Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burris Tac30 1-4

ktm300

I am new to 3Gun and did not want to spend a fortune on a scope to start out. From doing a lot of reading on this forum and others I bought a Burris TAC30 1-4 from Midway. I also bought one of the Burris AR PEPR mounts to go with it. The total was about $400 shipped. I mounted it up on my STI last night and here are a few observations.

I thought I would hate the color but I think it looks pretty cool to have a little color on the all black gun.

I am glad I bought a mount that pushes the scope forward as I had no trouble getting the scope the correct distance from my eye.

The optic seems very clear and the 1x is very close to 1x. I have no trouble getting a quick sight picture with both eyes open. I was not able to do that with the 2x Aimpoint I had. I would have a lot of double vision issues with the 2x and both eyes open and felt like I was looking through a tunnel all the time. I am pretty sure this will work like a champ on hoser stages. I have no trouble getting full field of view when I mount the rifle quickly and try to get on target. Its almost like the scope is not there except for the nice red circle showing up.

The only issue I have so far, is the way the battery and is mounted and the button that turns the retical on and off, and adjusts the brightness. It pretty much sucks, the operation is not very intuitive, and the manuals instructions are poorly written.

I hope to have it sighted in and ready for our next match on the 18th. Looks like 3Gun in the snow is on the menu for this weekend.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been happy with mine. I am running the same set up. Only issue I have is that mine does not like to turn off... I have to hold the button 10+ seconds, and about half of the time, I find it has just changed the brightness.

But, not a big deal really. I have found that I really love the scope, love the reticle, and I like the reticle in black better than red unless it is a close up hoser stage.

The glass is good, and worked well in all lighting conditions so far. (However, never shot in snow :goof:)

Personally, I like the illumination button. It is in a great location, the 10 o'clock position allows me to turn it on, while prone without having to move my strng hand.

A few points however: You have to push it HARD. Fast and hard to turn it on then release or the settings will change. It does go auto-off in about 2 hours, and I've had mine on, at full for about 150 hours so far.

I did not get a manual with mine as it came direct from Burris, but I think I have it figured out.

Personally, I like the illumination button. It is in a great location,

A few points however: You have to push it HARD. Fast and hard to turn it on then release or the settings will change. It does go auto-off in about 2 hours, and I've had mine on, at full for about 150 hours so far.

I did not get a manual with mine as it came direct from Burris, but I think I have it figured out.

It is in a nice place. I will just have to spend some time learing to use it. I will try your suggestions, thanks.

You did not miss much on the manual.

Overall think I would buy this scope again. For the price it seems to fit my need very well. If I end up not liking it I am sure I can take a small loss and sell it with no issue. My guess is that it's a keeper.

We have an indoor range about 30 minutes from my office so I got to shoot the STI with the Burris today at lunch. With the help of MarkCO I have come to grips with the illumination button. I was trying to get it close for a match Saturday AM. With it on 1x I was able to shoot 2" groups off hand at the 25 yards the range had to offer. Pushing it to 4x got the group size down to about an inch off hand. The point of aim did not seem to change between 1x and 4x. It was easy and predictible to sight in.

I will know more after the first hoser stage tomorow but I had no trouble shooting with both eyes open at the range. The more I mess with this scope the more I like it.

I've got about 1000 rounds downrange with this scope now, including a large 10 stage 3-gun match. I am fully comfortable with it now. Fast, easy, clear. Granted I've not shot a 1-4 with a $2k price tag, but I'm not giving this one up. Out to 400 yards, great scope. Full sized USPSA/IPSC targets are fine out past 600, but 8" plates past about 500 get iify for me.

Just got one today, unfortunately it has some issues. Seems to actually be under 1x at 1x setting, it makes things appear further away and smaller (pretty obvious). It also has bad goggle'eyed effect when moving around or scanning set on 1x also. On a good note, the illumination is fantastic, goes from dim to very very daylight bright!

Edited by rc2125

Just got one today, unfortunately it has some issues. Seems to actually be under 1x at 1x setting, it makes things appear further away and smaller (pretty obvious). It also has bad goggle'eyed effect when moving around or scanning set on 1x also. On a good note, the illumination is fantastic, goes from dim to very very daylight bright!

There will be some edge effects at very close range, like in terms of feet. That may be what you are seeing.

Does anyone make a cat tail that works with this scope?

Since I had one of the first Scopes, I sent a note to Driscol and MGM here on Enos. MGM sent me one that was close. I modified it and then recomended a minor change that they are implementing on a current one that will allow it to be used on both models. There is a thread on here with the information and photos. Try TAC30 in the search.

MGM (makes the Switchview) can probably tell you if it is ready, or if not when.

I'm giving MGM my TAC-30 for a few days so they can update their design. I'll probably give it to him after the New Years Day 3-gun match, but I don't know how long it will be after that before they get the new design done.

Edited by Nealio

Did you adjust the black focus ring on the scope. Mine was way out in left field when it came in and the scope looked like crud. Once I adjusted it for my eye it was very good.

What loads/barrel length will work with the holdover points?

Whatever you want. Don't get fixated on the "standard" load. If you use the reticle dimensions with some good ballistics software, you will be able to easily develop your load card for your gun/load combination. I'd rather have a tuned and accurate load that be "right" on the numbers with a less accurate load.

With that said, my 55 and 69 grain loads are pretty close. If you want to really try to be the closest, it looks like a Nosler 60 grain BT is within a few inches out to 500 yards. It is set up for a standard 62 grain Mil-spec load.

I have one on the way as well, very excited about the price point on it. I still can't decide which mount would work better with the eye relief. I'm between a JP and Larue SPR-E. I believe the Burris PEPR and JP are about the same extended offset and I see plenty of people like MarkCO running the JP mount without an issue. My issue is that I shoot NTCH and have long arms and wonder if the JP will allow for the extra eye relief or if it will be to close.

Any suggestions?

My issue is that I shoot NTCH and have long arms and wonder if the JP will allow for the extra eye relief or if it will be to close.

The TAC30 in the JP mount all the way forward on the rail and in the mount, will result in the occular being about 3/4" forward of the back of a standard charging handle. So unless you have a really long nose, probably not enough. I've got the rail extension on my Firebird, but with the JP mount, don't need it.

I can lay out a ruler and take some photos if it will help.

I just ordered a Tac30 w/ a Primary Arms deluxe extended mount from Marshall at PA. Bundled, he takes $10 off the mount. The scope was $289 and the mount was $49, shipping was $15. I checked Midway for the black scope, they are still $339.

My friend just brought one over and I'm quite impressed with what it has to offer for the price! I think that this should help get more people into 3 Gun with the option of getting a good magnified optic without breaking the bank!