Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TEXAS MULTIGUN 2012

I thought that the wait was all good as it gave plenty of time to get your shit together for the next stage. Man there is nothing worse than not being prepared for the next stage and in 3 gun there is a lot to prepare for. There is always mags to load guns to lube etc... and when you shot with a spouse its x2 sometimes.

There was one group, wearing grey shirts that said "TEAM GILL"; I think they might have actually been a family. I think they were all using the same shotgun - one would come off the stage, the next (usually the hole shooter) would grab the shotgun and an RO, go over to the side berm, fill the tube, and put the gun back in the rack.

Their equipment prep must get intense. And I really want to know what type of shotgun they were using, if they were indeed all using the same gun, that could stand that much shooting in one weekend - and what lube, too!

Team Gill Rocked. Father and 3 sons. One of the sons was shooting single stack (Not WWII). Got lots or mag change practice on the plane stage. :roflol:

Well, they inspired me to set a goal...I've got 4 boys. Someday I want to bring all 4. And the Mrs. And all shooting.

I shot WWII, and I timed out on the plane only having to hit each target once...I can't imagine the reloads if I had to hit each one twice. :surprise:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahaha

Seriously though, what a sweet first match experience you had Jacob. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little jealous.

I did however get to sleep at the range both weekends and hang out with brother doing something besides "work" work which was cool. As tired and worn out as I was at the end, I still can't wait until next year. All the RO's I worked with and all the ones I didn't get to work with this year are an incredible group of people. I do feel honored to be a part of that group and can't wait for the reunion tour.

I can't thank Sheldon and Marcy enough for powering through the hardships to make the match and my personal experience what it was. Their dedication to each other and Texas Multigun is simply staggering.

The next step for me is to find a 3 gun match that is somewhat local. I'll be damned if I go a whole year without shooting another one again!

Aaron, you and Reagan had better get your tails back down here before next April. Thanks again for all the hard work!

Here is how I see it, and I too was on the squad ahead of the big boys. This is my first major match after competing locally for 1 year. After winning or placing high in local matches there comes a time when we all want to branch out and see how we stack up and learn from those better than us.

From the time I got to my hotel, I shook hands with James Casanova in the parking lot. Then he invited me into his room to help me with holdovers for the long range stage, which he had already walked thru and lased for range and I was unable to do because of my 13 hour commute. The willingness to help some noboby from a top ten competitor was awesome right from the start and set the stage for the rest of the match.

I then get to the match on Friday and run into some of the big boys from last years 3 gun nation TV show. They shake hands, ask ME how my stages are going, give me some tips on my upcoming stages, and sit now and enjoy a pop and brisket wrap with some guy they have never met. (Big thanks to Eric Lund, Keith Garcia, Clint Upchirch, Pat Kelley, Rustin Bernskoetter, and Mike Voigt)

That night at the motel I run into Jesse Tischauser and have a smoke with him outside the hotel while we talk about stages and the match in general. Go out for dinner and lo and behold who is catching a beer at the bar but Daniel Horner. He recognizes me in my shooting apparel and I catch a beer while chatting about the stages and the last couple days shooting.

I also talk to Sheldon Carruth each night in the hotel lobby and he wants MY opinion on the targets used, how the match is running, and what could be better.

Now I will say this, at times the camera crew behind us was slightly distracting but I think we all could learn to tune out distractions during a match. What a small price to pay for growing interest in our sport, more brand support and feedback from shooters actually being listened to by big companies, and being able to rub elbows with the stars of this sport for both the entertainment and the learning value. Try catching a NFL game, asking to pay an entry to compete with the big boys, and ask if you can meet a few of them for tips and tricks over a beer later. There simply is no other sport offering this kind of opportunity!!!

OK rant off

PS...Props Glen and Shiloah from Seekings Precision. You guys were a class act to shoot with and I had a blast...To the Brown brothers, thanks for the Texas hospitality until we meet again

Sheldon...to you and your crew....Great Work...This was an EPIC first match for me

Jacob

Jacob,

It was good meeting you man! Word to the wise, if I ever invite you into my room to discus holding anything don't do it. We will both regret it in the morning!

That's just sick! Funny, but Sick! :)

Jacob, it was great to meet you. Good luck and we'll see you at the next one.

