Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why a 1050, why not 650?

Popsmoke

I currently have a 550 and a 650.

Why would I need a 1050 over the 650 - what advantage does the 8 station press have? I mean I see the obvious use of hooking up a electric trimmer and a swager - but what are the circumstances where one would say - "Man, this 650 just isnt cutting it - I need a 1050"

I mean - maybe I need a 1050 and dont know it !?

This is a serious question.

Prime on the downstroke is #1 by a mile. I also thought it was pretty cool that you can adjust the primer seating depth so perfectly. Having the swagger built in is handy if you're loading anything with crimped primer pockets. R,

The flip side is that the 1050 doesn't carry the "no bs" warranty. If you lose a part or screw something up, you're going to be on the hook for fixing it on your 1050 (after the first year), whereas they'll hold your hand and send you a new one on the 650.

Besides priming on the downstroke, I find the ammo to be a little more consistent in terms of OAL and primer seating depth. Probably not that big a deal for what we do but it doesn't hurt either.

I have both and the 1050 is just faster. The handle stroke is shorter, the cases don't move up, the toolhead comes down so taller cases don't wobble causing crashes, and no additional movement for seating primers so they are more consistent.

+1 to the +1 of the prime on the down stroke. In addition, the primer seating depth is mechanically adjustable for each individual toolhead and the settings stay when you convert between calibers. For .223 I seat flush, on .40 ammo for revolver, I seat .007" below flush - every time and have great results. The action is very smooth, more power, and more room for clearing jams. It is true when they say if you need one, you already know you do and don't have to ask the question. I did not need one, but found an RL 1050 with 2 conversions for $900 and I smile everytime I set down to reload.

Lee

Edited by Mitch_Rapp.45

It is true when they say if you need one, you already know you do and don't have to ask the question.

I have to disagree. I didn't know I needed one until I tried it. Then I wondered how I'd been doing it for so long without it.

I never thought I would smile while reloading till I got my 1050, through Brian I might add. Priming on the down stroke is a biggy, but just the whole process seemed effortless compaired to the 650. The 650 is a great machine but 1050 is a full step ahead. Cranking out enough ammo for a local match in just a few minutes was such a pleasure. My time is the most valuable thing I have and I rather not waist it.

The 650 is a good machine and will do everything you need to load pistol rounds. Once you see and operate a 1050, you will wonder why you ever spent time loading on a 650. The quality of the machine and ease of use is a huge difference.

The 650 tips and tricks thread is over 200 posts, the 1050 thread is 13. There's not much to trick out when it's so close to "right" to begin with.

1050 vs. 650

I hate you all!!!! :P:P

I defend my RCBS with " I have more time than money" :goof:

Not so anymore! It was fine to throw together 200 or so .357 for a Saturday trip to the range. This new hobby of mine has me in the garage WAY TOO much.

Where is the best place to find a used Dillon 550?

see pic.

post-29482-062871100 1296362862_thumb.jp

B)

550's come available on this Forum from time to time-just got to be in the right place at the right time because they disappear quickly. Check your local Craig's list there in Austin. Other places to check would be Ebay and Gunbroker. Good luck

550's are great if you need a progressive in a number of caliber's, otherwise save the cash for a 1050. I'm new to this forum, but am well known to other NFA(or machine gun) forums. After loading on the 550 for 2hrs+ a week, now I load for 1.5hrs on the 1050 a week and can mostly keep the MG's fed. Just don't set up a 1050 in 3 or more calibers and you'll be a happy camper.

Seating primers on the downstroke + swaging on the press would be enough for me.

^^^^This. It's just plain rock solid and priming on the downstroke itself is worth the cost of the machine.

Prime on the downstroke is #1 by a mile. I also thought it was pretty cool that you can adjust the primer seating depth so perfectly. Having the swagger built in is handy if you're loading anything with crimped primer pockets. R,

Besides priming on the downstroke, I find the ammo to be a little more consistent in terms of OAL and primer seating depth. Probably not that big a deal for what we do but it doesn't hurt either.

They're right -- and for once Flex is wrong..... :P :P :P

I HATE reloading. Hence, I load my most frequently shot caliber on a 1050, to cut down on the amount of time I need to spend loading.....

The other calibers -- I struggle to load 500-1,000 rounds at a time --- on a 650, hating pretty much every moment.....

If I bought lottery tickets, and won silly money, I'd totally build a reloading shop/gun room/range, and build it big enough to stock a 1050 in every caliber I needed. Since I don't buy lottery tickets.... :D :D

I just bought a 1050 and am looking forward to not dealing with crimped primer pockets. I use alot of range brass, and crimped primers is a real problem. I plan on using it primarily for 223 and 9mm.

I also have a 650 and 550. I suspect I will be letting the 650 go after a while, and keeping the 550 due to its sheer simplicity.

But I love reloading, and this is great.

Many thanks to all those who answered my many questions.

Popsmoke