Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Happy Endings to a bad day

LChico

There were several times today that I would have said this was a totally wasted day. But two wonderful veterans I met today have left me with a smile on my face.

I made the 575 mile trip down to Florida from SC yesterday, planning to spend 2 days working on the Area 6 match (to be held in mid April) at the Universal Shooting Academy range in Frostproof. Just before I got to the hotel, a light went off on my dash: "check engine," and a warning tone. What? A look through the owner's manual & an Internet search indicated this could be literally anything.

Using the local yellow pages at the hotel, I spent the ENTIRE morning calling auto dealerships & repair shops to see if anyone could look at my vehicle. Either they did not have the computer to check my particular vehicle, or the told me they could "squeeze it in" next week. Not going to work for me - I need to return home Sunday. Several told me the warning light could be something that would not hamper my driving the vehicle home (like the electrical components that indicate the gas cap is loose or the tire pressure is low), but there was no way to know if it was something serious until it could be checked by a diagnostic computer.

By noon I was desperate, and finally found a dealership service department that said they would run the diagnostic test so that I would know if it would be safe to drive home. It was a part (EGR) and needed to be fixed before I drive home. The shop would not have time to work on it until Monday. The service manager, Mark, let me go to my car to get belongings, and I was calling a rental car company, and would have a return trip to FL next week to get my car back. The day was going downhill fast.

The service dept. manager pointed to the DOD sticker from Ft Jackson on my windshield & asked who was in the service (clearly it wasn't me based on age and physical condition- LOL). I explained that my husband "was a Marine." He said "IS a Marine. Once a Marine, always a Marine." I explained that I was using the past tense because my husband had passed away in 2008. After a moment of silence, the service manager turned to the mechanic & asked if he could stay late, because they were going to fix my car. The mechanic said it was fine with him. The manager turned back to me and said "It may run a little late. But Steve and I are both Marines. We'll get it done. Semper Fi."

I left the shop about an hour after the official closing time. Got nothing done on the Area 6 match, but it ended up being a very good day indeed.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC (temporarily in Sebring FL)

2nd time today I heard "Semper Fi". Earlier to while in the doctors office I was setting by an older feller wearing a USMC hat. We had talked a little and he was a veteran of WWII and saw time in the pacific. About that time another older Marine was being helped out from the back by his family. Seen the guy sitting next to me and yelled "Semper Fi".

The look in this guys eyes you could just see it come to life as he replied back to the fellow Marine Ooh-Rah!

What a great day!

Thanks for sharing!

When I was in the service there was a time I was with the marines as a medic in South America. I really miss hearing semper fi. A marine is a marine to the core until the day they die. And then they guard St. Peter's gate. An old marine told me that.

Reading that literally gave me goosebumps! Good for them that they are stand-up guys and proudly serve our country! That is rare these days.

Thanks for sharing and glad you didn't have to make the 7hr drive again to get your car.

I was stationed at Schofeild Barracks years back. We would occasionally do maneuvers with them , and they would often exercise on our parade ground behind our barracks. I was always impressed with their esprit de corps. It something that no other service I know of really has quite like the Marines. We are lucky to have them.