James

Hahaha

Seriously though, what a sweet first match experience you had Jacob. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little jealous.

I did however get to sleep at the range both weekends and hang out with brother doing something besides "work" work which was cool. As tired and worn out as I was at the end, I still can't wait until next year. All the RO's I worked with and all the ones I didn't get to work with this year are an incredible group of people. I do feel honored to be a part of that group and can't wait for the reunion tour.

I can't thank Sheldon and Marcy enough for powering through the hardships to make the match and my personal experience what it was. Their dedication to each other and Texas Multigun is simply staggering.

The next step for me is to find a 3 gun match that is somewhat local. I'll be damned if I go a whole year without shooting another one again!

Aaron, you and Reagan had better get your tails back down here before next April. Thanks again for all the hard work!

Justin, It is on my to do list to make it down for a couple of the monthly matches this next year if it kills me. I've got to try my hand at WW2 also. That just looks too fun and manly to not do!

There are a few matches that run the half day format and I'm a big fan! As the slowest member of the 3 gun nation squad I can assure you those guys didn't hold anything up. The camera crew was set and ready to go before walk through and those guys are super fast on the shooting. I had to fight Mike Voight and 3GN champion Tommy Thacker to set a piece of steel. They get after it!

I was thinking ProAm because there seems to be a huge following in the Dead Center of Texas for anything LaRue does including this match. So there were a bunch off new shooters present. I want to see that number grow. I could care less about myself getting done faster. New shooters and great sponsors is what makes this sport so great!

For those of you that haven't shot the ProAm it's basically two ,arches running simultaneously. Pros on more challenging stages and Ams on more accommodating stages with everyone coming together after the match for food and drink.

I think a lot of the fun of TXMG is indeed the fact that it is one match--where pros and amateurs all shoot together. While most of us amateurs are no competition for the pros, some do surprisingly well. For example, Sheldon Blackwell (one of our local Texas Multigun club shooters) came in second in Tactical last year (right behind Taran) and came in first this year in Limited. Lance Dingler, another local guy, came in 7th in Tactical this year.

+1

Part of the appeal is getting to rub elbows with the big boys. I don't think I'd even come out and play if I knew I was going to have to stay in the kiddie pool...

YMMV

The ProAm had both groups on the same property at the same time. Heck several of the big boys RO'd for the Am match that started and finished a day earlier than the pro match. Then the Am's got to take classes for FREE from several top Pro shooters and they got to watch the Pros shoot their match. I urge you to attend the RockCastle ProAm and tell me it's not the ultimate shooting experience.

It's only rival is the Texas Multi gun match in regards to epicness.

The classes from the pros sounds good. And being able to watch them shoot the match would be instructive, but only if they were shooting the same stages I was; so I could see how they solved the stage persentations Vs. the way I solved them. I might even learn something! <SEG>

I appreciate your sentiment, but the idea of separate courses of fire for the different "classes" of shooters just doesn't appeal to me.

Good Luck and Good Shooting,

Tommy

Being able to participate in a sport with or against the very best in the sport on EARTH, is a special part of 3 Gun. I can only think of two other sports you could do this in those being Triathlon's and Marathon's My running days have ended,

Go ahead and try to walk on an NFL field or a PGA Golf course, or a Basketball court in the NBA, and try to see how you stack up against the very BEST!

With the Tiger Wood's, of the sport,, You will not be allowed to even try.

3 Gun is One place you can Man-UP and see how you stack up. Against the Very Best.

In National Competitions I come in the Middle, depending on how you want to look at that depends on your perspective.

Coming in, In the middle in an event with the Very Best on the Planet. IS ok with me.

Here is how I see it, and I too was on the squad ahead of the big boys. This is my first major match after competing locally for 1 year. After winning or placing high in local matches there comes a time when we all want to branch out and see how we stack up and learn from those better than us.

From the time I got to my hotel, I shook hands with James Casanova in the parking lot. Then he invited me into his room to help me with holdovers for the long range stage, which he had already walked thru and lased for range and I was unable to do because of my 13 hour commute. The willingness to help some noboby from a top ten competitor was awesome right from the start and set the stage for the rest of the match.

