Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who are the high end rifle choices?

Robert King

I know JP makes a really nice product. Who else makes high end AR's at reasonable prices, say $3,000 range? Geared to 3-Gun, light and tack driver. I know Larue is nice, but they are heavy and I don't really like quad rails for a competition gun. It would also be nice if they have a web site that actually lists prices and builds.

JP and Firebird are at the top of the heap. There are certainly others in the mix like Loki that look like they have the potential to be there as well.

There are also a bunch of very good custom builders, some of whom have a signature rifle as well.

I looked at Firebird and it looked like they were a custom gun only shop. Gave me the feeling that equalled big $$$ and long waits. Maybe once they start to offer some off the shelf rifles they will fit my needs better. Anyone know what a basic Firebird AR build costs and how long it takes?

JP is the top dig for 3 gun rifles but you get what they build not a true custom build. With that said most custom 3 gun rufles are going to have a bunch of JP parts in them anyways.

There really isn't a custom 3 gun rifle builder out there WITH a great website. Firebird builds nice 3 gun rifles and some really cool parts for your AR15 that are geared towards 3 gun but their website sucked last time I checked. I hear they are working on fixing that part if the equation.

LOKI is building some factory entry level rifles but nothing off the shelf for 3 gun specifically yet. They will build whatever you want but their website isn't all inclusive yet either.

Triangle Shooting sports will build a custom rifle but I'm not sure if it will be to your specs or theirs. Website? I am pretty sure it was the first ever gun website by the looks of it.

There is definately a void in the custom 3 gun rifle marketing. I might have to start assembling rifles:)

I looked at Firebird and it looked like they were a custom gun only shop. Gave me the feeling that equalled big $$$ and long waits. Maybe once they start to offer some off the shelf rifles they will fit my needs better. Anyone know what a basic Firebird AR build costs and how long it takes?

Give Jim a call, seriously. Tell him what you want and not only will you get a great education, you will feel confident in your choices. $1500 to ???. Had mine built from order to my hands in a few weeks.

if your Budget is $3,000 I'm pretty sure Jim from Firebird can make you a hell of a rifle. Actually any High end Custom AR maker could make you a hell of a boomstick for that.

Edited by DocMedic

JP is the top dig for 3 gun rifles but you get what they build not a true custom build. With that said most custom 3 gun rufles are going to have a bunch of JP parts in them anyways.

Not true. they will build you whatever you want, or sell you a "standard" model which is pretty much a custom build anyway. (I hesitate to say "off the shelf" because they can usually find the exact components you want, but you may not get some of the fancy colors...)

JP would be my only choice!!!

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

I think it all depends on what you want. Figure around $1500-$2000 for a really nice rifle and about 3-4 weeks. Sometimes faster. I think the reason they don't have an "off the shelf" rifle is because they are in the business of making what people want. Why buy a gun and then change half the stuff on it? just get it the way you want. Call Jim, tell him roughly what you are looking for, he will make suggestions if you don't know exactly what you want.

Not true. they will build you whatever you want, or sell you a "standard" model which is pretty much a custom build anyway. (I hesitate to say "off the shelf" because they can usually find the exact components you want, but you may not get some of the fancy colors...)

jj

JP has build sheets for a reason. For a CTRO2 or a JP15 a customer can spec, gas system length, barrel length, barrel profile, heatsink, gas block, compensator, handguard length, operating system weight, trigger pull, multiple of finish, caliber, grips, buttstocks, sights and multiple accessories. Depending on your definition that is either a custom build or one seriously custom off the shelf gun.

Yes JP components are top shelf but in the last few years there are a multitude of manufacturers offering very high quality components. My current Firebird gun does not have a single JP component and I would call myself a certified JP fanatic.

I will echo the give Jim @ Firebird a call. I am pretty certain you could spec out a full house build with enough go fast goodies to keep anyone smiling and still come in well under $3000. My last build was to me in a couple of weeks. That may vary based on your choice of components and their availability.

Other than JP, Firebird is developing a heck of a reputation for giving you a lot for your money. Loki looks promising as well but they seem newer than Firebird. Also Firebird is very active on this board and seems to want to maintain contact with 3-gun shooters.

jj

So JP will order me a PRI gas block and handguard, a Noveske upper, and a Jard trigger and put it all in my JP lower?

Edited by jtischauser

We've actually been thinking about doing this to augment our precision rifle builds, but just weren't sure how much of a market there was. We'll likely be testing some new AR products out this year so we'll just have to see how it goes.

Just thought of something....I believe GA Precision will also make custom AR's.

Edited by R-Bros_JLR

It is really hard to get most shooters to specify exactly what they want. Folks seem to want to fat-finger a $2,500 rifle and bitch about this part or that instead of telling the builder exactly what they want up front...for a $2,500 build :)

Much easier to spec out exactly what you want, regardless of source.

The 3-Gun market is pretty small. I'm not sure about Jim or JP, but I know a little shop that builds 300-350 rifles a year, and only two or three of those are "real" competition guns despite the owners being rather active Master-rated USPSA guys who live for 3-Gun. Most of their builds are $600 "is that as cheap as you can go?" 16" M4 types with tuned (but basic) parts, despite being able to build a custom-contoured fluted PVD-coated Noveske barrel billet set under a Z6i with a comp that works :D

Alex

It is really hard to get most shooters to specify exactly what they want. Folks seem to want to fat-finger a $2,500 rifle and bitch about this part or that instead of telling the builder exactly what they want up front...for a $2,500 build :)

Much easier to spec out exactly what you want, regardless of source.

The 3-Gun market is pretty small. I'm not sure about Jim or JP, but I know a little shop that builds 300-350 rifles a year, and only two or three of those are "real" competition guns despite the owners being rather active Master-rated USPSA guys who live for 3-Gun. Most of their builds are $600 "is that as cheap as you can go?" 16" M4 types with tuned (but basic) parts, despite being able to build a custom-contoured fluted PVD-coated Noveske barrel billet set under a Z6i with a comp that works :D

Alex

Well said. The market in general is definately more geared towards the ATAS budget crowd. What Jim at Firebird does is pretty sweet actually. He was very helpful in building my first upper. I learned more ordering/building that 1st upper than I did in 3 months reading posts on forums. He just needs to get a good website up. The web thing is really lacking for a lot of good forearms companies/people. I think it would be awesome to have a custom build site with pics and specs of the builds. It would be huge for our sport anyways. Maybe not so huge for making wads of $ though.

have you looked at the web site recently?

only big thing missing is a shopping cart

that and a complete list of products we sell is coming shortly

Jim

Holy Snickies Jim, that site looks great!!! Add some more pics of your custom builds and I won't have to start by rifle assembly business.

Edited by jtischauser

I suggest you call Jim at Firebird & talk it over. There is no charge for talking & his guns are awesome as well as affordable.

MLM

Only problem is that every time I talk to him, I end up spending more money. :D

• 3 weeks later...