Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Absolute best electronic scale

latech15

I have a cheapo Lyman and it is very finicky. The first few measurements are always off and it eats batteries. I have gotten to the point where I really don't trust it and recent chrono results point to a problem either in the powder throw or in the scale.

I want to upgrade and want some input from the experts here first.

How many of you guys use a powder trickler for load development with pistol loads?

How many of you guys use a powder trickler for load development with pistol loads?

Not me. And I doubt not many others do. This game doesn't require that kind of accuracy.

I do. When I'm making ammo to test, I check the powder charge of each round. If needed, I adjust it. I use a digital scale too and sometimes it's frustrating. I also have the small Dillon bar scale and I take a small .17 pellet and use it as a standard. I let the digital scale warm-up, and go back and forth between the two with the test pellet until I'm convinced it's working correctly. I find the bar scale to be more finicky than the digital scale.

I've thought about upgrading, and this one looks interesting.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/sid=71468/pid=38348/Product/SARTORIUS_SCALE_110V

It may not be the most accurate, but I use an RCBS Chargemaster. I trickle the rifle charges, but not the pistol. It is a nice scale, easy to use, and easy to calibrate (it come with two brass weights). It costs ~ $330.00, but I got mine on sale for something around $299. I am seriously considering one of Brian's new scales, that way I can leave the RCBS on the Forster side of the bench and use the new scale between my progressive presses. Good Luck!

It may not be the most accurate, but I use an RCBS Chargemaster. I trickle the rifle charges, but not the pistol. It is a nice scale, easy to use, and easy to calibrate (it come with two brass weights). It costs ~ $330.00, but I got mine on sale for something around $299. I am seriously considering one of Brian's new scales, that way I can leave the RCBS on the Forster side of the bench and use the new scale between my progressive presses. Good Luck!

I use the above as well, seems to be accurate enough (5 years now), the check weights are a must...

Ps. I bought mine used on E-bay for $105 :cheers:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RCBS-750-Grain-Electronic-Rangemaster-Scale-/130476251951?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e60fd9b2f

Edited by GrumpyOne

Why no love for the Dillon electronic scale?

Funny story... I have a Pact scale that I want to replace eventually because it always wonders off zero. I asked a sales guy at Cabellas which scale I should get to replace the Pact and he said, "The Dillon electronic scale is the only one worth owning and I've tried them all. Too bad we don't Dillon stuff here." I was practically in shock at his answer. With all the shady practices of big box stores like Best Buy I couldn't fathom untainted honesty coming from a sales clerk.

Why no love for the Dillon electronic scale?

Funny story... I have a Pact scale that I want to replace eventually because it always wonders off zero. I asked a sales guy at Cabellas which scale I should get to replace the Pact and he said, "The Dillon electronic scale is the only one worth owning and I've tried them all. Too bad we don't Dillon stuff here." I was practically in shock at his answer. With all the shady practices of big box stores like Best Buy I couldn't fathom untainted honesty coming from a sales clerk.

The Dillon electronic scale was on the shelf at Cabela's the last time I was there.

Interesting. I usually only get to Cabellas once or twice a year on the way to in-laws' house. That store seemed to have every brand or reloading gear (Hornady, Lyman, RCBS, etc.) except Dillon. I wonder when they started stocking the the Blue Kool Aid.

I use the Dillon and am happy with it. It does require a few minutes to warm up but most electronic things do. I simply turn it on while I am getting other stuff ready. Check weights are a good idea with any scale I think. I don't know about the battery as I keep it plugged in. I've had it for a long time, perhaps more than 10 years. It is actually my second one. The first one stopped working at some point and they sent me a new one for free. It was after a move. It did not appear physically damaged but it's not hard to imagine something happened to it in the moving van. I was honest about what had probably happened. They sent a new one anyway. It's hard to complain about that.

I have a cheapo Lyman and it is very finicky. The first few measurements are always off and it eats batteries. I have gotten to the point where I really don't trust it and recent chrono results point to a problem either in the powder throw or in the scale.

I want to upgrade and want some input from the experts here first.