I then get to the match on Friday and run into some of the big boys from last years 3 gun nation TV show. They shake hands, ask ME how my stages are going, give me some tips on my upcoming stages, and sit now and enjoy a pop and brisket wrap with some guy they have never met. (Big thanks to Eric Lund, Keith Garcia, Clint Upchirch, Pat Kelley, Rustin Bernskoetter, and Mike Voigt)

That night at the motel I run into Jesse Tischauser and have a smoke with him outside the hotel while we talk about stages and the match in general. Go out for dinner and lo and behold who is catching a beer at the bar but Daniel Horner. He recognizes me in my shooting apparel and I catch a beer while chatting about the stages and the last couple days shooting.

I also talk to Sheldon Carruth each night in the hotel lobby and he wants MY opinion on the targets used, how the match is running, and what could be better.

Now I will say this, at times the camera crew behind us was slightly distracting but I think we all could learn to tune out distractions during a match. What a small price to pay for growing interest in our sport, more brand support and feedback from shooters actually being listened to by big companies, and being able to rub elbows with the stars of this sport for both the entertainment and the learning value. Try catching a NFL game, asking to pay an entry to compete with the big boys, and ask if you can meet a few of them for tips and tricks over a beer later. There simply is no other sport offering this kind of opportunity!!!

OK rant off

PS...Props Glen and Shiloah from Seekings Precision. You guys were a class act to shoot with and I had a blast...To the Brown brothers, thanks for the Texas hospitality until we meet again

Sheldon...to you and your crew....Great Work...This was an EPIC first match for me

Jacob

Jacob,

It was good meeting you man! Word to the wise, if I ever invite you into my room to discus holding anything don't do it. We will both regret it in the morning!

James

James you really gotta change your screenname to your full names. Everything is see Casman all I can think of is that Seinfeld episode.

I sent my LaRue Scope mount certificate in and within 4 business days I had my mount. Included was a copy of the U.S. constitution and a bottle of Dillo Dust. Another shout out to LaRue for a great sponsorship!

OK rant off

Jacob

Jacob,

James

James you really gotta change your screenname to your full names. Everything is see Casman all I can think of is that Seinfeld episode.

Oh Man! I think you might be right. I knew I was missing some essential education by not seeing that show.

Questions and Commentary from and Assistant Match Director: Sometimes it is nice to hear the facts of what was going on behind the scenes...

1. Jesse - ProAm: Great idea... However, we pride ourselves on the mix of shooters, that's why we cranked up the number of stages, ramped up the speed and honed the reset. (You probably noticed these things.) I put the match book together for the ProAm, but couldn't tell the following. Did the Pro's and Am's shoot the same "physical" stages? (Don't think so) We are hampered by physical space at Best of the West. As great as the facility is, that is our limitation! We may be able to hit 500, but it will stretch the formula.

2. Jessie - Prize Table: Careful Here Please! As the guy in charge of this. (Who could have done a better job BTW!) Not all sponsors "bite the hook" for 3GN. Don't get me wrong, there were Gold Sponsors who came in BIG, but we did not get the sponsorship of other matches. Thank God for LaRue Tactical! Mark and Team came through in a large way. Thanks to ALL of our sponsors for coming through for our shooters!

3. ALL: 3GN Camera Crew and Schedule - First, we were on time OR ahead of the printed schedule. Overall, we never got behind the printed schedule. Second, some individual stages did get behind, but it was because they were true MultiFun stages! Resetting three guns (Great job on Stages 6 & 11 crew!) is a tall order and out team did a phenomenal job! The RO's on these stages sucked it up and made things happen. Finally, the direction I, along with other "red hats," gave to RO's who were hosting the 3GN crew was simply this: "Be professional and accommodating. Push the shooters to be efficient with time and move them through at a snappy pace." We knew the cameras were slowing squads down a bit, but every stage caught up in exactly one cycle following their experience with 3GN. We appreciate everything 3GN is doing for the sport and are willing to make a very small sacrifice to accommodate them.

4. ALL: Schedule - Breaks between shooting are purposeful. It has been mentioned before that shooters appreciate time to prepare and see the squad before them attack the stage. This reduces reset, walk through, confusion, etc. Sheldon is a master at stage design and none of this was an accident or "smoke and mirrors." So many wanted stage layouts weeks before the match, but they were being honed up to one week before. Processes and potential stage components are vetted months before at monthly matches. I can't imaging a more "bullet proof" set of stages to accommodate 400+ shooters.

