Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who would you get build a limited?

matt t

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sean @ powerfactorshooting seems pretty happy with his Briley 6 limited gun. I got to shoot it a month or so back and liked it a lot.

Other than that, I own a Bedell Major 9 that runs perfect and I have shot with Bedell Limited gun owners that had nothing but praise, soooo... I'd go with a Bedell if I were to get a Lim gun built.

• 2 months later...

Typically, SV deals with a small number of gunsmiths outside of SV.

Kodiak Precision has been building SV guns for a long time.

His guns are beautiful, accurate and reliable.

My friend says he needs a cigarette after shooting mine because it is better than sex. Of course he is now too old for sex. :roflol:

My friend has offerred to clean other people's guns. He attended gunsmithing classes in Trinadad Co. He uses this offer to see how well built the guns are from some known gunsmiths. Including many of the names listed in this thread. There are a lot of great shooting guns built by the names listed in this thread. You probably can not go wrong with any of the top choices:

Kodiak Precision

Matt McLearn

Millenium

Brazos

Bedell

Go to Robbie's website and look under special friends and you will see Don listed.

He is well known among GMs but probably not so much with most folks. His guns have appeared on the cover of a number of magazines. He is local to Mesa.

Matt McClearn built Nils gun and he won the Limited Nationals. Who ever heard of the guy before that. Hard to argue with success.

Where've you been, Hoss? Nils has been "The Man" since he turned 16.

To say that a McClearn gun will make you win nationals is foolish. I'd be inclined to believe that Nils would still be amazing even with another reliable gun.

Nothing against McClearn though. He's obviously a good smith.

I've built my own limited guns for a while now. I'm very picky and particular and feel that only I can build a gun that I'll be happy with. I've bought prebuilt guns before only to be disappointed.

That said, last night I asked Bobby to put me on the list for an FGW Limited gun.

To say that a McClearn gun will make you win nationals is foolish. I'd be inclined to believe that Nils would still be amazing even with another reliable gun.

Nothing against McClearn though. He's obviously a good smith.

I don't think anyone said that.

I do agree about the reliable gun part. And something that "feels" good to you also (mantal game).

Anyone that says "it's the indian, not the arrow" has never had a bad bunch of arrows. ;)

WG.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting note, Millennium Custom guns has "merged" into Akai Custom Guns. Shay Horowitz, who worked with Derek in some capacity or another (not 100% sure, but he had built guns with/for Derek). Anyway, there is another name that I would consider, along with some of the other fine builders listed previously.

WG

Try Shay at Akai Custom, he has recently done most of the work for Millenium Custom, he does great work and you will not have to wait a crazy amount of time for a gun, probably two, 3 months max, could be less as he just started up his own operation. Shoot me an email at teamgargoyles@hotmail.com and I can get you his contact info; he has some of his guns up on the Millenium Custom facebook page.

Regards,

Q

I am interested in having two limited guns built. I am not worried about cost. I would like it to look awesome and function great. Any opinions are appreciated.

he has some of his guns up on the Millenium Custom facebook page.

Regards,

Q

No more Millennium page, but Shay's is there.

WG

add edit here, my post, #92, I do not really think there was a "merger", nor a change in names, but more of a split. I still think Derek is a Top builder. Anything else on my part is speculation.

Edited by Wild Gene

A buddy just gob his 6" gun from Bedell and it was exactly what he wanted and he got it in exactly the time frame that they told him when he sent in his deposit.

A novel idea....more smiths should try that.

I shot his gun and all I can say is that it is awesome. If the magwell had been a little larger I might have done inappropriate things to that gun. It made me want to throw all my guns in the ditch.

A buddy just gob his 6" gun from Bedell and it was exactly what he wanted and he got it in exactly the time frame that they told him when he sent in his deposit.

A novel idea....more smiths should try that.

I shot his gun and all I can say is that it is awesome. If the magwell had been a little larger I might have done inappropriate things to that gun. It made me want to throw all my guns in the ditch.

what kind of time frame are you looking at with a bedell and any idea how it compares to a SVI or Limcat? Bedells pricing is really attractive in comparison to the two I mentioned, VERY attractive.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that Bob Marvel is one of the best smiths there is but he is not taking any new gun orders, at least right now. Limcat would be my choice, call and talk to Johnny, you’ll like him so much you’ll want to buy two.