Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR-15 and primers that pop out now and again.

M ammo

Now and again I have a primer pop out of a round and get in to the trigger on my ar.

I have been thinking that I just might drill out holes in the bottom on the lower to give the primers a place to fall out of the gun. It would keep it from interfering when this happends,, it doen't happen alot but if it is going to happen,, it will be at a big match,, and not one seconde before. (Murghys law)

I have a JP trigger in the gun so one of those trigger mats dosnt fit it in, the gun shoots great,, just once and awile,, A primer,

I'm thinking as long as it doesn’t mess with the travel screws on the trigger and the other springs,, have the same point of purches to rest on.

It just might work. I'm not that wotrried about dirt and all that,, as it would be easyer to clean,, with bigger holes in the bottom.

Has anyone done this?, or tried this?

Huh....figure out why the primers are poppin out?

I have only had it happen with FC marked brass.

Primer pockets (as I bet you know) loosen up over time.

For awhile FC had the reputation of being a "one shot" and out case.

I don't shoot nearly as much as most of you guys do, but I have not

experienced primers leaving a case that was not a reload.

Good luck.

Patrick

I chunk the FC's in 308 and 5.56, done that,, I don't trust, them,, , this one was a Win, a surprise,, but it had been loaded more than once,, , just when it happens,, your done, with the problems I had fighting my 308 last year,, I'm trying to goof proof, early, as I have made some changes, new barrel,, 20 inch 1/8 SS.. shoots good,

24.1 2230 with a 69 is the load, runs, 3013Fps,, it holds well I tested it out to 500 it matches the drops in my Burris,

I have tried to fit a rug in it doesn’t no fit with Jp set screws,,

just thinking,, opening up the trigger hole? So a lost primer could just have a place to fall,

I chunk all FC brass when I sort and also if I don't feel some resistance when I seat the primer I mark the case to make sure it gets used for practice only. Had some problems last year with loose primers but since I started doing this I haven't had one.

I'm a big fan of Accurate Powders, but:

For a 69 gr. bullet, my OLD Accurate (Arms) databook lists 24.5 gr Max for 2230.

AND: the new data on the website doesn't even list 2230 for use with a 69 gr. Highest is a 64 gr. bullet @ 22.5 gr. of 2230 Max.

Your load is too hot, that's the problem.

Not to understate the situation,, and thank you very much for your comments and ideas,

this has happened once in this gun,, yesterday, I have had the gun for 8 years, and just put a new barrel on it, this load,, matches, the drops in my scope,, perfectly, no other signs of over pressure

I don’t see being able to crimp my own primers in,,

Out of the 300+ rounds I have put through this barrel. One, primer came out,

I have been shooting this load, in a 16 inch barrel for 2 years,, the same powder charge with a 55gr gives the same drops, as the 69,, Close enough,, out to 500. No pressure problems,

Like I was saying I had major pain and suffering with my 308 last year,, with primers falling out thank you JJ Rigger for the heads Up on FC brass, and with Redding Full Length Small base dies,, almost all other malfunction types have stopped,, on both 308 and 5.56/223

Other than a trigger rug,, has anyone tried any other,, fix? Or option for dealing with primers that come out,

I'm a big fan of Accurate Powders, but:

For a 69 gr. bullet, my OLD Accurate (Arms) databook lists 24.5 gr Max for 2230.

AND: the new data on the website doesn't even list 2230 for use with a 69 gr. Highest is a 64 gr. bullet @ 22.5 gr. of 2230 Max.

Your load is too hot, that's the problem.

^Agree. 2230 is a bit fast for 69s, and at the velocity you are pushing, yep. Switch to TAC or cut back to 23.5 MAX.

Sounds like a hot load in a tight chamber.

If your chamber is marked 5.56mm, I'd have it checked and/or reamed as another poster suggested.

On a side note, I've loaded a lot of FC cases multiple times, and I personally haven't experienced the problems I've heard reported on the internet with this brass.

However, the only primer I've ever had pop out was in a nickel plated FC case. I attributed it to the nickel.

Jim, dude...

Your load is TOOOOOO hot!!!

2230 is too fast for the heavies...

jj

I'm surprised you haven't popped more primers...the only reason you are getting away with it without something worse happening is your short (16in) barrel. :blink:

Edited by RiggerJJ

Balder dash! I have had pleanty of loose primer pockets from Winchester as well as FC. I have taken to hand priming ALL my match ammo and any case that doesn't have a real good primer seating feel gets tossed into the junk bucket to be shot and scraped in PRACTICE only!! I have seen guys use brass with the pocket sooooo loose that the primers fell out in the magazine! I thing MAMMO is the victim...although self victimised of bad USED brass, not too hot of a load! I know it is another step, but hey its a match after all!!! KurtM

