Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ever hear of a "cut shell" ?

Bigpops

Did some experimenting with this trick about 10 years ago.

Only downside is if you send the entire shell, plastic and all, down a barrel with a full choke it'll try to compress the whole shebang and can do some damage to the end of the barrel.

Soooo, if you want to play around with it, I would advise, don't do it with a fully choked gun.

I did it the other day with one round and an IC choke - it works. It didn't clear the ejection port in my Benelli M1 though and I had to tip the remaining half out with the bolt locked back. Obviously you can't load your tube with them and expect them to chamber:

a4ad0f67.jpg

I'm not sure how accurate they are since I didn't shoot it more than 20 yards. The only time I'll be using this trick though is if I want slugs and all I have is birdshot and a knife. :lol:

I'm sure 3-gun match directors would not be happy if you used cut shells as slugs though.

Edited by DyNo!

Also....potentially dangerous as well.

Pressure goes up tremendously at the breech.

A 12 gauge shotgun just isn't made to take a 12 gauge "shell" down the barrel.....as funny as that sounds.

Old farmboy trick - the important part was not to cut all the way through the shell, really just score it deep and to cut... Near the end of the wadding? Its been a... well, awhile, but I do remember that you had to cut into along the end of the wadding.

We used to use that trick when duck hunting on open water. We always carried a 12 ga single shot for that reason. We had three ducks light about 150 yards out and we cut a shell and fired it over their heads. "slug" hit the water 20 yards the other side of them. All three got up and flew our direction and we shot all three.

Never happen again in a million years but it made for a great story that time.

Ya in live pigeon shooting when you shoot the bigger rings guys called em bushwhackers you could take a winged bird at 50+ yds no problem.

I was talking to an old trap and skeet guy who I learned the trick from. He was at a live pigeon shoot and an older guy had one get away. It landed on a fencepost about 80 yards away. The old timer pulled another shell and his knife and then said something about that little bastard just cost him a lot of money. He called it 'ringing a shell'

I tried one on a coyote once with very interesting results.

One of my buddies borrowed his roommate's Mossberg 500 for a local 3 gun match. At LAMR, he could not get a shell to chamber. After some investigation, we found the front of a shell casing stuck in the chamber. Apparently the roommate had tried the "cut" shell trick but the front of the shell lodged in the chamber rather than heading downrange.

Looks as though it is better suited for a break-open gun.

Kinda germain to the discussion. A couple of years ago, SASS banned cut shells because of the pressure increase from pushing a 12ga mass down the bore. I was not part of the discussion and only found about the practice after it had been banned. No biggie for me, since I will usually run a heavier shot/load for stubborn steel :sight: