that number grow. I could care less about myself getting done faster. New shooters and great sponsors is what makes this sport so great!

For those of you that haven't shot the ProAm it's basically two ,arches running simultaneously. Pros on more challenging stages and Ams on more accommodating stages with everyone coming together after the match for food and drink.

I think a lot of the fun of TXMG is indeed the fact that it is one match--where pros and amateurs all shoot together. While most of us amateurs are no competition for the pros, some do surprisingly well. For example, Sheldon Blackwell (one of our local Texas Multigun club shooters) came in second in Tactical last year (right behind Taran) and came in first this year in Limited. Lance Dingler, another local guy, came in 7th in Tactical this year.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a few matches that run the half day format and I'm a big fan! As the slowest member of the 3 gun nation squad I can assure you those guys didn't hold anything up. The camera crew was set and ready to go before walk through and those guys are super fast on the shooting. I had to fight Mike Voight and 3GN champion Tommy Thacker to set a piece of steel. They get after it!

I was thinking ProAm because there seems to be a huge following in the Dead Center of Texas for anything LaRue does including this match. So there were a bunch off new shooters present. I want to see that number grow. I could care less about myself getting done faster. New shooters and great sponsors is what makes this sport so great!

For those of you that haven't shot the ProAm it's basically two ,arches running simultaneously. Pros on more challenging stages and Ams on more accommodating stages with everyone coming together after the match for food and drink.

I think a lot of the fun of TXMG is indeed the fact that it is one match--where pros and amateurs all shoot together. While most of us amateurs are no competition for the pros, some do surprisingly well. For example, Sheldon Blackwell (one of our local Texas Multigun club shooters) came in second in Tactical last year (right behind Taran) and came in first this year in Limited. Lance Dingler, another local guy, came in 7th in Tactical this year.

Sheldon and Lance would not be considered Amateur by anyone's standards. The term Pro in this sport is used very loosely. There's aren't many shooters that actually make a living competing or even working in the industry. I know If i had to shoot for my lunch There would be a lot less of me.

Anybody else want to shoot the WWII division again? i thought it was fun. (except the 3 times my op rod came off). i don't care about the theme of the match, i would like to try the WWII again. anyone else?

:cheers:

I'd shoot WWII division again! :-)

+1 :cheers:

I'm game for WWII again next year, too!

There has to be a better way to run that many shooters. Granted I'm new to 3 gun and this was my 2nd major but the wait times between stages was something else. I was told by many a seasoned 3 gunner, that's the way it is. Saturday we waited 2.5 hours to shoot our last stage. Once we got on a stage, we were done in 35-40 minutes, we had a great squad, as did many others, why not a 1/2 day format?

I think the 3 gun nation squads should shoot on a separate day, though the TV crews did well with what they had, it did slow down the match. Cool to watch once, but after being behind them for 3 days, no thanks.

As an RO on the stage with the most movement in the match I can tell you that there is no way in hell we could have run any more shooters through our stage or run the stage any faster than we did. You guys were waiting so long because the match ran so smoothly that we were running on average an hour ahead. I couldn't possibly say anything bad about the TV squad because although it took a bit of waiting for the crew to set up, that squad ran the stage as fast or faster than any all weekend. The stage was usually reset and we were staging the next shooters shotgun in the barrel when the 75 second par time beep went off on the timer for the previous shooter more often than not (and I am being totally literal here.) If you have a better way, then come on out, work the match and show us...

We wrere one squad ahead of the film crew and we were also the last squad done on Friday. I don't think they held up anything. The shoot was great and I like the more laid back approach instead of trying to cram everyone thru as fast as possible. I have been competing in everything from motocross to gun shoots and even archery stuff. You have wait times at all of them and this shoot was one of the best ran that I have been to in a long time. Can't wait for next year! Bringing more sun screen :)

Thanks Glen. I can tell you from an RO perspective we were busting ass all weekend, and gladly doing it, to try to "cram everyone through as fast as possible".. :)

I think we averaged around 2 minutes per shooter on Stage 8 all weekend.

We would need a range with 30 bays, and twice the props/targets/stands/steel to do that Jesse. The amount of steel, financially speaking, that we shot at that match is truly mind boggling... Another great reason that we need to thank Mark Larue over and over again for being the patron saint of the TX Multigun. I wish we had it, but we use what we have.

Edited by BigLucky

We would need a range with 30 bays, and twice the props/targets/stands/steel to do that Jesse. The amount of steel, financially speaking, that we shot at that match is truly mind boggling... Another great reason that we need to thank Mark Larue over and over again for being the patron saint of the TX Multigun. I wish we had it, but we use what we have.

This is THE LARUE TACTICAL TEXAS MULTI GUN!!! You speak like its not possible when anything is possible! :cheers:

Seriously though if anyone can do it this match can. They had more staff more local help and more steel than any other match I have been too. It would be monumental! :cheers:

+1

Part of the appeal is getting to rub elbows with the big boys. I don't think I'd even come out and play if I knew I was going to have to stay in the kiddie pool...

YMMV

+1

Part of the appeal is getting to rub elbows with the big boys. I don't think I'd even come out and play if I knew I was going to have to stay in the kiddie pool...

