Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR trigger suggestion

Blackfin2

Coming from a dyed in the wool rifle and handgun hunting background, when I looking at starting the 3-gun comps, what trigger you recommend for 3-gunning? The rig as it sits has high end parts everywhere but the trigger, which all DPMS lower assembly.

Let me know you recommendations, all chime in please.

Wayne "Blackfin"

1 stage : Jard 1.5 lbs adjustable

2 stage : AR Gold

You can make JP nice too, if you adjust sear engagement way tighter than what JP instructions say.

Of course, "nice" trigger may be completely different thing to different shooters ;)

I have both JP and Timmney. Both are very nice but I would lean towards JP because you can send them your lower and in 2 weeks it comes back with a perfect trigger installation by guys that do it for a living. No DIY hassle and worry. Plus JP is a huge supporter of 3 gun.

Doug

Realize, there is JP, JP and then JP. Installed by JP to your specs, installed by someone who knows how to set up a JP trigger...both great. I've shot some JPs that did not feel great, but they were not installed correctly or tuned correctly.

Mark, I have tested ~20 JP factory installed triggers (in JP factory rifles), not a single one of them has been what I myself would call "nice". You can make them nice, but often you compromise durability and have to tune them again after every 4000-5000 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              4000-5000      end_of_the_skype_highlighting shots.

People have different thoughts and some shooters are completely satisfied with something other shooters do not want to use at all :)

Thanks guys for the insight, I will absorb what you have put out there and choose one, my first impression is to go with Timney for now. WIll let you know once I get it installed and a couple of 100 rounds thru her.

Thank you

Wayne

I dont think you will be disappointed with the Timney. I would suggest the 2lb if its for competition use over the 4lb. My personal preference I guess.

I can reccommend the JP trigger without reservation.

It is important to consider that an insanely light pull is not the end all be all to triggers. Yes the Jards can be adjusted very light but they have very little reset feel. IMO the same for the AR Gold. It broke lighter than my JP's but at speed on faster targets I would lose the feel of the reset as it was too soft for my liking.

I have a Giessele on the way and I have heard good things, we'll see.

After talking to many of the multi-gun people at Rio Salado, the Accuracy Speaks trigger does not suck.

Here is a picture of the shop owner Derrick Martin (Mr. Sunshine). Not to hard to pick out.

post-1015-067281500 1291482405_thumb.jpg

I don't think the ARgold would be classed as a 2 stage but rather a single (crisp glass rod break)...but I've been wrong before.

:wub: The ARGold trigger...your mileage may vary though. I like the fact that I can break a shot, hold the trigger back, and barely release pressure to hit the reset point and break a second shot. I'm no pro but I like what I like.

Each of the listed triggers are fine triggers. Try to feel before you buy. I think the article below helps though.

Quote from ARGOLD site (American Trigger Corp)

Crisp Vs. Rolling

When most shooters think of a great trigger they are thinking "Crisp." Which is to say no detectable trigger movement (creep) as weight is added to the break point. This is the "Glass Rod" trigger feel. There are some shooters who prefer a “Rolling” trigger. A great Rolling trigger has perceptible movement with no change on weight during the movement, slick with no hint to let off point; like pushing a frosty glass mug across a glass table top with your eyes closed – you know it’s moving, but you can’t feel it going over the edge. This type of trigger is OK for close high speed shooting, but is not optimal when a precison shot is called for. The AR Gold was designed to provide a Crisp feel, with super short reset.

"For those that demand the best in a precision trigger for the AR-15 rifle, American Trigger has cracked the code with the AR Gold trigger, It simply is the final word in 'crisp sear release' for target or competition shooting."

- Ken Hackathorn

The AR Gold is a two stage, definitely not a single stage.

I played around with the Super 3-Gun Geiselle today. I didn't like it as much as the other Geiselles, but that's just me.

JP single stage is my preferred trigger, but I also have AR Gold and Geiselle.

Edited by TruePunisher