Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Standing or sitting?

bgary

I've been reloading with my 650 (and previously a 550) for years. Couple of hundred thousand rounds, no pattern of light loads or s. Things seem to be working fine.

But, a friend was over at the house last week, and was horrified to see a stool in front of my reloading bench. "You sit down while reloading?" he gasped. "Don't you know that you have to be standing to work the press properly?"

Well, I have to admit, I hadn't heard that before. But having done a little digging, it appears that both Dillon and our Esteemed Host indicate that one should be standing while operating a press.

So, my question to the group is.... why is that? Is there something about the physics of standing that make the operation of the press more consistent, or ...?

For what it is worth, my bench surface is high (42" above the floor), and the stool is also fairly high... so when I am sitting on the stool, my shoulders are about level with the powder bar. Also, my guess is that if I were to mount the press on a "strong mount", and be standing, I would be in just about the same relative position to the press.

So, is it about my height relative to the press? Or is it about the physics of standing vs sitting? Or... ?

Bruce

Huh?

If you're using a strong mount on top of the 42" workbench, I could understand the "standing room only" policy. All my setups are engineered around sitting. And I plan to keep reloading the "wrong" way now and into the future.

[Dillon doesn't know how to long to set the timers on their primer filler, so what the heck do they know anyway. :P]

Wow. That's the first I have heard of this having reloaded for oh, 30 years or so. Lemme guess...your friend won't cross the path of a black cat and always throws spilled salt over their shoulder too.

As long as the press handle is manipulated properly and consistently the press really doesn't know any different.

Me thinks that this, like so many things, is all about personal preference and personal ergonomics.

Oh...and I am a stander at the Dillon but a sitter at the old single stage. :D

I guess the press will never know the difference...but your body might!

I mean, it's the same as working at a desk or with a computer for several hours: there is a good way to seat (I think it's called isometric position or something like that, the one that won't have your back aching after 1 hour or so), and a bad way (lean forward or backward, with back unsupported, and so on).

I guess this is the only real objection that could be made, but...on second thoughts...it might apply to standig as well... :unsure:

...I think you just have to work your "stance" until you settle to a position that won't have you feeling uncomfortable after a few time...

... and now I realize this sounds a bit too obvious... <_<

I've been sitting down to reload since the early 70's. My progressive, turrets, and single stage presses all seem to work just fine.

My new bench is tall enough to allow for standing while reloading, and my stool is height adjustable to be able to continue to sit if I want. I thought it would be good to have the option of sitting or standing in case my arthritis gives me problems.

I've been sitting down to reload since the early 70's.  My progressive, turrets, and single stage presses all seem to work just fine.

My new bench is tall enough to allow for standing while reloading, and my stool is height adjustable to be able to continue to sit if I want.  I thought it would be good to have the option of sitting or standing in case my arthritis gives me problems.

I have arthritis and I had two knee surgeries and so I can’t stand or sit in one place for long periods of time. I am set up so that I can stand or sit at my press. I bought a $40 bench that is height adjustable. I have mine set to 28 inches, which is perfect for both sitting and standing. A low bench height seems to work well with the strong mount while using a stool. I heard the same thing about not sitting but I have no choice, I think that as long as you are comfortable it won’t matter. Just be sure you are able to get a good smooth solid stroke.

I have a bad back and if I slump on a stool or stand for long periods of time reloading it kills me. I have an office chair that I sit on that give me some back support while reloading. I don't know how anyone loads standing for any length of time. I will continue to reload "the wrong way" myself. TXAG

I've only reloaded about 3 or 4 thousand rounds, but they were all reloaded while sitting at my fairly low bench with no strong mount under my 550. Seems to me that if you can move the handle smoothly all the way up, and all the way down, then you're doing it "right", no?

I do make sure to reload in the center of a pentagram drawn in goat's blood, though. If you don't do that, there's NO WAY to get consistently accurate ammo.

DogmaDog

STANDING allows me better leverage, more room to move with less strain overall. I don't exactly reload for hours on end, but standing was what we essentially developed my bench and setup for... so... STANDING it is. B)

I'm non-conformist with respect to both camps: I Kneel B)

(Actually, since it's a kneeling stool that I use, I guess it really qualifies as sitting.)

So long as you can correctly operate the press arm and don't strain any body parts doing so, I don't see what difference it makes.

I have tried both standing and sitting while using my 550. I find that I have more leverage, and can get into a better rythmn while standing. I have also found that putting 2 or 3 thick carpet sample in the area I stand has helped alot with the stress on my knees and back.

:P

I always stand up to shake hands, but my daughter stays seated to do so....

Oops-you mean reloading. As long as primers are properly seated, it really doesn't matter if you operate sitting or standing. For extended reloading sessions, just try not to be hunched over the reloader, to reduce lower back pain.

Haven't really tracked how many rounds loaded 300k+. Wife bought me a stool from IKEA. That came along with the 650. I raised the bench with 2x6's and used a strong mount just so I could sit and be comfortable. I have since grown to the 1050's. Still sitting