Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheaper to reload or ont?

JayJayJay

Another option is to get a shooting/reloading partner. Not only can you split the costs of the gear, but you can also buy larger amounts of components (lowering costs by buying bulk.) My buddy and I have a lab setup in his garage with 5 reloaders, 3 tumblers, conversion kits and dies for about 35 calibers, and STACKS of components. Plus, it's great to spend time with friends reloading and shooting the bull.

Mac

Edited by McAllyn

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other big advantage of reloading that many people don't mention is that you don't have to go around tracking down and buying factory ammo. I like that when I need ammo, I just go make it. During the great ammo shortage of 2008-2010, once I found a place with primers in stock and ordered a few cases, I was set for 2 years.

• 6 months later...

The one good thing that i like about reloading is,that you can adjust your charges ect,and quiet often it makes a difference in the groupings when shot.

Pencil it out.

You know best your round count, value of your time, and cost of local factory ammo vs. reloads. There are alot of factors that are based on what you can get, local price, etc.

I only shoot once a month at a local match. I guess I am only using about 2,000 rounds a year. I guess I will just buy ammo from this point or untill I start shhoting more. Thanks guys!

I was going to reply to some of the other folks that suggested reloading is only worth it in large quantities, but since they seem to have discouraged you, I'll reply to you instead:

IMHO, at 2,000 rounds/year, you should DEFINITELY reload. There's no need for a $600 investment if you just want to get your feet wet, have some fun, and learn and shoot more. I spent less than $200 for my starter set of reloading equipment, and figured that by the time I went through my order of 2,000 bullets, I would have saved enough to pay for the equipment.

I started with an inexpensive single-stage press kit from LEE (under $100), and added a vibratory case-cleaner and a Lee die set. Yes, it's slower than progressive setup, but it's also many hundreds cheaper, and imho slower is not a bad thing when you're just getting started. Also the time you spend loading on a single-stage press will allow you to figure out exactly what is important to you in a progressive press when you get one.

Keep in mind, it's not JUST the 50% savings over the very cheapest .40 ammo you can find, but if you're competing, you can also tune the rounds for minimum recoil while still meeting power factor, and many powders (n320 for example) burn alot cleaner than the cheapest factory stuff.

With my $200 reloading kit investment, I can load 100-150 rounds/hour. I typically decap/resize/prime in bulk (this time is included in the estimate), and then charge, seat and crimp lots of 50 at a time (takes about 12 mins for each 50 for this part). The single-stage press is small, so I can leave it set up all the time, and it's attached to my folding workbench, so I can move it downstairs and work while football is on. I wouldn't reload on progressive press while being distracted, but with a single-stage there's less to go wrong. just make sure you check each lot of 50 visually for equal charges of powder (double charges or empty cases should be exceedingly obvious) before you move on to seating.

So if I've got a match coming up, and I have a few hundred primed and sized casings already standing by, it only takes 30-40 mins to crank out ammo for the match, or i can just spend 12 mins before bed a few night a week and stay on top of it. I find those times to be relaxing, and it's when I think about shooting technique or other shooting-related stuff.

Now for sure, I'm going to get a dillon progressive press in the next 6-12 months, but half of my initial investment can still be used on my new press, and the single-stage press itself will still be useful for working up loads in small batches, or bulk sizing/decapping/priming while watching tv, or as an emergency backup, or as something I can load up and take to the range with me while developing a load, etc... Also, I now have a pretty good idea of what I want/need in a progressive press, since I have my own experience to consider.

Admittedly, my way is not the best way, or the only way, but it has been an effective way for me. YMMV, esp if you have kids, a wife that won't allow you to keep the press set up, or various other safety issues to work with. The point is simply that you can get started and see if reloading is something you enjoy for a lot less than $600-800.

The Lee Classic Turret Deluxe kit from Cabelas is a great bang for the buck.

Lee Classic Turret Kit

$200 for everything that you need minus case prep. Tumbler, digital scale. dies.

I had 0 problems with mine after setup and reloaded about 10k on it. Averaged 150 to 200 an hour depending on number of stations I used.

Sold it and bought a Lock n Load, then went back and bought it again for rifle calibers.

