Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite Westerns

benos

Me and my girl really liked (the new) True Grit movie. Afterwards she commented that that was the first western she'd ever seen. So I thought I'd take her on a western tour... I started with High Plains Drifter, then The Outlaw Josey Whales. Both of which she really liked. Next up is another one my Clint favorites, The Unforgiven.

So what are some of your all's favorites?

be

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

Blazing Saddles

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

I have been watching Gunsmoke on the Western Channel every night at 6pm central for about a month and am really enjoying it... I forgot how good that show was!

The Magnificent Seven.

Any of the John Wayne movies(McClintock, Cowboys, Hondo, Chisum, The Shootist)some are the same movie just with different names. All still good in my book.

I liked Open Range, with Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall.

Also there were a couple movies (made for TV) based off some Louis L'Amour books that Tom Selleck did in the late '90s that were pretty good.

"Silverado" tops my list of the recent movies and if you have not seen it, "Appaloosa" is pretty good.

Some of the old John Wayne movies are my favorites: "Big Jake", "Rio Bravo", "Sons of Katie Elder", "McClintock", "Shootist"

And lets not forget the biggest one of all, "How the West Was Won"

I'm surprised that no one has named Clint Eastwood's "unforgiven".

the showdown at the end is just epic...

Most people disagree with me and that ok but..

but I'm a much bigger fan of the spaghetti west with it's crude dirty conflicted characters, than the cleaned up idealized Hollywood west.

if you digg Sergio Leone's movies (the good the bad and the ugly, fist full of dollars, for a few dollars more, etc) a must see is "duck you sucker (fist full of dynamite)"

it is my favorite by far...

by the way, i saw the original True Grit on AMC a few weeks after watching the new one...

the new one is Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch better....

I know lots of people love John Wayne but the man was a terrible actor, his the Charles Bronson of western if you ask me.

+1 on Pale Rider. Must see Clint Eastwood.

The Sacketts, with Tom Selleck and Sam Elliott.

Tombstone, with Kurt Russell.

The Quick and The Dead, with Sharon Stone, Gene Hackman, Russell Crowe - if only to find one with a female heroine.

oh man i was not a big fan of the "quick and the dead" at all....

but the idea of a female heroine in the west is pretty cool.

The Outlaw Josey Wales is another good Eastwood flick..

My favorite movie is a western -- directed by Sergio Leone: Once Upon a Time in the West.

I pull something new out of it every time I watch it.

I also really like The Magnificent Seven.

Yeeeeees!!!

that one is good!!

Charles Bronson is pretty good in it too (probably because he doesn't talk :P)

Edited by carlosa

Me and my girl really liked (the new) True Grit movie. Afterwards she commented that that was the first western she'd ever seen. So I thought I'd take her on a western tour... I started with High Plains Drifter, then The Outlaw Josey Whales. Both of which she really liked. Next up is another one my Clint favorites, The Unforgiven.

So what are some of your all's favorites?

be

You pretty much nailed it, except for "Two Mules for Sister Sarah". The soundtrack alone is worth watching it.

Not really a western per se, but "Jerimiah Johnson" is pretty high up on the list as well....

Also check out "The Professionals", Lee Marvin, Burt Lancaster, Robert Ryan

And for comedic relief in a spaghetti western, look at the Trinity series, "They call me Trinity" , "My name is Nobody", etc.

Edited by GrumpyOne

We all, or most of us..Love the Duke and many of the modern westerns, most of the best have been listed

But dont forget the roots...Randolph Scott, Gregory Peck, and so many others from the 50s and 60s.

Many of those early westerns are as good as gold :bow:

Jim

+++ re Missouri Breaks, probably my all time favorite.

The Cowboys - a GREAT atypical western

Cat Ballou - Lee Marvin in a western comedy with a very young Jane Fonda

Charge At Feather River - this is a 1950's era 3D movie that doesn't need to be in 3D.

The Ox-Bow Incident

Red River

Lonely Are The Brave (Kirk Douglas' favorite movie)

It's awfully hard to make a case against Once Upon a Time In the West as the best Western ever made. Really Red River and The Outlaw Josey Wales are, in my ever so humble opinion, the only two movies even worthy to be mentioned in the same breath.

IMO... Red River is the best of the "early" westerns ever made.

Once Upon a Time In The West is the best western Ever made.

I liked The Train Robbers with John Wayne and Ann-Margret. Also liked some of the old Glen Ford movies, Fastest Gun Alive, and one about a hotel clerk that goes on a cattle drive with Glen Ford.