Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Arguing with my old man

alpha-charlie

I hate arguing with my dad. If it's a decision that he doesn't have the same opinion on then it's the wrong way. Both ways are correct but if it's not his way then I'm the jerk and he's the one getting screwed. Now we're doing the stubborn silent treatment. It's so hard to try and talk to someone who only has two emotions: silence and rage. Anyone else got one out there like this???

Yep quit talking to him years ago , left him alone with his hate

Did the same with my mother......there isn't time nor space in my life for someone who can do nothing but inject their bitterness and anger.

I know it'll work out in the end. He hates change and is extremely set in his ways. His intentions are to make things easier for me because he had to struggle so much, but there comes a time to just let go. Its my life and my decisions. I swear to be more open minded with my future kids. This forum really makes ya feel better to let it out. :)

Y'all.will mature at somepoint. You only have one mother and one father. My only child is 20 and i'm happy one of my parents is still around. You will learn to take those moments as what they are . Before ypu know it, you will be on your own wondering where they went. I love my parents, even if they were wrong at times...

I personally would never refer to my Father as my "old man", in my eye's, it's disrespectful. With that being said, I hope you mend the wounds, you only get one set of parents and when the inevitable happens, you will be sorry. Agree to disagree and live life!

"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished by how much he'd learned in seven years."

Mark Twain

I know it'll work out in the end. He hates change and is extremely set in his ways. His intentions are to make things easier for me because he had to struggle so much, but there comes a time to just let go. Its my life and my decisions. I swear to be more open minded with my future kids. This forum really makes ya feel better to let it out. :)

You never let go, and if/when you have kids, the day will come when you do/say something and realize you sound just like your father. And then you hit the day when you understand why he does what he does, says what he says and is the way he is.

If you are getting into arguments with him, sounds like the way you respond to his concerns, comments and behavior, the fruit has not fallen far from the tree.

Edited by vluc

May I suggest some light reading and heading. "How to win friends and Influence People" Dale Carnagie

I'm a Grand Dad a few times over. I grew up in the time when Spare the Rod Spoil the Child, and Children are to be seen and not heard, was common conversation. I never argued with my Father, respect fear or both. But no doubt differences of opinion can occurr but how you handle them can make a great difference in the outcome.

I don't want to get into he said I said,but we all thought our dad's were mean just put here on earth to make all us mad,,

my dad is gone now and boy do I wish I could go to his house,give him a hug,do what ever it takes to make friends,give him your love and respect..

Assuming you are an adult, supporting yourself, living on your own; you should have nothing to argue about. Unless of course you are in business together, in which case my advice would be to strike out on your own and be your own man.

Seriously, unless you ask for his opinion and are mad when he gives it to you, he should not be telling you what to do as an adult. I would take the high road, show him respect, agree to disagree; and tell him if/when he gives advice unsolicited that you want to make your own decisions as he did and ask him to respect that.

If he is a negative person in general then again take the high road and let him know you want a relationship with him but it must be positive, not negative.

I don’t know who is right or wrong in your case, I do know I would be much happier, rich and retired if I had listened to my dad. As a parent, one of the things you hate most is seeing your child make the same mistakes you made and not be able to change the outcome.

Show him respect and take the high road.

David E.

My Father was like that, hard to figure out. Now that I am 66+ I find myself looking back and can understand many of his problems he was dealing with...Its not easy growing old, your mind thinks you can still do thing as you have always done them then your old tired body says no way are you doing what you are thinking about. I miss my DAD...

Yep quit talking to him years ago , left him alone with his hate

Did the same with my mother......there isn't time nor space in my life for someone who can do nothing but inject their bitterness and anger.

As did I...She died earlier this year, I hadn't seen nor spoken to her in 20 years..Till her last breath, she was still angry and bitter...

As to arguing with your Dad, if it's not life threatening, just let him win...It's not worth the pain and anguish, and as long as you know you are right, then you win, and he just doesn't know it...

Raising children is a life long event. "Letting go" is difficult especially when your child looks like they are making a series of bad decisions... but the lessons learned from the School of Hard Knocks last forever. Sometimes you just have to back off and let them make their own mistakes. You still love them, no matter what they do....

HH

Sounds like your dad could be a clone to mine! Mine went so far as to have me falsely arrested just to get back at my mom during their divorce! I was found not guilty, but it cost me my job & alot of time & money. He passed away last Thursday.

No I never had the chance to argue with my dad,

He passed away when I was 15, nearly 35 years ago, still miss him till this day

what ever the issue is, try your best to solve it

My best friend and his dad had a huge falling out, didn't speak to each other for a

Few years, After his dad passed, he had a hard time because he never had the

Chance to make it right with him. Basically their pride got in the way

Try your best not to let it happen to you