Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Skateboard tape on grip

Hi-Power Jack

I'm thinking of taping the grip of my STI TruBor,

since my hand tends to perspire, and my grip is

a little slippery as the gun came from the factory.

I know the advantage is better grip - but, is it

too coarse? rough on hands? any other disadvantages?

Anything better that skateboard tape to keep the

gun less slippery in hot, humid conditions?

Jack

Hello: Do a search for gip stipple or something like that. G-Man Bart did a great write up on how to do it yourself. I have done a couple of black grips so far but need to get the courage to do some coloured grips. Skate tape tends to move around on STI 2011 grips for me. Another option would be to do a grip coating using epoxy and grit. Again do a search. Thanks, Eric

The paint in painted grips tends to make them a little less "grippy" imo. I like grip tape if u really get the grip clean first. I also use pro-grip lotion as my hands tend to sweat and my grip on the gun suffers.

The paint in painted grips tends to make them a little less "grippy" imo. I like grip tape if u really get the grip clean first. I also use pro-grip lotion as my hands tend to sweat and my grip on the gun suffers.

Do you mean that you use grip tape, AND lotion - that means

the grip tape doesn't work that well for you? But, I guess

it's better than a standard STI grip?

Thanks for the tip about the paint - never heard that before.

Jack

I have used skateboard tape as well as have grit glued onto the grip. Skateboard tape worked fine and did not move around on the grip. However I found it not aggressive enough and the gun moved in my hands. My hands can be very sweaty in warm weather. In the end, I got grit applied to the grip and it has worked very well for me so far. Also I used climbing chalk on my hands as it helps to keep the moisture at bay!

I have tried to use the tread tape and it chewed up by hands pretty bad during dry fire practice. I would recommend Brooks Tactical A-grip. It works great for sweaty hands and it holds up well. I have had it on my 1911 for two years and it is still working great.

Gone hot and cold with grip tape over the years. Sort of in an in between place with it the last few years. I found that the Glocks unaltered grip allowed >me< a quicker, more precise purchase that I could, most importantly, maintain. "High grip" grip tape will help maintain good AND bad grips.

So today three little pieces of the stuff reside at the bottom of the fingers grooves. And another small piece is positioned where the support hand touches the grip and that's it. FWIW.

Jim

I'm thinking of taping the grip of my STI TruBor,

since my hand tends to perspire, and my grip is

a little slippery as the gun came from the factory.

I know the advantage is better grip - but, is it

too coarse? rough on hands? any other disadvantages?

Anything better that skateboard tape to keep the

gun less slippery in hot, humid conditions?

Jack

Personally, I love it. It hasn't been rough on my hands - yours may differ. I haven't had any probs with it moving on my guns, but mine are steel so I can't comment on the plastic-gripped guns. I like that it is removable and replaceable if needed. And cheap too.

I've been doing this for a while on my M&P and it does make a difference for me. I do want to try one of the custom ones instead of the strips of skateboard tape that doesn't tend to stay on very long.

I might try to stipple it some time and see if that works better.

I love skate tape. I am using it on an sti frame for limited gun now. i cut it so it goes up just to the mag catch and it wraps around the back strap with a thin piece into another full piece on the right side of the gun. i used electrical tape to depress the grip safety (ghetto i know) but it is what i like. Mine has never moved and i believe that is b/c it adhearse to the electrical tape a little better than the grip itself.

If you go to limcat's website they sell a silcone carbide covered grip for the 2011 sti frames. a little bit more pricey but the same idea it is just more permanent.

skate tape can be abrasive if it is in an area where the gun moves a lot. i have some on my slide as well and if i get my thumbs a little high on the left side of the gun it is real abrasive and i am going to modify that as soon as i get some time to move it around and play with the positioning.

i like it a lot

I use the rubberized stair tape that a friend turned me onto made by 3M. You can see it in my avatar picture on my XD. Most hardware stores sell it by the foot. I put that tape on it almost a year ago and it has not come off yet... I have another 1.5 feet of it in my range bag. Total cost was about 5.00.... ;)

Edit to add link http://www.shop3m.com/70070432540.html

Edited by Classic_jon

I use the rubberized stair tape that a friend turned me onto made by 3M. You can see it in my avatar picture on my XD. Most hardware stores sell it by the foot. I put that tape on it almost a year ago and it has not come off yet... I have another 1.5 feet of it in my range bag. Total cost was about 5.00.... ;)

Edit to add link http://www.shop3m.com/70070432540.html

+1 100%. I have this on all my M&Ps, rifles, and mags. It offers great grip but won't trash your hands. Also works in all weather (including sweaty hands). I went with a 50' roll of the 1 inch. Here is what it looks like.

0708101625a-1.jpg

For 2011's Bobby does a really cool grip application. Steel Epoxy, then works it just like stippling. Best thing going for aluminum grips if you don't like tape.

I'm running real skate tape on an M&P. Bought from a true skate shop, not hardware store. It's flexible and very very sticky (adhesive). It's very aggressive. I can nearly hang the gun off my shirt by the grip (like velcro). It's my exfoliation technique to cure rough hands.