While lee makes alot of junk products, they do make some really good stuff, the Classic Turret press is one of them.

Several years ago my FIL and I decided we wanted to start shooting together. We had both shot on and off for years but nothing serious. At first we would go to the range and shoot our box and go home. It didn't take long before I started looking into reloading. I bought my first SDB press and loaded over 10,000 rounds on it the first year. I would have never expected it. We got to shooting 300 to 500 rounds a weekend almost every weekend. It started to add up and I paid for the press the first year. Now I have a second SDB dedicated to 9mm and the first to .45 ACP. I have paid for both and we shoot a lot more and really enjoy it. We split all the costs on a 50/50 basis so it doesn't break either of us. I've never regretted geting the setups and ammo is never a problem. My advice would be "go for it" and enjoy shooting more.

Saving Money Re-loading!

I don't know how to answer that.

Re-loading can become addictive also! Kinda like a hobby on a hobby. LOL

You buy a loaded, then another loader, then a Chrono, then testing equipment, then sell some and buy better, it never stops.

Using good supplies maybe save 50%, BUT it takes a long time to pay for a $1,000 loading press.

Have FUN be SAFE,

Perry

Above opinion based on over 50 years re-loading Shotgun, Rifle, and Pistol Ammo.

Beside the benefit of making your own rounds to make the gun run better I want to know how much are you guys saving by reloading? I am new at this and have no idea how much a reloading machine will cost me and the initial set up. If a box of 50 .40 cal costs me 15 bucks how much will it cost me to reload my own.

If you are just beginning to reload I recommend spending some time with guys at your area range, as for me I have found buying bulk ammo is the way to go for now until I find a place to set up my reloading stuff. I am paying 13.49 a box plus free shipping on every case.

9mm is still relatively inexpensive, so I question how much I'd save. But then again, if I was reloading, I'd be shooting more 40 and 45.

cheapest 9mm i can buy at the store here: $10.49 /50

lighter recoil cleaner 9mm that i can load myself: $6.00 / 50

Not a huge amount, and I don't mind practicing with factory 9mm ammo, esp if i can find it on sale, but for any competitive shooting, I think it's worth it to reload for the reduced recoil.

I post this every time someone asks this but...

Reloading equipment costs more every year and the used market for good reloading equipment is pretty strong.

You will save a little money reloading, and the sooner you buy reloading equipment the cheaper it will be.

If you are like the rest of us you will shoot more and more every year and eventually you will have to reload to afford the practice you want. So just buy the stuff now and get it over with. It's the cheapest it's gonna be. If you get sick of the sport sell your equipment. By then you can probably sell it for what you paid.

Anyone got any dillon catalogs from 10-20 years ago and we can see how much stuff was?

+2 on what Motosapiens said about beginners going slow in reloading is a good thing.

Avoided a probable catastrophe when I noticed the supposed automatic powder measure had suddenly started throwing out MUCH larger charges than I had sent it for.

A screw had come loose but my point is that if, at that stage in my loading experience, I had been using a progressive press and an identical situation had occurred I probably would not have noticed it until it started throwing powder charges WAAAY too big.

Then I would have faced having to pull many more bullets and consumed a LOT more time than pulling the 30 or so that I had to pull.

I was using a turret press and when I set up the auto powder charge I stopped measuring every charge and started letting 10 go then checking...then 20 go, then 30 when it was "Holy shite!"

IMHO You should get a low speed press(single stage or turret press) and go slow and be careful and then after loading a bunch of ammo for a year or so then get a Dillon press.

Good luck,

JK

• 4 weeks later...

I took the plunge into reloading about 18 months ago. I shot USPSA for 1 season. The press and all materials paid for themselves.

I had to buy it all:

2 reloading books (Lee and Hornady)

Hornady Lock n Load 5 stage press

9mm Hornady die set

9mm taper crimp die

9mm powder through die (I didn't use it)

40 S&W Hornady die set

40 S&W taper crimp die

40 S&W powder through die (I didn't use it)

Powder cop visual inspection die (I didn't use it)

Extra case activated powder drop & power measure for simplicity in swapping die set ups

Extra LNL bushings for second set of dies

Hard Wood work bench from Harbor Freight

Dillon beam scale (recomended)

Hornady digital scale (not recomended)

Dillon bullet puller

Electronic and standard calipers (both work well)

Hornady Brass tumbler

Brass polish and corn cob media for brass tumbler

Hornady one-shot case lube

Hornady dry lube and degreaser

5-gallon bucket for primer removal and bad brass

Chronograph

I spent right around 1100 for everything.