I’m stuck between Balder Dash, and A Too hot place,

I’m not having a big problem, with this gun or this load,

JJ,,, My new Barrel is a 20 inch,,

May be I’m just being paranoid after my 308, experience, of last year,

Hand seating primers, would probably save more of them,, my 650 likes to eat, small primers, I’ll start doing that,,

It seems that many reticles, are calibrated for 62’s running 3200, looking at the Military market I suppose, this scope is set for a .308 150 Gr running 2750

In my 16 inch barrel this same load 24.1 2230 ran, 2719 fps in the 20 inch runs 3013fps

Testing shows that at 400 and 500 the holds are, perfect, so you can understand how I don’t want to change,

Instead of trying to match the Burris 7.62 drops, I could go with a Horus, scope and calculate the drops on any load, and get my dope that way,, and work the most accurate load side of this fractional math problem, seeing the calculations with the Horus reticle can be done for any load,, or ammo,

This gets me looking for other options, knowing other people have had this same primer problem, has anyone done another fix, from the trigger rug.

Baderdash???? who says that anymore... :roflol:

So which is it Mr Kert Muller? :bow:

I seem to remember, back when I was starting to load heavies in 223, asking you about using 335 or 2230 your response was that they both were too hot for the heavies???

Jim,

Espcially now if you are using a longer barrel and popping primers (when you wern't with the 16) is really leaning toward overpressure...What do your primers (that stay in the cases) look like? are they flat and flowing or normal looking???

Since you are loading on a 650, can't you feel the pressure needed to seat the primer? I sure can, and I do sort out the ones that seat "soft"...

Maybe try using LC brass? I haven't popped a primer from LC in 223 or 308, yet! (Knock on wooden head...)

at any rate, I'll stick my 1st impression, your load it too hot... :surprise:

jj

If I go over book I use either Scharch processed brass or new brass.

For any big match I use new or Scharch brass. Local matches and practice I use range pick-ups.

Really good deal on new primed brass:

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/259

Buy a thousand and that thousand will typically last for 4-5 big matches.

For loads with range pick-up brass I live dangerously and tumble loaded rounds 30-60 minutes. The agitation will cause the primers to fall out of the brass that have too loose of a primer pocket.

Baderdash???? who says that anymore... :roflol:

So which is it Mr Kert Muller? :bow:

I seem to remember, back when I was starting to load heavies in 223, asking you about using 335 or 2230 your response was that they both were too hot for the heavies???

Jim,

Espcially now if you are using a longer barrel and popping primers (when you wern't with the 16) is really leaning toward overpressure...What do your primers (that stay in the cases) look like? are they flat and flowing or normal looking???

Since you are loading on a 650, can't you feel the pressure needed to seat the primer? I sure can, and I do sort out the ones that seat "soft"...

Maybe try using LC brass? I haven't popped a primer from LC in 223 or 308, yet! (Knock on wooden head...)

at any rate, I'll stick my 1st impression, your load it too hot... :surprise:

jj

Thank you for the good responses, I don’t ask questions here to find out what I know, or what I think,,

Or to have you spare my feelings of all things,,

I do want to know what you think,, so thank you,

Yes I can feel the primers, seat,, Win brass,, usually takes a primer,, easier,, than other brass, and well I stopped using FC altogether, it is just not worth, the fight,, during a match,

The primers look ok,, they show pressure but not flattened out, If they flattened out,, they would not fall out of the brass,,, ( well maybe)

I’ll have to play with some slower powder and see if I can get the drops to match the Scope again,,

J.J. I said they weren't optimal for Heavies 75/77 for a light little 68/69 it is ok, still not the best but ok. Many a Prairie dog has fallen to the exact load that M Ammo is using, out of my rifle and while on the hotter side it never left a primer in my lower...the only time that has happened is when I got lax about priming used brass. BTW Happy New Year roomie!!

Note: Disclaimer, I only use heavies for Prairie dogs as that is what my 24" barrel really likes, not for any other reason, and cetainly not for match shooting....55s baby!!! :devil:

Cool Idea Relig! I like it!

Edited by kurtm

which Idea did you like the agitation part or the loose pockets part, because I remember how agitated you were when you were dropping change thru your loose pockets :roflol:

Happy New Year everyone, get home safely or better yet stay at home.

trapr

• 2 months later...

Balder dash! I have had pleanty of loose primer pockets from Winchester as well as FC. I have taken to hand priming ALL my match ammo and any case that doesn't have a real good primer seating feel gets tossed into the junk bucket to be shot and scraped in PRACTICE only!! I have seen guys use brass with the pocket sooooo loose that the primers fell out in the magazine! I thing MAMMO is the victim...although self victimised of bad USED brass, not too hot of a load! I know it is another step, but hey its a match after all!!! KurtM

I too have,,, just gone to, ""I have taken to hand priming"" after how many,,, lost primers, in my 650,,, I'm hand priming,,, so far good to go,,,

Jim m ammo