Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TEXAS MULTIGUN 2012

I used to think being recognized was a good thing. Until after the third squad with young people in it cautiously called me "Mr Danger" :huh:

When I finally asked why they thought my name was Danger, I was told that a photo of man that looks exactly like me is used in the preschool classes and call..........Stranger Danger! :goof:

This is a joke and only a joke all the facts have been manipulated for the sake of humor, that some may be slow to grasps

I figured it was because of the picture of you and your blown up rifle. lol

shane

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a fantastic match! Sheldon and his staff did an excellent job! Running that many shooters through 12 stages with the Governor of Texas, the 3 gun mayor and 3 gun nation crew there is a feat in an of itself. Great job!

Everyone please remember the match sponsors, drop them a note of support and be sure to support them with your next purchase. Thanks again

My only concern with the match was the secrecy of the prize table. Shooters who finished in the bottom 90% have no idea what the top prizes were, unless they chat up the top shooters on their way out. They may hear later on, but don't have a true grasp of how many guns and high end gear were on the table, provided by the sponsors. It would be nice to be able to walk the prize table beforehand, not only to eye what you'd like, but also to take in all that the sponsors have done for the match and our sport.

That being said the online up to the minute scoring was awesome! No standing in a crowd trying to check your score posted to a wall. I hope other matches follow their lead with this.

Edited by prreed10

My only concern with the match was the secrecy of the prize table. Shooters who finished in the bottom 90% have no idea what the top prizes were, unless they chat up the top shooters on their way out.

It wouldn't be practical to have 400+ people tromping through the prize tent ahead of time; not to mention the potential problems that those who are less the honest could create. However, Phil Strader handled this at the ProAm (pistol event) in an interesting manner. A pdf of the prizes goes out to the competitors before the match. Each prize bundle has a number correlating with the list. As prizes leave the table, the number is announced so you could tick it off (if it was a prize you were interested in). If you are further down the list, you know what should be left there for you to choose from. And, it speeds up the selection process so everyone gets thru quicker. However, it is more work on the front end.

Jeremy used to be the strongman at a circus, he asked to wear his furry animal skin outfit but it just wouldn't fit the theme. I could never have done this without the support of my wonder wife and children. Thanks again to all those that made the match possible, especially Mark LaRue for all his support. Thanks to all our friends that also helped us make it a success. Of course the most important inspiration for this match is my father, Joseph Hamlin Carruth a WW2 vet. He died in 1976 but I think I got a smile out of him. Yes I am tired but very happy and it was worth it. Take care and we'll see you soon.

No-no, thank you Sheldon. Your friends and the other locals (and a goodly number of us shooters) support you and this match because of the respect we have for you. Running a monthly club not to mention a match this size is no small feat and I for one am grateful for the effort. Besides that, watching your son guarding the stat shack and fending off potential threats with his toy rifle made me grin from ear to ear. So stinkin' adorable!

My only concern with the match was the secrecy of the prize table. Shooters who finished in the bottom 90% have no idea what the top prizes were, unless they chat up the top shooters on their way out.

It wouldn't be practical to have 400+ people tromping through the prize tent ahead of time; not to mention the potential problems that those who are less the honest could create. However, Phil Strader handled this at the ProAm (pistol event) in an interesting manner. A pdf of the prizes goes out to the competitors before the match. Each prize bundle has a number correlating with the list. As prizes leave the table, the number is announced so you could tick it off (if it was a prize you were interested in). If you are further down the list, you know what should be left there for you to choose from. And, it speeds up the selection process so everyone gets thru quicker. However, it is more work on the front end.

The hidden prize table is definitely a pet peeve of mine. The first 3 gun match to use Phil Straders ProAm prize table format will be the king of kings.

I agree. My thoughts are rope it off at arms length and at least let the competitors see what's there. Jeff Cramblit did something similar at the ar15.com pro-am prize table. If I were a sponsor, I'd want everyone to know I put X on the prize table, not just the first group of shooters. It's part of the advertising component of being a sponsor.

Edited by prreed10

The hidden prize table is definitely a pet peeve of mine. The first 3 gun match to use Phil Straders ProAm prize table format will be the king of kings.

This being my first time actually working to set up a prize table I will tell you that it is a daunting task. Many of the prizes didn't arrive until just before the match so using the Strader method would have been pretty impossible. We were literally going through making the proper number of "piles" until about 15 minutes before the first person walked the prize table. That said here is what I can remember off the top of my head.

-Over a dozen Larue OBR certificates (assorted between 5.56 and 7.62) as well as probably 4-5 finished rifles were given out between the divisions.

-There were a few other AR's from DPMS I believe.

-I believe there was one FN pistol on every table.

-Surefire had a couple of suppressors

-There was a lot of high end glass from Horus Vision, Valdada, Nightforce, and Vortex plus a few EoTech HWS.

-Sean Cody donated a few Texas NFA trusts (he is a trust lawyer out of Houston)

-There were a bunch of Larue Stealth Uppers

-Predator Tactical gave some stripped lowers

-XS Sight systems donated some certificates for sights

-Surefire gave a ton of flashlights

-Tactical Tailor and Larue donated a bunch of SBR sized bags.

-Seekins Precision donated a custom AR15

I know that barely scratches the surface but I have slept a few times since Sunday. It took a couple hours to get all 400+ shooters through the prize table, it would have been a bunch more if everyone had been able to look first.

