Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Painting" a slide for a custom look

Pro-Pain

I wanted to "decorate" a glock slide to add some customization. I shoot USPSA and didn't want to engrave it to add an enhanced advantage (possibly could use engraving near front of barrel as make-shift slide serrations).

I wanted to "paint" a design on the barrel. I wanted to use color, not like an alumahyde/hard chrome finish covering the whole slide but only as a design, only to change the cosmetic finish of the gun with a logo/custom artwork.

Any recommendations as to how to "paint" the slide, something that will look good and I won't have to touch up or refinish every few weeks? I know not all finishes will last forever, but something that will hold up long enough to make worth doing?

I tried gluing bedazzler beads to the slide, but they kept falling off :wacko:

Edited by Pro-Pain

This forum isnt really full of gun guys that bedazzle their guns (goofy slide cuts notwithstanding).

Ill bet youll get more input from the folks at glocktalk.

Seriously, designs and stuff like that look horrible. Make a nice holster wear design; now that looks cool.

Eh, I say go for it, if it makes you happy - can't end up any more unusual than the typical trap or skeet gun. Unless you plan on carrying it in a war zone, or while hunting, I can't see what it hurts.

Now, personally I don't like the skulls/death stuff, but to each his own - might be best to avoid any naked ladies.

Use some krylon spray paint, it's pretty cheap.

The krylon paint will wear off in the holster in short order. What you need to do is engrave the cosmetic effect into the slide first to hold the paint. I recommend you use one of those little grinding wheels included with the Dremel tools. Don't be shy about it and keep grinding until you see the barrel and recoil spring. Spray on the paint in several thick layers and no one will know that the slide was engraved (avoids that enhanced advantage crap).

Be sure to post a few pictures when its done. You'll get Mike and surveyr to eat their words.

Bill

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't see who making a firearm yours is not part of what this site is about, nor this forum, but ok.

Look into having your slide dipped and sealed (Hydro Coating). Graphic Transferring has come a long way and is durable with the sealers they are using now. Just throwing out another option for customizing.

side note: don't have much use for Tacticool or Bling Wow, but that's a personal opinion.

Hi Mat, what paint did you use w/ that yellow slide? how does it hold up to daily range wear n tear? I like it ;)

its just basic krylon. It holds up pretty well. Better than I expected. and it takes about 30 seconds to touch up. and about 5 min to remove. When I want to change colors I just simple drop it in a bucket of acetone for a bit and then use my dremel and brass wheel and its back down to the white ready for new paint.

I did this because i live on the gulf coast in ms and everything rusts here in about 3 seconds being mid season i didnt want to be with out my ride while refinishing

A good example of what someone can do with some paint is Extreme shooters.I believe they use Duracoat but I'm not sure.

These guys never heard the word "can't" ;)

Plus one for Jason at Extreme Shooters. I have been one of his sponsored shooters for the past 2 seasons. My Open gun "Tiger" is on it's second season and still looks good as new. Extreme Shooters Website