Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Build; Gun Finish?

anilson

Here is the deal, i bought a used benny hill 6in slide from the classifieds and with the help of a buddy who is a good machinist, we paired it with a new sti frame i had. (i cant wait a year for a gun). Gun came out great and shoots aswell as I can. I the Benny slide is stainless but has a black coating on it. The frame is in the white. I like the black slide and light color frame look, but am open to all options. I will need to finish the frame at the very least. All the controls are SS.

So who likes what? Hard Chome? Ion bonding? I dont know a lot about finishes and i dont like to baby my guns with oil all the time. (I like low maintenance)

Thanks for input

Adam

ty-66052

I have Ionbond on my main limited gun and I love it! I am going to finsh my new open gun soon and I'm thinking of the same dilemma. I have heard great things about the FGW finish but I haven't seen of yet. I'm on the fence so I will be watching this post closely.

PS. Anyone seen/have the Cobalt finish in matt silver?

Edited by gng4life

I have Ionbond on my main limited gun and I love it! I am going to finsh my new open gun soon and I'm thinking of the same dilemma. I have heard great things about the FGW finish but I haven't seen of yet. I'm on the fence so I will be watching this post closely.

My Spartan is matte Cobalt but will need to be refinished. It is getting worked over at FGW. The slide will be done in Atranite. Plate-Tacular will probably redo the frame.

This what it did look like.

post-1793-044451400 1294576260_thumb.jpg

Hello: I would have it hard chromed both the top and bottom. I have 2 pistols that I had the lowers hard chromed and the uppers ION Bond. The ION bond has worn through and the hard chrome looks new. No matter what they say the hard chrome has to be harder than the ION Bond. Now I have to figure a way to remove the ION Bond so I can have it hard chromed? Another finish would be leave the upper brushed stainless and leave the lower so it gets a nice rusty color :roflol: Thanks, Eric

My Spartan is matte Cobalt but will need to be refinished. It is getting worked over at FGW. The slide will be done in Atranite. Plate-Tacular will probably redo the frame.

This what it did look like.

post-1793-044451400 1294576260_thumb.jpg

Why do you have to get it refinished? What happened to it?

Hello: I would have it hard chromed both the top and bottom. I have 2 pistols that I had the lowers hard chromed and the uppers ION Bond. The ION bond has worn through and the hard chrome looks new. No matter what they say the hard chrome has to be harder than the ION Bond. Now I have to figure a way to remove the ION Bond so I can have it hard chromed? Another finish would be leave the upper brushed stainless and leave the lower so it gets a nice rusty color :roflol: Thanks, Eric

Thank you, Erik. That's the most important piece of information I've seen in a long time. Advertising hype and photos of safe queens will get you. That seals the deal for me on IonBond, Atronite and all the other applied surface finishes.

I personally hate shiney guns. If I did Chrome it would have to be on a bead blasted gun. I still prefer the black finishes like Atranite. I've got a couple limited guns done that way but when was the last time they saw a holster. Now my VIP has its slide done in atranite and seems to be holding up but I can only carry on the weekends as work doesn't allow me to. :angry2: I've got a new .40 SS that is getting built now that one will show how atranite holds up to holster wear. With that said if you like the silver look go chrome and don't look back. There is a reason it has been around for a looooong time. If you like the black look try the Atranite. It seems

Hello: I really don't care about holster wear. My Spartan has alot of it :roflol: After I finsh all the machine work on the Spartan it will get hard chromed. I don't like the show chromed Harley look either so a bead blasted top with a brushed sides on the slide works for me :cheers: I do like two toned pistols so when I go that route I will Dura Coat the top over the chrome or just over the base metal. Thanks, Eric

Adam,

I just had my Springfield Stainless 1911 Atranite coated by FGW. I'll be running it at the match this weekend so you can find me and check out the finish if you like. I think for the price and the re-finsh guarentee you would have a tough time finding a better option if you want it BLACK...... If you want a little flash you can polish up the control systems like I did but have to demand some range time for the idea.. :roflol:

Rod.

(Not the French One)

Randy,

The chrono was $100 and i don’t think it works all that well, I promise that when i have a chono i like i will not leave it at the range.

I am not that into the brown color that nature will provide at not cost, but the thought of not having to lug the extra weight to the range was appealing.

A

I am kinda digging the two tone look myself. I have heard nothing but good things about the antranite finsih. Looks like a tough material that lasts. If it is used on milling bits, its got to be tough stuff.

Ion Bond, I would say no. I keep hearing about too many problems and customer complaints about them. Freedom gun works does all the prep work and works with the people who does the antranite finish, when my bluing comes off my gun, its going to him.

I have had good results with NP3. I have 1 pistol with 500,000 and 2 others with 250,000 rounds each. The 500,000 round pistol was originally a black Titanium Nitride that was very finicky with lube, temperature and dusty conditions

I also had a pistol with Roguard in the 90’s that held up well, sold it off with around 95,000 rounds.

Out.

2011BLDR

Edited by 2011BLDR

I have had good results with NP3. I have 1 pistol with 500,000 and 2 others with 250,000 rounds each. The 500,000 round pistol was originally a black Titanium Nitride that was very finicky with lube, temperature and dusty conditions

I also had a pistol with Roguard in the 90’s that held up well, sold it off with around 95,000 rounds.

Out.

2011BLDR

Wow, great post. I almost forgot about Robar and the finishes he had. I will look at them again too.

I just talked to Bobby at Freedom Gun Works (what an awesome guy!) about his Atrinite finish and it only takes 3-4 weeks to get it back. This is my first choice right now but I haven't decided yet.

I was disappointed to read the comments about the Ionbond. I really like it on my Limited gun but I only have a few thousand rounds through it so not a lot of experience with it yet. I will say it looks great and feels really good.