5. Things we can't control/change: Wind, Weather, Non-Compromised Safety, Range Layout, Parking, Etc.

6. Things you can count on: FUN! WWII Division (Obviously), A Theme, An attitude that drives us toward perfection, Innovation (Real-time scores.. Come on?), Accommodation (Welcome to Texas!), VALUE (The only national match that provides food/drinks for a minimum of two meals a day), A Professional Crew, A solid prize table... (You can fill in the rest!)

Cheers,

Kyle

I thought that the wait was all good as it gave plenty of time to get your shit together for the next stage. Man there is nothing worse than not being prepared for the next stage and in 3 gun there is a lot to prepare for. There is always mags to load guns to lube etc... and when you shot with a spouse its x2 sometimes.

There was one group, wearing grey shirts that said "TEAM GILL"; I think they might have actually been a family. I think they were all using the same shotgun - one would come off the stage, the next (usually the hole shooter) would grab the shotgun and an RO, go over to the side berm, fill the tube, and put the gun back in the rack.

Their equipment prep must get intense. And I really want to know what type of shotgun they were using, if they were indeed all using the same gun, that could stand that much shooting in one weekend - and what lube, too!

I was part of Team Gill. We only shared shotguns, a benelli m2 and an m4, between the 4 of us and had zero malfunctions the whole weekend. We hauled a lot of ammo and had a blast shooting it all. My brother did run a single stack .45 in the tactical division. On the plane stage, I think he had at least 8 or 9 reloads and still managed to beat the par time by a few seconds. The match was a ton of fun and ran very efficiently thanks to great ROs.

It was a fantastic event. Always ahead of schedule, and the ROs were fantastic. They were great. Worked their asses off and maintained good humor while doing it. Big thanks to ROs, staff, head staff, and to all the sponsors. Huge credit in having that much steel to keep shooters cycling through. Always room for improvement, but there is nothing that I'd point at and say was a problem from a regular guy standpoint.

We would need a range with 30 bays, and twice the props/targets/stands/steel to do that Jesse. The amount of steel, financially speaking, that we shot at that match is truly mind boggling... Another great reason that we need to thank Mark Larue over and over again for being the patron saint of the TX Multigun. I wish we had it, but we use what we have.

This is THE LARUE TACTICAL TEXAS MULTI GUN!!! You speak like its not possible when anything is possible! :cheers:

Seriously though if anyone can do it this match can. They had more staff more local help and more steel than any other match I have been too. It would be monumental! :cheers:

Dude, Jesse, you should have seen the ass of my 3/4 ton 4x4 dragging about 11 days before the match started because I had a whole friggin pallet of those non-reacting steel targets and a pallet of 4x4s for them in the bed of my truck... That was second in awesomeness to seeing the Larue delivery truck roll up the following day and offload about 50ish new Sniper Targets. Larue donated so much steel to make this match and the dynamic quick resetting stages possible it is mindboggling. If you want to come down here and buy another few hundred acres of land for a range nearby I am sure we could put stages on it.. :)

Team Gill Rocked. Father and 3 sons. One of the sons was shooting single stack (Not WWII). Got lots or mag change practice on the plane stage. :roflol:

Ignore me.. wrong family. Great to see the sport growing like this.. :)

Edited by BigLucky

The Max family was also present. I was ROing so I didn't have time to talk much but I shot with them at RM3G last year. Father, two sons, and daughter. Not sure if their mom shoots with them. They were great to shoot with in NM, hope to see them there again!

Bill

The Max family was also present. I was ROing so I didn't have time to talk much but I shot with them at RM3G last year. Father, two sons, and daughter. Not sure if their mom shoots with them. They were great to shoot with in NM, hope to see them there again!

Bill

I shot with Team Max at this match. Great bunch of folks. Yes, the mom shot too. The 16-year old unfortunately got DQ'd, but we were incredibly impressed with how he handled the situation. He pled his case to the ROs and Sheldon of his own accord. Kudos to Mom and Dad for letting him handle it on his own.