YMMV

The ProAm had both groups on the same property at the same time. Heck several of the big boys RO'd for the Am match that started and finished a day earlier than the pro match. Then the Am's got to take classes for FREE from several top Pro shooters and they got to watch the Pros shoot their match. I urge you to attend the RockCastle ProAm and tell me it's not the ultimate shooting experience.

It's only rival is the Texas Multi gun match in regards to epicness.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

There has to be a better way to run that many shooters. Granted I'm new to 3 gun and this was my 2nd major but the wait times between stages was something else. I was told by many a seasoned 3 gunner, that's the way it is. Saturday we waited 2.5 hours to shoot our last stage. Once we got on a stage, we were done in 35-40 minutes, we had a great squad, as did many others, why not a 1/2 day format?

I think the 3 gun nation squads should shoot on a separate day, though the TV crews did well with what they had, it did slow down the match. Cool to watch once, but after being behind them for 3 days, no thanks.

I thought that the wait was all good as it gave plenty of time to get your shit together for the next stage. Man there is nothing worse than not being prepared for the next stage and in 3 gun there is a lot to prepare for. There is always mags to load guns to lube etc... and when you shot with a spouse its x2 sometimes.

As far as the 3 Gun Nation crew and squad they really do need to shoot with ROs or on another schedule. We were the squad right in front of them the whole match and it was very distracting at times trying to figure out a stage or being held up as the crew taked to the ROs to find out how and when to do there set ups to film..

A couple of times they would start the big Boom truck they had there for filming and start positioning it going up and down with the boom etc.. right in the middle of us trying to shoot the stage. It was very disrespectful to the group that was shooting. I hope I never have to be in front of that mess again.

The match awesome was and we will be back. Sheldon you guys did a great job hats off to you and your whole staff! The WWII reenactment was off the chart!!

As far as the 3 Gun Nation crew and squad they really do need to shoot with ROs or on another schedule. We were the squad right in front of them the whole match and it was very distracting at times trying to figure out a stage or being held up as the crew taked to the ROs to find out how and when to do there set ups to film..

A couple of times they would start the big Boom truck they had there for filming and start positioning it going up and down with the boom etc.. right in the middle of us trying to shoot the stage. It was very disrespectful to the group that was shooting. I hope I never have to be in front of that mess again.

I agree the 3 Gun Nation stuff is a burden. I mean do we really need to inconvenience ourselves with putting out sport in front of a National audience in NBC Sports? I bet Mark LaRue was pissed too having all his banners on TV. Heck the prize table would be much easier to navigate without all those annoying new sponsors putting up all those guns and gear not to mention the annoying new Shooters that show has brought into the sport. Ugh!!! Plus we had to wait around for prizes and watch that boring shoot off. Im just glad next year the Pros won't be shooting all of theses matches since 3 Gun Nation is having there own series of matches. It's gonna be great!

:surprise::roflol:

I thought that the wait was all good as it gave plenty of time to get your shit together for the next stage. Man there is nothing worse than not being prepared for the next stage and in 3 gun there is a lot to prepare for. There is always mags to load guns to lube etc... and when you shot with a spouse its x2 sometimes.

There was one group, wearing grey shirts that said "TEAM GILL"; I think they might have actually been a family. I think they were all using the same shotgun - one would come off the stage, the next (usually the hole shooter) would grab the shotgun and an RO, go over to the side berm, fill the tube, and put the gun back in the rack.

Their equipment prep must get intense. And I really want to know what type of shotgun they were using, if they were indeed all using the same gun, that could stand that much shooting in one weekend - and what lube, too!

There was one group, wearing grey shirts that said "TEAM GILL"; I think they might have actually been a family. I think they were all using the same shotgun - one would come off the stage, the next (usually the hole shooter) would grab the shotgun and an RO, go over to the side berm, fill the tube, and put the gun back in the rack.

Their equipment prep must get intense. And I really want to know what type of shotgun they were using, if they were indeed all using the same gun, that could stand that much shooting in one weekend - and what lube, too!

Team Gill Rocked. Father and 3 sons. One of the sons was shooting single stack (Not WWII). Got lots or mag change practice on the plane stage. :roflol:

Team Gill Rocked. Father and 3 sons. One of the sons was shooting single stack (Not WWII). Got lots or mag change practice on the plane stage. :roflol:

They had two shotguns.. and I think two rifles.. My stage was rifle/shotgun so I saw it first hand, and had to make sure they were spaced correctly in the shooting order.

Edited by RUSHARP2

Here is how I see it, and I too was on the squad ahead of the big boys. This is my first major match after competing locally for 1 year. After winning or placing high in local matches there comes a time when we all want to branch out and see how we stack up and learn from those better than us.

From the time I got to my hotel, I shook hands with James Casanova in the parking lot. Then he invited me into his room to help me with holdovers for the long range stage, which he had already walked thru and lased for range and I was unable to do because of my 13 hour commute. The willingness to help some noboby from a top ten competitor was awesome right from the start and set the stage for the rest of the match.

