Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to build a 2011 ?

JayJayJay

:wacko: I am looking to build a 2011 myself and I have no clue what the heck to buy. The following is the only 2 parts I have ordered: STI 2011 Standard Frame Kit: $376.00// STI 5" Slide $177.00

What is the difference of a standard STI frame and the wide frame?

Now all I have is a slide and a frame, so now what do I buy?

:wacko:

I just found this on the web. Are these the parts I need to build a 1911 / 2011 ?

1 Rear Sight (Bo-Mar‘ shown)

2 Slide

3 Sear

4 Hammer

5 Hammer Strut

6 Strut Pin

7 Beaver Tail

8 Disconnector

9 Slide Stop Plunger Tube Pin

10 Plunger Tube Spring

11 Safety Plunger Tube Pin

12 Plunger Tube Assembly

13 Hammer Pin

14 Sear Pin

15 Mainspring Cap Pin

16 Mainspring Housing Pin

17 Mainspring Housing

18 Mainspring Cap

19 Mainspring

20 Mainspring Housing Pin Retainer

21 Frame Unit (with Trigger, Trigger Guard & Mag Release)

22 Front Sight (‘Dove Tail’)

23 Barrel

24 Barrel Link & Link Pin

25 Recoil Spring

26 Guide Rod Spring Cap

27 Guide Rod

28 Safety, Right Side

29 Safety, Left Side

30 Slide Stop

31 Leaf Spring

Edited by JayJayJay

You should of gotten a STI short block kit,it comes with the slide,frame and barrel fitted together by STI. You might want to seek help or send your parts to a gunsmith to fit all the parts. Every part for a 1911/2011 has to be fitted.

i just built an open gun. i had a smith do the machine work then i fitted everything by hand. if you do it yourself it will take a long time to complete unless you have the equipment and tools. it will be cheaper to have a smith build it than it would be to buy the tools and extra parts that you will destroy.

No disrespect meant but the answers to every question you have posed on the forum are easily found by doing a couple of searches. In other threads members have even done the search for you.

If you would take the time to read and educate yourself a little in the beginner forums and the Technical FAQs you would be able to ask more pointed questions that didn't require reposting the entire knowledge of the forum in each thread.

Edited by smokshwn

The following is the only 2 parts I have ordered: STI 2011 Standard Frame Kit: $376.00// STI 5" Slide $177.00

What is the difference of a standard STI frame and the wide frame?

You really should have known the answer to that before you made the purchase. If you are actually thinking about doing this yourself you might want to rethink that a little.

Sigh PM me...

This is going to be a looooong conversation lol.

First off don't even think you're going to be shooting this thing soon. Work like this takes time. Second if this is your first 1911 (not first build, first 1911 at all) you better go out and get a cheap used RIA/AC/Citadel or something that you can practice working on and not be too heartbroken if you damage it.

Get about 2 hours free for the phone call your going to have to make to me so we can discuss all the basics of 1911's

Questions that need answers...

1. What state are you in? If it's Michigan you might just be in luck depending on how many miles away from me you are. If your driving distance from me or a club match I attend in the next month or so we can meet up and get into detail on this.

2. What's your budget? Your gonna need deep pockets to scratch build this thing if you want it to really scream (which btw is the only reason to scratch build besides the pure joy of doing the work)

3. What caliber slide did you buy?

4. Is the frame you bought a ramped or non ramped frame?

5. Are there serrations or sight cuts in the slide?

Your parts list is kinda right...

It's missing the following or at least not detailed enough on them.

Mag catch screw

Mag catch screw spring

Grip screw bushing(x4)

Grip screw(x4)

Grip panels

Mag well(optional)

Magazines

Extractor

Ejector

Firing pin

Firing pin return spring

firing pin stop

by leaf spring I assume they mean sear spring

Barrel bushing(unless it's a bull barrel)

Also we are talking a lot of tools you likely do not have to build this. Again if your in MI your in luck because I have a full set and I like to share.

Honest opinion you probably are biting off more than you can chew but you asked a question so I will try to answer it as best I can.

I'd love to build my own guns someday. The reality is that I/you could probably get one put together and maybe even get it to fire, but it would never be the gun that the pros build. I have a Benny Hill 6' 40, and I swear that thing is the smoothest gun I have ever felt. The slide to frame fit is amazing and the trigger job just keeps getting better.

Everybody has to start somewhere, but as it has been said, if you don't know what parts go in one, how could you expect to build it? Buy an STI spartan. Shoot it until you wear it out. By that time you will understand the parts of a 1911 and how they work. You will also have a better understanding of what you want in a custom gun. Then have a respected smith close to you, build it. I stress, close to you. They need to know that you will be walking in the door regularly to check their progress.

Go for it. The first 1911 I owned was one I built. I got some good advice, buy Kuhnhasens 1911 shop manual. Will tell you everything you need to know. You will learn a hole lot by building your own and getting it to shoot. You may not buy another but you'll never be standing around helpless if your gun quits at a big match.

Every project starts with the first step. I don't know your background you could be an engineer or machinist. If so you can probably figure it out but you will need to have a blue print of what you need and the tolerances and the machinery. Before I start a new project. I read everything I can on the subject. I buy DVDs on the subject and ask a lot of questions. Never go blind into a project. It will cost you a lot of money and you will be disgusted in the end. I admire your enthusiasm to make your own 1911. Take the advise of the other post as food for thought. As for me I would rather buy one that has already been made an assembled by a professional. The professional Gun Smith has spent 1000's of hours learning his trade. It's hard to compete with that. Good luck on your project. Gary

shooting is a game, (excluding carry/duty guns ) for most of us the gun we use for the game is just basically an expensive toy. I am sure I could hire a Ford Engineer and a sculpture to make a really great Mustang model, then hire an artist to paint it for me, But millions of people go buy the model kit and build one themselves.

I get as much joy in building as I do shooting, I like the satisfaction of a gun I put together running 100% at a match, It doesn't ever happen the first time, and my guns arnt works of art but they are mine,

So it comes down to your goals, many of the "just pay a pro" answers are from guys assuming you just want a good reliable gun to shoot matches, you (the OP) havent really stated what your goals are.

You wont save money building your own, it wont work the first and probably second third fourth.....etc time, you'll spend money on tools you probably wont use again, you'll ruin some parts, you'll buy some wrong parts, but you will learn alot, and gain some personal satisfaction once you get it up and running.

Go for it Jay. I once build my own from scratch and is very satisfying as Joe4d said. I like to build what I would use. Heck, even mag pouches and holster, scope mount, thumb rest compensator, base pads I'm building my own and its working for what is intended to.

• 7 months later...

Topmaul. You're gonna build a 2011 to go with your S12? What rifle you running these days? I was using Saiga x39, then saiga 5.45, now I'm on an AR.

~SN13

AKA - Saiganoobie (S-12 Forums)