I get single digit ES's with just letting the press do what it's supposed to do. Your never going to trickle a bunch of pistol ammo so why bother doing it at all. The best most reliable scale is a good beam. Dillon makes a great one. I don't know what press you are using but I only test loads loaded with a full shell plate after I have already loaded a couple rounds on the press. That's when it's most consistent. I have found ammo loaded by volume for pistol to be more consistent then my ammo loaded by my attempts at making every load the same.

Another vote for the RCBS 1500 scale. This is my first digital scale, so I dont have anything to compare it to, but the two beam scales I've had. This thing is quick to measure, and so far has been very accurate. I feel it has been one of the upgrades to my loading bench that has not only be worth every penny, but has really sped up the reloading process.

My process after changing the powder throw is this:

1. Turn the knob on the powder bar.

2. Throw then charges and throw them directly back in the powder canister

3. Weigh the 11th one.

4. If it is right move on to the next step. If not, go back to step 1.

5. Throw ten charges and weigh them all together. If the ten charges add up to 10x what I am after, redo step 5.

6. If I get the correct powder throw on step 4 and 5 (both times) then I go ahead with making the bullets.

My issue is not once I get to this point. The issue is that the first 10 measurements I take on the scale are all over the place. They are never right. I can't tell you how many times I have weighted a charge and gone through the steps above and then once I empty the cup on the scale, the scale reads -.7 or -1.0 and I have to calibrate it again and do all those steps again.

I just want one that I can turn on, calibrate, and take an accurate measurement.

Either you are loading with a draft, making some sort of horrible error (not having balance leveled properly or having it move while handling), or you have a bad balance that should be shipped back for repair.

If you don't want a Sartorius, you can look into "My-weigh Gempro500" jewelry scale

Electronic Scale Features:

3 Calibration Modes (Pre-Calibration, Sensitivity Calibration, Linear Calibration)

Retractable Wind Shield Cover

Leveling System

6 Weighing Modes

ASTM Class F2 Calibration Weight (included)

Runs on 4 AAA Batteries or AC Adapter (included)

Stainless Steel Weighing Tray and Expansion Scoop/Bowl (included)

Full Tare Capabilities

Programmable Auto Off

(1-9 Minutes)

Bright Backlight

Adjustable Dual Division

Gem Scale Protective Case (included)

Full Lifetime/30 Year International Warranty

$152.90 + $9.95 S/H at http://balance.balances.com/

Edited by noylj

Well, I have the dillon electronic scale and very happy with it, it passed the drop test, let me explain, last year when I did a reloading session and when done I was cleaning up and putting stuff away, I have the scale on a stand beside the loading table, well I unplugged the scale and picked it up to put away and the cord get caught on the cornor of the stand and pulled it out of my hands, the scale was chest high to me and fell to the floor, it fell apart, oh boy, was I cussing up a storm for being so careless, picked it up off the floor and put it back together thinking here comes a new scale, well, I was quite surprised, it still worked and talk about a happy man, I did buy another electronic scale, dillon of course, just did this in case it happens again, which I hope it doesn't, but things happen. So when I put it away I called dillon up and told them that their scale passed the drop test to a concrete floor, the man I talked to said maybe I should go buy a lotto ticket, LOL

Dillon all the way

All for now JD Trampas

Well, I have the dillon electronic scale and very happy with it, it passed the drop test, let me explain, last year when I did a reloading session and when done I was cleaning up and putting stuff away, I have the scale on a stand beside the loading table, well I unplugged the scale and picked it up to put away and the cord get caught on the cornor of the stand and pulled it out of my hands, the scale was chest high to me and fell to the floor, it fell apart, oh boy, was I cussing up a storm for being so careless, picked it up off the floor and put it back together thinking here comes a new scale, well, I was quite surprised, it still worked and talk about a happy man, I did buy another electronic scale, dillon of course, just did this in case it happens again, which I hope it doesn't, but things happen. So when I put it away I called dillon up and told them that their scale passed the drop test to a concrete floor, the man I talked to said maybe I should go buy a lotto ticket, LOL

Dillon all the way

All for now JD Trampas

1. Have you checked the scale with a set of good check weights? Just because it "works" doesn't mean it works. Know what I mean?

2. I'm pretty sure Dillon doesn't actually manufacture the scale. Just like RCBS doesn't manufacture theirs.