Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Surefire 60/100 Round Magazines

DyNo!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Initially mine would not hold over ten rounds. Upon disassembly I discovered the top spring was kinking over to the front of the mag body. Took a couple of tries getting it working correctly but it seems fine now. Not a great first impression though.

Very happy with mine so far I have ran it for a few months, I even used it at the pro-am on a stage.

I would like to see a rocker base pad made for protection and monopoding

and to keep out the sand and dirt that will get inside when going prone.

It is not the fastest mag to take apart and clean.

When I first loaded mine I could feel the whole thing sticking inside. Sometimes hard to get the next few rounds in and the top rounds would rattle around. If you turned the mag upside down some of the top rounds would fall out. Numerous malfunctions.

Took it apart and cleaned it, put it back together and it was fine. Loaded 60 rounds and dumped them fully auto with no problems. Seems to work great now.

• 1 month later...

I have one and im not sold on it. Dropped the mag to clear gun after finish and the magazine turns into a pepper shaker and the ammo gets stuck. I could see the same thing happeing if you jar the gun going prone or something like that, not sure ill bet my like on it.

Ran it once complete through with 60 rounds. No problem.

Ran it for first time in a match today. I loaded 58, ran 8-10 shots in one stage just fine through it. Put it up and the next time I used it in another stage, it fed fine for another 12 shots, then the follower got stuck and rounds wouldn't feed up. Dropped it and went to a backup PMAG to finish the rifle portion of that stage.

:(

Going to have to pull it apart and clean it up, I suppose.

Ran it once complete through with 60 rounds. No problem.

Ran it for first time in a match today. I loaded 58, ran 8-10 shots in one stage just fine through it. Put it up and the next time I used it in another stage, it fed fine for another 12 shots, then the follower got stuck and rounds wouldn't feed up. Dropped it and went to a backup PMAG to finish the rifle portion of that stage.

:(

Going to have to pull it apart and clean it up, I suppose.

Check your OAL on your ammo. All the problems I have seen with these mags have ammo loaded longer than 2.250. At the last match I was at the match director was having problems with his surefire. I loaned him some ammo and then in ran fine. It just does not like longer bullets.

Pat

i bought two, ran one at a match a few weeks ago. Four stages, most of them high round count - 2 stages w/40 rounds, 1 one 38, and then the last with 24 I believe. match was held on what were primarily pistol range bays, so we made up for lack of distance with lots o targets :)

used the same surefire mag in each stage, didn't empty it or clean it between stages just put more bullets in it. Never had to mag change so did not drop it on the deck. Surprisingly, it ran fine, and I emptied 50 rounds out of it on at least two of the stages. i'll continue to use them in matches and personal range practice to see how they hold up.

that said, the first time I was inspecting them when I'd taken them out of the wrap, i discovered the absence of the non-tilt follower by pressing down on the follower with my finger and accidentally jamming it up in the mag body 3" below the feed lips! I was pretty bummed out to find I'd rendered it unusable within 90 seconds of taking it out of the bag.

disassembling them was even more disconcerting - they do work, but it looks to me like some kind of voodoo that keeps their 9 springs, 8 primary/secondary/tertiary followers (and a spring guide) all in line. all right, i'm exaggerating but the innards of that thing still appear complicated as all get out. curious to see how these things hold up to getting knocked around, dropped on hard decks, contaminated with dirt/dust etc. It was really nice having a 60 round mag, no question, but my pmags have been very reliable over the last few years and I wouldn't trade a 30 round mag that always works for a 60 round mag that mostly works. time will tell.

Edited by jaredr

3 guys including me had the 60 rounders fail yesterday at our local match. Mine worked on one stage but chocked on the next. Sure hope I can get it to run because it sure is nice to not have to worry about running out of ammo but if its not reliable its pretty much junk.

shane

I've been seriously thinking about one of the 60-rd Surefires; I currently have only 30-rd PMags, and I hit a reload on one stage at FNH because I made up a single shot and needed a 31st to finish the stage...

On the other hand, my g/f and I both took extra PMags (that we don't really need) off the prize table at FNH, so I think I am going to start by ordering a couple of the Nordic +18 extenders for the new PMags and see how that works out...

I think I am going to start by ordering a couple of the Nordic +18 extenders for the new PMags and see how that works out...

I've run PMAG+Nordic+18 with no problems at all a handful of times. I only have one, and it runs smooth.

Check your OAL on your ammo. All the problems I have seen with these mags have ammo loaded longer than 2.250. At the last match I was at the match director was having problems with his surefire. I loaned him some ammo and then in ran fine. It just does not like longer bullets.

Federal XM193. Can't recall if I used any IMI XM193. Rounds were floating free in the mag body. I'll have to check a few rounds later.

Edited by AustinWolv

Mine is on the way back to Surefire tomorrow. In all fairness, I haven't tried working on it myself - I don't want to void the warranty if there is something truly wrong with it. I can't get more than 30-40 rounds in it right now and it did this to me during a 3-gun match last month:

I've been seriously thinking about one of the 60-rd Surefires; I currently have only 30-rd PMags, and I hit a reload on one stage at FNH because I made up a single shot and needed a 31st to finish the stage...

On the other hand, my g/f and I both took extra PMags (that we don't really need) off the prize table at FNH, so I think I am going to start by ordering a couple of the Nordic +18 extenders for the new PMags and see how that works out...

The Nordic extensions work well but I don't trust them with long match bullets as I had one hang up where the mag joins the extension in a match. After that I use this mag with ball only or shorter JHP's.

Pat

I would like to see a rocker base pad made for protection and monopoding

and to keep out the sand and dirt that will get inside when going prone.

I put a MagPul originally designed for 7.62x51 magazines on my Surefire 60. It's a tight fit, and does not completely close off the bottom, but it does provide protection and a non-slip base for monopodding:

Surefire60Magpul.jpg

My intent is to use this magazine only where I see a compelling reason (like high round counts from the prone position). For standing hoser stages (no prone shooting), I think I will stick with my 60 round magazine made from a pair of PMAGs and a CCW coupler, which is just plain easier to clean if I dump it in the dirt:

SBRGreenBigMagRHS.jpg

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I've been seeing some deals on the 60 rounders lately but I think I I'll wait until they have the bugs worked out. Heard way to many complaints lately.

Mine is going back for the second time.

Nose dives and about rd. 30, the shells become loose.

Tried different bullets, different guns, same thing.

Next step is to try to get my money back.

Shot a match with a guy that had three of them.

One works, the other two don't.

Customer service is great but if they don't work, it

does not help matters any.

• 2 weeks later...

Got one off the prize table today the the FB3 gun match. After seeing many of these at the match, I wanted one. Now I have one, thanks to the sponsorship of Surefire. Sorry to report it won't feed for sh!t. Took it apart, 3 springs, 2 followers, a "guide" and a base plate. I cannot see anywhere that it might be hung up. Putting it back together is a real bitch. No luck so far, the alignment that you have to do is nuts. I've been fracking with it for 30 minutes and am ready to pitch it. thanks but no thanks.

I've been seeing some deals on the 60 rounders lately but I think I I'll wait until they have the bugs worked out. Heard way to many complaints lately.

I have a 60 rounder that my daughter and I used on every rifle stage at the Multi-Gun Nationals in two different rifles. Ran 100%. I've also tried it in another rifle I have it runs fine in that one too.

Edited by TMC

If you get the Nordic extension and it hangs up on you or doesn't work properly make sure you disassemble it and file/grind/smooth the transitions to the PMag and then it will work perfectly.