Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Hornady Area 3 Championship

31 total DQ's in the match........ Thats 11% of all the shooters that attended the match. What happened to cause this many DQ's? This is over twice as many DQ's as any other Area match this year :ph34r:

I thought the same thing Charlie....weird. I was supposed to be there, but had a family pet die the day I was supposed to leave. Maybe he just saved me from driving 12 hours to DQ.......

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you see that many DQs, you always wonder if (1) the stages were designed poorly, or (2) the RO staff was inexperienced or overly aggressive.

Neither of those was the case at Area 3. I've shot a lot of big matches, and I know both of those when I seen them. There was nothing out of line with the stages, and they had a very solid and experienced crew working the match.

Edited by Carmoney

31 total DQ's in the match........ Thats 11% of all the shooters that attended the match. What happened to cause this many DQ's? This is over twice as many DQ's as any other Area match this year :ph34r:

If I didn't see it with my own eyes, I would not have believed it but, there were a significant amount of AD's. 2 on our squad from experienced shooters.

I was not on Matt's squad. My squad lost two shooters due to AD's and one to a dropped gun. One AD'd on the draw the other on a magazine change. The dropped gun was during the If Clear, hammer down, holster. Missed the holoster and the range clear command had not been given.

Saw another DQ on the squad in front of me. Shooter messed up the technical part of the stage so was going to make up for it by running and firing a like a mad man at three open targets down the left side of stage 3. Over ran the third target and did about a 270 turn and shot.

If I didn't see it with my own eyes, I would not have believed it but, there were a significant amount of AD's. 2 on our squad from experienced shooters.

I was not on Matt's squad. My squad lost two shooters due to AD's and one to a dropped gun. One AD'd on the draw the other on a magazine change. The dropped gun was during the If Clear, hammer down, holster. Missed the holoster and the range clear command had not been given.

Saw another DQ on the squad in front of me. Shooter messed up the technical part of the stage so was going to make up for it by running and firing a like a mad man at three open targets down the left side of stage 3. Over ran the third target and did about a 270 turn and shot.

The match as a whole was fairly technical. There was only one stage that I did not care for, was more of a test of crawling in the dirt than any thing else. The stages did not leave much room for someone to push the speed with out running into problems. There were many stages with wide open targets that invited the run and gun, but it was all to easy for some to push beyond their skill level that day. All in all a great match and the staff from top down was great.

Scott

Sounds like my run on that one, minus the DQ. I got some penalties though....

Fun match, pretty technical, those DQ folks just needed to throttle it back some. I had a great time, my compliments to possibly the most professional and personable group of RO's out there. Still trying to figure out what a "Daaaasscchh" is. :roflol:

Thanks to all of the RO's and support staff, Bill Starkey and his team of workers at the Heartland Public Shooting Park and all of the sponsors! But most of all Thanks and kudos to Sherwyn!

Edited by PNielsen

Sounds like my run on that one, minus the DQ. I got some penalties though....

Fun match, pretty technical, those DQ folks just needed to throttle it back some. I had a great time, my compliments to possibly the most professional and personable group of RO's out there. Still trying to figure out what a "Daaaasscchh" is. :roflol:

Classic!

Big thanks to all the RO's & everyone who put this together & made it work.

I appreciate the pictures too. Some of the action shots are great & capture the spirit of the match.

Pete is our official area 3 photographer and does an awesome job. He spends a lot of his time at capturing these moments and only looked down 2 barrels at this match. Give Pete a big thanks because he spent too many sleepless hours and nights working on this for everyone. There are many people in the background and Pete is a big part of it.

I blame Matt Pitel for all the DQs.

Ben;

If you do,I do too.

Well, the love is running deep in this thread! :)

Ben, Major awesome congrats on the overall victory of a tough match with deep competition.

Eddy, we miss you up here man. I hope life is going well for you in gods country.

You missed a good one. Sherwyn put together quite a show.

As one of the 31, I can tell you it had NOTHING to do with the stages or RO's. I was pushing to hard and had an AD. Fortunately, it went into the burm. It was my first DQ in my 20 months of playing this game. I earned it and it was mine.

As a reminder, I took this picture before we left Grand Island. :)

MeatDQ.jpg

Let it be known to all who read that Mitch is the total class act.

He knew what he did and he owned his mistake and took it like the man he is.

I am proud to say that he was my squad mate and that I got to make a new friend.

You're and awesome competitor and a stand up guy.

You have my total respect.

I would really like to squad again with you.

Let it be known to all who read that Mitch is the total class act.

He knew what he did and he owned his mistake and took it like the man he is.

I am proud to say that he was my squad mate and that I got to make a new friend.

You're and awesome competitor and a stand up guy.

You have my total respect.

I would really like to squad again with you.

Thanks Matt. You are a great representative of Area 3 as well as our sport. It was great to meet all the guys and one gal on squad 28 and I truly look forward to seeing you guys again.

ETA: Thanks to all the people that worked so hard to put this match on for us. It was, without a doubt, the most technical and challenging match I have ever shot. I look forward to shooting it again next year!!

Edited by Mitch Harrington

As one of the 31, I can tell you it had NOTHING to do with the stages or RO's. I was pushing to hard and had an AD. Fortunately, it went into the burm. It was my first DQ in my 20 months of playing this game. I earned it and it was mine.

As a reminder, I took this picture before we left Grand Island. :)

MeatDQ.jpg

That's funny right there!

And for the record, Mitch drove from A3 to Oklahoma City and shot AND WON a local club match yesterday evening, beating a very good M class shooter in the process! That's hard core brother! :bow::cheers:

Man that was a fun match! I already cant wait for next year. thanks to all the RO's and everyone else who had to start early and stick around all day to help,but actually didnt HAVE to! it means alot no doubt. I had an awesome first experience at Area 3!

Man that was a fun match! I already cant wait for next year. thanks to all the RO's and everyone else who had to start early and stick around all day to help,but actually didnt HAVE to! it means alot no doubt. I had an awesome first experience at Area 3!

Luke,

I was impressed with how much your shooting had improved, keep it up! :cheers:

That was my first Level 3 match that I worked as an RO and my feet are still sore.... would I do it again :blink: You bet your ass I would! :cheers:

I think there were a significant number of 180's too. I know stage 3 was fairly easy to get a 180 DQ on.

I know I may have sucked in my finish. (64th in open, due to several jams with my gun), but at least I didn't DQ in my first level 3 match. Then again, there are two types of shooters, those who have DQ'd and those who will.

Edited by Parallax3D

I think there were a significant number of 180's too. I know stage 3 was fairly easy to get a 180 DQ on.

I know I may have sucked in my finish. (64th in open, due to several jams with my gun), but at least I didn't DQ in my first level 3 match. Then again, there are two types of shooters, those who have DQ'd and those who will.

There were much fewer 180 violations versus AD's or dropped guns. The AD's definitely dominated the DQ list. :angry2:

We are adding video's to the USPSA 3 web site and would like to include yours.

If you have a video of yourself by stage (not a compilation) then please PM me the link with stage number (youtube or something like that) and we will add it to the site.

thanks for your help.

Area 3 was a fun match. Squad 29 was awesome. Thanks to everyone that helped put the match together and thanks to the sponsors for providing a great prize table!

Darren

Squad 29:

Area32011052.jpg

Area32011162.jpg

Area32011042-1.jpg

Photos courtesy of J. Griffin

Edited by ExtremeShot