Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trouble with Shooting Chrony

Does anyone else own a shooting chrony and having troublewith it? I try to chono my 9mm and 45 loads but keeps giving me ERR readings. I have called company but can anyone offer any other suggestions. Driving me crazy.

I had one and could never get it to work. Eventually shot it. Got a pro chrono and the spots that the chrony would not work,the pro chrono works just fine. Err readings are telling that the sensor did not read.

If you just bought the chrony,i suggest you return it.

Mine works perfectly. But I use the LED sun screens so that the lighting conditions don't matter.

Mine too. I use it indoors (with light kit) and outside. When I chrono at matches, I am always on the money.

Edited by vluc

Does anyone else own a shooting chrony and having troublewith it? I try to chono my 9mm and 45 loads but keeps giving me ERR readings. I have called company but can anyone offer any other suggestions. Driving me crazy.

I shoot mine in the shade or on cloudy days, and

it works just fine - once in a while I'll get an

error message, but I fire 15 - 20 shots at a time

to average the velocity, so one error message is fine.

• 2 months later...

Good morning,

I've found the Chrony excellent in all lighting conditions as long as I use the skyscreens all the time!!

When I do, it can record accurately right into dusk. The manual says to use the screens on clear sky days, but I found that they should be used all the time. It suddenly becomes very tolerant of where the bullet path is...high or low.

Here's some background.....I purchased a Beta Chrony in 1995 and it was very sensitive; ERR all the time. A call to the factory at the time didn't help much. I put it in the closet and there it sat for 3 years. Finally, I decided I'd try once more and called Chrony. They said "send it in, we've got new sensors and lenses for it". When it came back, it was as reliable as a screwdriver! The technician who I spoke with said he used skyscreens all the time and recommended it. I've shot over a couple brands of chronograph in line with my chrony and there's no difference in recorded velocities (<10 fps).

Every so often, I think about getting something new, but I can't think of anything that a different chrono offers that is that much better than what this one does. I have the printer for it and that is nice. I guess if I could download directly to the computer without transferring from the paper to the spreadsheet would be convenient, but I don't mind. I just can't justify spending a couple hundred bucks to replace something that works so well!

Warmest regards,

Rob

update to my original post. i sent it back to factory for 2nd time and Mark worked on it and sent it back. They do have good CS. I shoot at later time of the day in the shade with sky screens with no obstructions over-head view. i have to shoot at 1 very small specific area right between the brass couplers and the it will register...sometimes.

Good morning, gmg,

I'm sorry to hear of your experiences with your Chrony; It sounds like your chrono is performing exactly like mine did back in the 90's before I sent it back for the new sensor lenses and software upgrade. If it helps, I can send the info on mine and you can share that with the factory to see if they can help. (I did forget to mention; I aim for a point 1/2 way between the unit and the skyscreens, and I do make sure it is parallel to the bullet path...it DOES seem more sensitive to that, but less so the higher you get, up to a point,over the sensor since the field of view gets wider)

Mine did go back to the factory last November (11/2010) for repair when the wind blew the tripod over and the plug to the printer got driven into the electronics. However, when it was returned nothing had changed in it's performance. I also checked to make sure it gave the same velocities for a given load (and a given temperature) as it did before I sent it out.

However, if you're like me, you may have had enough back and forth with it already and want to move on. If I can send info or specifics that may help, I'd be happy to. There's nothing more frustrating than equipment that doesn't work or doesn't work as advertised.

Warmest regards,

Rob

Edited by RobfromME

nothing but problems with two of them, readings changed with lighting, lots of errors, I went to a CED pro chrony and never looked back, always works, doesnt care if its sunny, cloudy, morning noon, rarely gets an error, matched readings at severl areas and nationals, and I see they can be had for $95. I just dont see any reason to do anything else.

• 3 weeks later...

i recently bought a beta master and took it right out after i arrived and got nothing but err2 messages (rear sensor not tripped) from shot 1. Called Chrony and they wanted me to return it to canada for repair but since it was DOA in my eyes, i returned it to the retailer for an exchange. Nervously, i brought this one to the range and much to my relief, it worked 100% as i chronoed almost 250 rounds of various calibers without so much as a single misread.

nothing but problems with two of them, readings changed with lighting, lots of errors, I went to a CED pro chrony and never looked back, always works, doesnt care if its sunny, cloudy, morning noon, rarely gets an error, matched readings at severl areas and nationals, and I see they can be had for $95. I just dont see any reason to do anything else.

Huh? CED doesn't make the Pro Chrony (as far as I know).

I use the Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph. I had problems to start with using it indoors so I bought the indoor light kit. I use that kit indoors and out and I have not gotten an ERR reading since I started using it.

• 4 weeks later...

After all I went thru, returning it twice and the frustration, i finally have it working 95% of the time. I have to use skyscreens, always, nothing overhead but air and you HAVE to shoot between the brass couplings on the posts coming up from the chronograph, in other words those posts are on the bottom and the others are on top. this puts brass couplers closer to sensors. I even had it sprinkled on twice, dried it out real good and it continues to work. It came real close to being target practice.

Been using mine for about 4 years, always use the screens, almost any lighting conditions work. Mine is not sensitive to shot location but I usually shoot high center above the brass couplings. Make sure you are shooting at the minimum distance specified for pistol/rifle. That's the only time mine has given me errors, too close.

David E.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't have any problems with mine indoors. I used the sky screens and two incandescent lamps suspended over them. As long as I was just shooting pistol indoors, I was fine. I would likely still be using it if I hadn't started shooting rifle. Outdoors, too much shade or the wrong angle of the sun and it might not work.

Take a magic marker and blacken the bullets and then shoot over the chrony.

I had to do this for some rifle ammo.

Don't chrono between 1100hrs and 1300-1400hrs, the sun is too high.

I've had that problem, even with the sky screens. Putting a USPSA target with the white side down on the wires instead of the skyscreens makes it work in very bright light. Only tried it with pistol though, not rifle. Also, if you are shooting on a slight diagonal, it can be cranky, you ahve to make sure you are as square to the sensors as you can be.

• 2 months later...

I have the Gamma Master with the printer etc, I too use the screens all the time, I have found with this unit if I run the rounds about 4-5 inches over the sensors its very consistent. I use bamboo sticks when my buddies are shooting their guns, I have a small pen laser that I hold next to their barrel and shoot the laser on the sticks, and have them take a sight picture off bags so they get the right zone,..then put a pc of blue masking tape on each stick at the right height,...the only time we get ERRs is when they shoot crooked across the sensors,...otherwise it works great, I like the printer too, we mark each run with the gun used, bullet etc, everyone gets their own printed copy..yea the software and user interface is not real friendly and it can be fussy, but after getting used to it we have few errors anymore..hook it up, turn it on and shoot...

Oh yea, distance from the muzzle can be critical too,..7-10 ft seems best

Edited by Ofishl1