I then get to the match on Friday and run into some of the big boys from last years 3 gun nation TV show. They shake hands, ask ME how my stages are going, give me some tips on my upcoming stages, and sit now and enjoy a pop and brisket wrap with some guy they have never met. (Big thanks to Eric Lund, Keith Garcia, Clint Upchirch, Pat Kelley, Rustin Bernskoetter, and Mike Voigt)

That night at the motel I run into Jesse Tischauser and have a smoke with him outside the hotel while we talk about stages and the match in general. Go out for dinner and lo and behold who is catching a beer at the bar but Daniel Horner. He recognizes me in my shooting apparel and I catch a beer while chatting about the stages and the last couple days shooting.

I also talk to Sheldon Carruth each night in the hotel lobby and he wants MY opinion on the targets used, how the match is running, and what could be better.

Now I will say this, at times the camera crew behind us was slightly distracting but I think we all could learn to tune out distractions during a match. What a small price to pay for growing interest in our sport, more brand support and feedback from shooters actually being listened to by big companies, and being able to rub elbows with the stars of this sport for both the entertainment and the learning value. Try catching a NFL game, asking to pay an entry to compete with the big boys, and ask if you can meet a few of them for tips and tricks over a beer later. There simply is no other sport offering this kind of opportunity!!!

OK rant off

PS...Props Glen and Shiloah from Seekings Precision. You guys were a class act to shoot with and I had a blast...To the Brown brothers, thanks for the Texas hospitality until we meet again

Sheldon...to you and your crew....Great Work...This was an EPIC first match for me

Jacob

Here is how I see it, and I too was on the squad ahead of the big boys. This is my first major match after competing locally for 1 year. After winning or placing high in local matches there comes a time when we all want to branch out and see how we stack up and learn from those better than us.

From the time I got to my hotel, I shook hands with James Casanova in the parking lot. Then he invited me into his room to help me with holdovers for the long range stage, which he had already walked thru and lased for range and I was unable to do because of my 13 hour commute. The willingness to help some noboby from a top ten competitor was awesome right from the start and set the stage for the rest of the match.

I then get to the match on Friday and run into some of the big boys from last years 3 gun nation TV show. They shake hands, ask ME how my stages are going, give me some tips on my upcoming stages, and sit now and enjoy a pop and brisket wrap with some guy they have never met. (Big thanks to Eric Lund, Keith Garcia, Clint Upchirch, Pat Kelley, Rustin Bernskoetter, and Mike Voigt)

That night at the motel I run into Jesse Tischauser and have a smoke with him outside the hotel while we talk about stages and the match in general. Go out for dinner and lo and behold who is catching a beer at the bar but Daniel Horner. He recognizes me in my shooting apparel and I catch a beer while chatting about the stages and the last couple days shooting.

I also talk to Sheldon Carruth each night in the hotel lobby and he wants MY opinion on the targets used, how the match is running, and what could be better.

Now I will say this, at times the camera crew behind us was slightly distracting but I think we all could learn to tune out distractions during a match. What a small price to pay for growing interest in our sport, more brand support and feedback from shooters actually being listened to by big companies, and being able to rub elbows with the stars of this sport for both the entertainment and the learning value. Try catching a NFL game, asking to pay an entry to compete with the big boys, and ask if you can meet a few of them for tips and tricks over a beer later. There simply is no other sport offering this kind of opportunity!!!

OK rant off

PS...Props Glen and Shiloah from Seekings Precision. You guys were a class act to shoot with and I had a blast...To the Brown brothers, thanks for the Texas hospitality until we meet again

Sheldon...to you and your crew....Great Work...This was an EPIC first match for me

Jacob

Jacob,

It was good meeting you man! Word to the wise, if I ever invite you into my room to discus holding anything don't do it. We will both regret it in the morning!

Go out for dinner and lo and behold who is catching a beer at the bar but Daniel Horner. He recognizes me in my shooting apparel and I catch a beer while chatting about the stages and the last couple days shooting.

Is he finally old enough to drink?

Hahaha

Seriously though, what a sweet first match experience you had Jacob. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little jealous.

I did however get to sleep at the range both weekends and hang out with brother doing something besides "work" work which was cool. As tired and worn out as I was at the end, I still can't wait until next year. All the RO's I worked with and all the ones I didn't get to work with this year are an incredible group of people. I do feel honored to be a part of that group and can't wait for the reunion tour.

I can't thank Sheldon and Marcy enough for powering through the hardships to make the match and my personal experience what it was. Their dedication to each other and Texas Multigun is simply staggering.

The next step for me is to find a 3 gun match that is somewhat local. I'll be damned if I go a whole year without shooting another one again!

I shot WW2 and I would do it again, I need to learn how to reload that Garand much quicker than I did in Texas! I felt the match was well run, I don't want every match to be run just like every other match out there. That is what makes each on different, if you don't like the format or the terrain don't go anymore and pick another that best suites your likes!

Sheldon, Marcy, Mr & Ms Larue, all the great ROs- thank you for putting together a great weekend of celebrating our 2nd amendment rights with friends and honoring the sacrifices of so many young men and women from the Greatest Generation.