I went down to local ranges and picked up some brass from friendly neighbors that didn't want it, and I picked up 500 rounds of both 9mm and 40 S&W brass that was fired and already polished by the range. This also gave me two buckets with which I use for sorting.

I use only components I can get locally to minimize cost and avoid shipping issues. Being a member at a local range also affords me discounts on components. I pay for the membership annually anyway because as a result, i get to shoot for free at the range and participate in all the monthly member only events... the discounts are really just a bonus!

Used brass is $15.00 / 500 and most of this you will accumulate and reuse after a while.

I buy powder in large containers... 8 lb I believe, which will get you a rediculous amount of rounds. You have to do the math, but you will get over 10,000 rounds out of that much powder if memory serves and I pay a bit over $100 for Titegroup in that container (I would have to go look at container for actual size, see if it still had cost sticker and perform math to calculate actual round count... buy you get the idea).

I'm buying CCI or Winchester Small Pistol Primers for $20-23 / 1000 rounds

Montana gold bullets are sold on the shelf at by the 500 count boxes, but at the case price in the local store... so, that's quite convenient.

Finally, in my opinion, though I have saved money per box of ammo, and quite significantly for what 50 rounds of factory costs me, I find that reloading really allows me to shoot more. I would spend the same amount of money for shooting whether I was buying factory ammo or reloading. However, reloading is what allows me to shoot as much as I do. If I was only buying factory ammo, I would not get to shoot nearly as many events in a season.

I am reloading for around 1/3rd or less the cost of equivilent factory ammo. Moreover, I am able to tune my rounds to my gun. If you swap out your springs, guide rods, etc, then you want to chrono your load again. Make sure its doing what you think it is. Fine tuning your round to eliminate the free bore space, getting a few points over into major power factor and adjusting the powder type to get a burn fast or slow feel plus the accuracy improvement from different bullet types is all interesting, and can assist you in competition should you want to take it that far.

I personally see reloading as a completely seperate hobby of the shooting sports and it compliments my shooting just as dry fire practice does.

Good luck,

I may get set on fire for saying this but my initial investment was around $200 including 500 rainier 155gr for .40. I lived on ebay and bought a Lee handpress. I know that within a year or so I will have to input more money because I have developed an obsession. I bought one manual and spend a couple hours a day on this forum. It is amazing how the search feature has answered almost all of my stupid questions. Buy small to see if it is for you. You will either find it tedious and quit or you will realize it is the greatest hobby of all time. If you go super cheap you will save money on your first 500 rounds and learn a ton very quickly.

I would cringe paying factory prices for ammo. I know for me I just wouldn't shoot as much as it would psychologically "hurt" more.

I will say this, buy once, cry once. Don't cheap out on your equipment.

Buy the best you can afford, as it really does make a difference. I enjoy reloading much more moving from another well thought of progressive press to a Dillon. When that thing is running well it's a joy ot load on. I've had a few startup issues, but nothing compared to what I was used to dealing during a loading session using my other press.

• 2 weeks later...

Re-loading can become addictive also! Kinda like a hobby on a hobby. LOL

+1 to that! Pulling the blue handle in the man cave is a great get-away sometimes!

I started reloading rifle rounds to save money and get better accuracy. Really made a difference for .308 - 50 cents a round vs $1.00 or more per & 1/2 MOA if I am having a good day.

I recently (last 6 weeks) started reloading handgun rounds - 9mm and 38 special. Probably will purchase another 38/357 die set from Brian instead of fiddling with the 38 special set up.

I also started purchasing bullets in bulk, several thousand at a time, since, as someone else here said, prices are not going to go down. Just packed the extras in a fat 50 ammo can with a dessicant pack. Same thing for powder & primers since we pay a PREMIUM here in Hawaii as we cannot purchase powder (or primers) online and have it shipped here.