Edited by BigLucky

I agree. My thoughts are rope it off at arms length and at least let the competitors see what's there. Jeff Crambitt did something similar at the ar15.com pro-am prize table. If I were a sponsor, I'd want everyone to know I put X on the prize table, not just the first group of shooters. It's part of the advertising component of being a sponsor.

Winner winner chicken dinner!!! The companies that donate rifles want the guys that (unfortunately) aren't winning them to see them. That's why they send product rather than certificates for product. The sponsor's dream prize table would have beautiful models walking around pointing out the guns while wearing bikins like on The Price Is Right. Wait that my dream prize table!

I forgot to mention how impressed I was with the shear number of RO's and staff that the match had. Everywhere I turned there was a tan T-Shirt and Texas Dilo hat there to help out. Good job recruiting and addaboy to the locals for stepping up and making your hometown match awesome!!!

To amazing crew that dreamed a dream as BIG as Texas...

Thank you for the incredible effort in putting the Larue Texas Multigun on the ground and then moving 400+ shooters though it record time. Thank you to the RO’s that employed control and professionalism while working with a Major handful of us “Type A” personalities, nearly always with a smile. To the stats crew for keeping track of all those score sheets and miraculously having our scores up and on-line in record time! Thank you to all the unseen “worker bees” that had all our logistical needs met without asking or even knowing... things were just “handled”. To all the sponsors that went the extra mile in giving so much so generously. Thank you Mark Larue for not only filling our bellies and filling the prize tables but for giving so much to the host club to fuel future matches! To Sheldon and Marcy for putting up with every email, phone call and dumbass question they fielded in the months leading up to this fantastic event! I had a great time for so many reasons and to all of you who made this our “shooting vacation” a stellar success...THANK YOU!

Patrick

I forgot to mention how impressed I was with the shear number of RO's and staff that the match had. Everywhere I turned there was a tan T-Shirt and Texas Dilo hat there to help out. Good job recruiting and addaboy to the locals for stepping up and making your hometown match awesome!!!

Absolutely! The staff was awesome. I was asked by 2 lovely ladies with iPads if I'd like to have them check my scores for me. The entire scoring process was impressive.

alright, now this one is in the books, let us look to next year. now that i have another op-rod on the M1 i am ready to try the "Korean War" theme. how about it? more fun? yes!

come on Sheldon! Korea! Korea! Korea! M1! M1! M1! (hey Rob, wanna go once more?)

:cheers:

post-5929-0-29526100-1335395941_thumb.jp

alright, now this one is in the books, let us look to next year. now that i have another op-rod on the M1 i am ready to try the "Korean War" theme. how about it? more fun? yes!

come on Sheldon! Korea! Korea! Korea! M1! M1! M1! (hey Rob, wanna go once more?)

Wynn, the pic of you with brass and clip in the air is the best. I loved seeing the guys shooting WWII division. Very cool

Not one of the squads at stage 12 picked up on my tickle about "more Hits called with Vortex Glass than any- other glass on the stage!"

The Tickle was that we had at least two sometimes three Vortex spotters to one Leupold and one Swarowski.

The song and dance :blush: was at the squads request during a range delay. I will Not do it again

Not one of the squads at stage 12 picked up on my tickle about "more Hits called with Vortex Glass than any- other glass on the stage!"

The Tickle was that we had at least two sometimes three Vortex spotters to one Leupold and one Swarowski.

The song and dance :blush: was at the squads request during a range delay. I will Not do it again

I loved how there were four spotters calling hits in unison. I'll bet there were no arguments about whether a hit was not properly called when you have that many spotters. It wasn't in stereo, it was in surround sound.

I loved how there were four spotters calling hits in unison. I'll bet there were no arguments about whether a hit was not properly called when you have that many spotters. It wasn't in stereo, it was in surround sound.

That was awesome!!! Those Vortex spotting scopes helped out a bunch. Kudos to Vortex or whomever made those avaialble.

Only one shooter in three days questioned a Miss, and he was quickly satisfied after a confirmation of a hit count on the freshly painted target.

And One shooter during the RO event when we only had (three) spotters and the shooter did not hear the Hit! and made a few extra shots before we figured out what was happening and directed him to move on.

Zero Procedural penalties for the stage -Zero DQs for the Stage,-Zero complaints about not getting to walk the top of the Deck. Zero times a Match director had to be called to the stage.

edit for Correction the match director was called for a "compensator size question"

And the ladies that offered cash if I would dance and sing never payed up.

Edited by AlamoShooter

That was awesome!!! Those Vortex spotting scopes helped out a bunch. Kudos to Vortex or whomever made those avaialble.

Why Thank-you Mr Tischauser

Its the people that make or break any game, <_< and friends that you can count on.

i don't know the name of the RO on stage 7 who sported a handlebar moustache and chin whiskers, but he was a class act. Sheldon, all your ROs are good, but some were even better than that.

That would be me. Glad you enjoyed it! I had a great time running stage 7.

I remember a prize table question a few pages back. This Big smile had an RO shirt but he was 13th place making his pick of what was left over at the prize table.

Not bad pickings

TexasMultiGun2012011.jpg

That's me smiling and living vicariously in the background.

Congrats on the great finish Doug.

Vietnam theme next year? A1 style ar with 20rd mags, pump 12 with 5+1, and a .45 with 7+1 or 8+1? VC class with AK? dunno what you'd do about the shotgun and handgun, maybe say they were battlefield pick ups and go with the same .45 and 12ga?

Edited by ken hebert