Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Surefire 60/100 Round Magazines

DyNo!

guess i'm late to the party, just saw an ad for these and checked out the videos on surefire's site. products look interesting and they appeared reliable in surefire's staged product demonstrations on video. maybe it's just me but I thought surefire's sales pitch video came across as an embarassing piece of hucksterism and ass-banditry disinformation. starting off by demonstrating that you can do a static 200 round mag dump much faster using surefire's 100 round magazine and then advocating that as a huge selling point was an embarassment, and (I thought) insulting to anyone in the mil/le community to whom they're marketing this stuff. or maybe their marketing people are much smarter than me and they're really just winding up the "military applications" and flag waving sales pitch so all the tommy tactical folks will buy an trunkload of them and keep them loaded up in case or armeggedon.

I think it's great that they're engineering higher capacity magazines, and competition for magpul on this front will benefit everyone (new product development, competition between vendors on pricing, etc). I guess i shouldn't be surprised that a staged sales video doesn't touch on any of the potential drawbacks from applying this product in a non-gaming scenario (simplest being that using 100 round mags to carry a 7 mag loadout in 2 mags means if you have 1 magazine failure you just lost use of half your ammo). Sorry to get on a soapbox, I just felt the whole sales pitch was so obtuse it insults anyone who actually goes into harms way. There, I feel better for bitching in public. I'll probably buy a 60 round for multi-gun, will just be sure to paint it tan so everyone knows i'm using the same kit as the guys "in the sandbox" :angry:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow dude...seriously, chill out. The SureFire guys that I talked to at the booth at SHOT were also a bit embarassed by the video. None of them plan to do 200 round mag dumps or most of the other dumb stuff on the video. It's marketing. I also know they weren't intending anyone to replace all their mags with them. The guys that I talked to said the intent was for the mag in the gun to be the big one, either 60 or 100, with the intent to use an initial high volume of fire to break an ambush and then move on to conventional mags. For my patrol rifle I carry two mags on a Firebird dual mag set up. I won't be changing that setup. I want to have the second mag in case something goes wrong with the first. If I was running more than two mags that first one would definitely be a 60.

guess i'm late to the party, just saw an ad for these and checked out the videos on surefire's site. products look interesting and they appeared reliable in surefire's staged product demonstrations on video. maybe it's just me but I thought surefire's sales pitch video came across as an embarassing piece of hucksterism and ass-banditry disinformation. starting off by demonstrating that you can do a static 200 round mag dump much faster using surefire's 100 round magazine and then advocating that as a huge selling point was an embarassment, and (I thought) insulting to anyone in the mil/le community to whom they're marketing this stuff. or maybe their marketing people are much smarter than me and they're really just winding up the "military applications" and flag waving sales pitch so all the tommy tactical folks will buy an trunkload of them and keep them loaded up in case or armeggedon.

I think it's great that they're engineering higher capacity magazines, and competition for magpul on this front will benefit everyone (new product development, competition between vendors on pricing, etc). I guess i shouldn't be surprised that a staged sales video doesn't touch on any of the potential drawbacks from applying this product in a non-gaming scenario (simplest being that using 100 round mags to carry a 7 mag loadout in 2 mags means if you have 1 magazine failure you just lost use of half your ammo). Sorry to get on a soapbox, I just felt the whole sales pitch was so obtuse it insults anyone who actually goes into harms way. There, I feel better for bitching in public. I'll probably buy a 60 round for multi-gun, will just be sure to paint it tan so everyone knows i'm using the same kit as the guys "in the sandbox" :angry:

You always could carry more mags as well. Nothing is saying you have to stick with a 200 round load out. More ammo is better. The only time you can have too much ammo is if you fall overboard off of a boat.

Pat

Did I miss something regarding rules and monopoding? Are the rules being changed to eliminate the use of these mags or something?

From what I've heard, Rocky Mountain has said no monopodding off them and FNH has said no to anything over 30 rounds in Tactical. Not sure if anyone else is going goofy.

Did I miss something regarding rules and monopoding? Are the rules being changed to eliminate the use of these mags or something?

From what I've heard, Rocky Mountain has said no monopodding off them and FNH has said no to anything over 30 rounds in Tactical. Not sure if anyone else is going goofy.

Actually, RM3G has not "said" anything, but they did update the rules Dec 2010. Specifically:

Rule 6.c. (Tactical Class) No rifle external supporting devices are allowed in this class. (i.e. bipods,

vertical foregrips that are rested on ground or props, cinched mags or mag pads/additions designed to enlarge the footprint of a single mag that are rested on the ground or props). There are NO “beta/C” or drum mags allowed in this class. Only traditional double stack mags allowed. (Cinched mags must be offset a minimum of 2 inches to avoid being considered an external supporting device.)

Since the Surefire is a four column magazine (not a traditional 2 column magazine) the rules indicate that the SF magazines will not be allowed in Tactical Class. Therefore, only allowed in Open.

Well I guess that saves me $130 then. I'm not against a 30 round mag cap for Tactical either. I don't like the length of Nordic extened Pmag and figured the Sure fire would be perfect.

Thanks for the info.

I'd check with JJ or Denise to be sure. The "said" in my post was intended to imply they have not "posted" anything here on Enos, I should have been more precise, my appologies. However, based on the PMs I got, some have the impression that my post is not correct as some in-person conversations have left others with the impression the SF mags will be allowed.

Mark,

I don't think your post (#34) is at all imprecise. You quoted the rule, and that is what it says, in part, "Only traditional double stack magazines allowed" I don't think it is at all confusing either, as the new SF super hi cap mags ARE 4 column mags, they are only allowed in Open Division.

jj

Perhaps a rifle mag length gage will be in order soon. "Tactical division: Double column mags that fit the gage." I don't mind having to do mag changes in a stage, if everyone in the division has to do them there is no disadvantage.

For my battle rifle, the SF mags will be awesome. I wonder how long it takes for them to have an NSN?

• 6 months later...

I received one this past Wednesday I ordered from Midway so long ago I almost forgot about it. I have run three stages with it at O3GC, they flat work. Narrower than coupled mags, but still a great prone rest. Don't ask me how I am going to clean the thing, the schematic looks like it has three different springs and two followers. The most I have run through it so far is 38 at once, but it saved me a mag change.

FWIW, I think it was well worth the money.

Anyone tried them with a Arrendondo mag well?

Mark K

We tried my 60 round surefire on a fellow shooters AR with an Arrendondo mag well. It ws a no go, wouldn't go in far enough to seat the mag

Edited by Marv Z