Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ear Protection

Iggy42

Ok I have admit I am a bit lost. I am looking for some new ear muffs, but I am at a loss as to how much noise reduction I need. Also are electronic ear muffs that much better, i.e. is the additional cost really worth it?

I am hoping to get something on the slim side since I really do not like big ole' muffs sticking off my head, but I really don't know what to look for. Help

The "Clothing Options" episode covers hearing protection: http://www.powerfact...othing-options/

The electronic ones are worth it to me, but depends if you prefer to listen to people, or just have your own personal cone of silence. :-)

With that said, I went with MSA Sordin's Pro-X. I was tired of replacing my Peltor 6S at the end every season because of water damage. (It's rainy here in the Northwest.) I figured with the 5 year warranty, the Pro-X claim of being waterproof, it was cheaper than a 6S every year for 5 years. :-)

Search on the forum, there is a good discussion of which one and why people chose the ones they did.

Edited by Skydiver

Ok I have admit I am a bit lost. I am looking for some new ear muffs, but I am at a loss as to how much noise reduction I need. Also are electronic ear muffs that much better, i.e. is the additional cost really worth it?

Ask any old shooter/musician/anyone who has hearing loss how much they'd pay to have some of their hearing back. Once it's gone, it's gone, and while you will learn to live with tinnitus,it is never pleasant.

My advice is to buy as much hearing protection as you can afford (and then some). A few hundred dollars isn't much compared to decades of missing conversations or listening to crickets, sirens, and static other people can't hear.

If you wish to keep your hearing over the long term

Use as high a DB reduction as possible, and double plug

Jim, What did you say?...Repeat that Please,... :blink: I did not quite hear that....If you get my drift :rolleyes:

If I were starting over--it would be BOUBLE PLUG'S,if someone wants to talk to you walk away from the cof--away from the shooter-then remove one so you can talk and HEAR,

ringing in the aint good

I also prefer to double plug with electronic muffs. I can turn the volume up so that I can hear people talking fairly well, but have very good hearing protection when the going gets noisy.

Wether you go with electronic hearing protection or standard, I would recommend getting a set of gel earpads to go with the muffs. MSA makes a set that snaps into several different models, and David Clark makes a glue on set. Search 'gel earpads' for more info on these. The gel earpads make a much better seal around shooting glasses, and give just about any muff better protection. Even the smallest air gap at the face/earpad seal decreases the effectiveness of the muff quite a bit. You might see if you can test out some friends' earmuffs and see how they fit you.

Are you primarily shooting inside our outside?

Both really, my practice range is indoors but all of my USPSA shooting is outdoors.

Part of the reason I am asking is that one thing that worries me is the weight of electronic muffs, not to mention the size. I see that Pro Ears are popular, but when I see people wearing them they look like they have stereo speakers strapped to their heads.

And low NRR and high-priced.

I have these and really like them, may have to try out the gel pads. They were the lowest profile and most comfortable muffs I've had. I would NOT use them without foam plugs underneath. I'd like to mess around with the surefire plugs under them but haven't yet.

Edited by bofe954

I also prefer to double plug with electronic muffs. I can turn the volume up so that I can hear people talking fairly well, but have very good hearing protection when the going gets noisy.

+1

Most everyone around me has custom moulded sets the do here at most major matches but an audiologist can also make them. They're 40.00. The deeper the material can get into your ear canal the better reduction of sound. They also can do filters on them which seem to help hear sounds like commands but keep the muzzle blast out.

I shoot with those in - but I RO with Pro Ears on because on two separate occasions with the inserts in I missed a squib load (sounded just like a light strike) and someone else stopped them for me. When I see the Open guys with their hand cannons come up - I double plug.

Pro Ears or the like are the only way to go if you don't want to constantly take your protection on and off when scoring or calling scores. Yeah, my head and the inside of the muffs turn into a water bowl during the summer months, but I already have a 50db drop at 4000 - 8000 hz in my left ear and significant tinnitus at 37.

ETA: Another plus is you can't loan "YOUR" ear protection to someone because it just won't fit their ear. I still always carry disposables with me to help someone else out - but my plugs are mine.

Edited by aztecdriver

I wear Peltor TacSports, the sound quality closely rivals the Sordins I have worn and they only cost around $100. They are light and comfortable, and I forget they are on. They even have a jack for plugging in Ipods or a timer. The TacSports are like the step up from the Pro 6's.

Avoid the $30 Remington ear muffs, the sound quality is terrible and usually only in one ear. Not to mention they are usually huge.

Edited by Pelican82

Most everyone around me has custom moulded sets the do here at most major matches but an audiologist can also make them. They're 40.00. The deeper the material can get into your ear canal the better reduction of sound. They also can do filters on them which seem to help hear sounds like commands but keep the muzzle blast out.

I shoot with those in - but I RO with Pro Ears on because on two separate occasions with the inserts in I missed a squib load (sounded just like a light strike) and someone else stopped them for me. When I see the Open guys with their hand cannons come up - I double plug.

Pro Ears or the like are the only way to go if you don't want to constantly take your protection on and off when scoring or calling scores. Yeah, my head and the inside of the muffs turn into a water bowl during the summer months, but I already have a 50db drop at 4000 - 8000 hz in my left ear and significant tinnitus at 37.

ETA: Another plus is you can't loan "YOUR" ear protection to someone because it just won't fit their ear. I still always carry disposables with me to help someone else out - but my plugs are mine.

Are you wearing filtered inserts beneath your Pro Ears or do you use a simple plug beneath your Pro Ears?

I use the Surefire earplugs, a custom moulded earplugs (with filters), basic ear muffs, or electronic ear muffs. I have combined the SureFire with the basic ear muffs, but have found the custom moulded with filters work equally well for me by themselves when I am ROing. I have not run the timer for any open gun shooters, but if I did I would likely put on earmuffs over the plugs for a little more hearing protection.

Double plug with electronic muffs turned up max, I can still hear the crunching sound people make walking around, and it cuts out the very loud open shooters great. When it gets to hot and sweaty I just take the electronic ones off and still have protection.

I use the Surefire earplugs, a custom moulded earplugs (with filters), basic ear muffs, or electronic ear muffs. I have combined the SureFire with the basic ear muffs, but have found the custom moulded with filters work equally well for me by themselves when I am ROing. I have not run the timer for any open gun shooters, but if I did I would likely put on earmuffs over the plugs for a little more hearing protection.

+1 i just got some surfire earplugs with filters, I got to try them out this week at our 249 and 240B range, i was a SO sitting right right next to them all day they worked great, my last hearing test showed a improvement also. By the way 22,000 rounds of 5.56 and 7.62 three feet from me and no complaints whatsoever. :cheers:

I can see how the Surefire plugs protect for sounds coming in through the ear canal, but won't there still be sound transmission through the bone behind the ear? Or is protecting just the primary transmission method good enough for long term hearing protection?